Grant Millington

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Grant Millington

Post by The Fox » 04 May 2018, 13:05

westyorkylad wrote:
Mysterio wrote:Millington’s better than Vowles was. Overall.

Nikau was a very dynamic skillful player. However, if you look back on old videos you’ll see a lot of arms, legs, dummies and bluster, and plenty of mistakes. Plenty! Nikau, in my opinion, wasn’t as good as we all seem to think.

Because T was ahead of his time in terms of fitness and athleticism and could play with the ball and was big, and different to most, we took to him so very much. Rightly so, but, millington is the better player for me overall.

I think Grant is our best overseas signing, or will be come the end of his deal. Loyalty means even more nowadays too.

That said, I’m one of very few who thought Dale Fritz was better than Vowles too!

Don’t get me wrong on Ady by the way, tremendous commitment and servant. Had a marvellous 1999 and most of 2000.....
Was going to post the very same but you beat me to it.

Also rated Dale Fritz very highly, the best tackler I have ever seen in a Cas shirt, some of his hits were absolutely brutal, a joy to watch if you enjoy the D as much as A.
Ronnie Gibbs must have been before your time then??

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nu Shooze » 04 May 2018, 14:09

The Fox wrote:
westyorkylad wrote:

Nikau was a very dynamic skillful player. However, if you look back on old videos you’ll see a lot of arms, legs, dummies and bluster, and plenty of mistakes. Plenty! Nikau, in my opinion, wasn’t as good as we all seem to think.

Because T was ahead of his time in terms of fitness and athleticism and could play with the ball and was big, and different to most, we took to him so very much. Rightly so, but, millington is the better player for me overall.

I think Grant is our best overseas signing, or will be come the end of his deal. Loyalty means even more nowadays too.

That said, I’m one of very few who thought Dale Fritz was better than Vowles too!

Don’t get me wrong on Ady by the way, tremendous commitment and servant. Had a marvellous 1999 and most of 2000.....

Also rated Dale Fritz very highly, the best tackler I have ever seen in a Cas shirt, some of his hits were absolutely brutal, a joy to watch if you enjoy the D as much as A.
Ronnie Gibbs must have been before your time then??
Ronnie could hit, but there was generally a lot of flailing around involved. Dale hit clean and hard with great technique and was tremendous to watch.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 04 May 2018, 22:13

Gave away less penalties than Gibbs as well.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 04 May 2018, 22:46

Spanishtiger wrote:Gave away less penalties than Gibbs as well.
plus less time watching due to suspensions.....Ronnie was fantastic entertainment though

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 04 May 2018, 22:51

Never forget him staggering off at half time against Wakey. He didn't know what day it was. He was totally fearless and a danger to himself and the opposition.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 05 May 2018, 11:49

Nu Shooze wrote:
The Fox wrote:
westyorkylad wrote:

Ronnie Gibbs must have been before your time then??[/quote

Ronnie could hit, but there was generally a lot of flailing around involved. Dale hit clean and hard with great technique and was tremendous to watch.
This.

Ronnie Was a marketeers dream. Technically though, he wasn’t the best.

Dale Fritz, without a doubt, was the best tackler I have EVER seen. The good thing is, I knew that when I was watching him and was able to enjoy the hits.

He literally was like a shark attacking its prey. Hitting the opposition from a crouching position, upwards. Not only that, he could adapt too.

I remember when Neil cowie came down the lane with the mighty Wigan. NOBODY in the league could tackle him one on one, and I mean bloody nobody at the time.

Cowie must have been 4 stone heavier than Dale (15 Stone v 19 at least )

Every single time cowie drove that ball in, dale spotted him and absolutely smashed him to bits. By grabbing his chest and using his weight against him (lumberjack throw?!?! Or something similar it’s called I’ll embarrass myself there lol) he made no inroads into our pack that day.

It will live long in the memory and it was a pleasure to watch. Raper and dale had obviously discussed man marking cowie and fritzy was like a man possessed that day.

Best tackler I’ve ever seen bar none.

Dale was a great bloke too, drank a few times in legends with him, he’d talk to anyone and even bought me and my pals a beer.

Wish he could see the comments as he was an unassuming fella .

Anyone else remember fritzy in this way?

Vowlsey tried to smash blokes too and had just as much commitment as dale. The only difference was dale was BORN to defend (smash) and his technical ability was second to none I’ve ever seen before or since.
Audacter Et Sincere

heppy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by heppy » 05 May 2018, 11:57

Fritz also scored the best try Ever in a Cas shirt all of 30 centimetres tobeat Leeds at Headingley.his only try that season.

steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 05 May 2018, 12:05

Mysterio wrote:
Nu Shooze wrote:
The Fox wrote:
westyorkylad wrote:

Ronnie Gibbs must have been before your time then??[/quote

This.

Ronnie Was a marketeers dream. Technically though, he wasn’t the best.

Dale Fritz, without a doubt, was the best tackler I have EVER seen. The good thing is, I knew that when I was watching him and was able to enjoy the hits.

He literally was like a shark attacking its prey. Hitting the opposition from a crouching position, upwards. Not only that, he could adapt too.

I remember when Neil cowie came down the lane with the mighty Wigan. NOBODY in the league could tackle him one on one, and I mean bloody nobody at the time.

Cowie must have been 4 stone heavier than Dale (15 Stone v 19 at least )

Every single time cowie drove that ball in, dale spotted him and absolutely smashed him to bits. By grabbing his chest and using his weight against him (lumberjack throw?!?! Or something similar it’s called I’ll embarrass myself there lol) he made no inroads into our pack that day.

It will live long in the memory and it was a pleasure to watch. Raper and dale had obviously discussed man marking cowie and fritzy was like a man possessed that day.

Best tackler I’ve ever seen bar none.

Dale was a great bloke too, drank a few times in legends with him, he’d talk to anyone and even bought me and my pals a beer.

Wish he could see the comments as he was an unassuming fella .

Anyone else remember fritzy in this way?

Vowlsey tried to smash blokes too and had just as much commitment as dale. The only difference was dale was BORN to defend (smash) and his technical ability was second to none I’ve ever seen before or since.
That’s exactly how I remember Fritzy mate. He was an absolute soldier for the team. The strongest memory I have, is not of him smashing anyone who dared run within 6’ of him though. It was his farewell speech to the fans where he broke down. You could see there was so much fight left in the bloke, but his body just couldn’t cope anymore. That remains the saddest thing I’ve ever seen/heard on a rugby pitch.
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 05 May 2018, 13:10

I think people forget how good that side stuart raper built was taffy raper was a good player i remember him having a blinder when we beat leeds in the play offs
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi