Next Magic Weekend

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Next Magic Weekend

Post by daytona » 21 May 2018, 21:19

c'mon wrote:Stood on the roof of the Strawberry, in my postage stamp of space, watching and listening to fans from every club, jibe, call, insult (in a nice way lol) each other.
Standing inside the same pub, listening to fans from many differing teams join in singing Sweet Caroline at the top of THEIR voices.
Talking to stewards who gave up their weekend off 'because its such good craic with the rugby crowd'

Its simple RFL -
Its not the rugby that makes it a great weekend, although we all love it.
It's not the stadium that makes it special. But where it is helps.
It's not taking the sport of Rugby League to a new audience that is the key.

Its having a venue in a city that creates atmosphere, where fans mingle outside the ground in many bars and eateries.

The weekend is MAGIC because the FANS make it MAGIC the RFL the teams and Superleague may own a fantastic weekend of rugby

But the fans OWN THE MAGIC

Challenge Cup has its home at Wembley
Grand Final has Old Trafford

We have been to a number of venues for Magic Weekend

Newcastle for me is where the MAGIC happens

I vote we keep Newcastle - it works - stop trying to fix what's not broken and concentrate on fixing what is.
Excellent post, couldn’t agree more. Been recovering today with a big red face no voice and loads of memories. I don’t think I’ve ever laughed as much all weekend. Rugby league fans are the best people you’d ever have the pleasure of meeting. Every year it gets better for me in Newcastle. Perfect venue, roll on next year!

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 22 May 2018, 18:15

lurcher wrote:
North Leeds Tiger wrote:Newcastle was great for me, Coventry wont work as its too far away from the town and other bars.
If It had to move - what about Glasgow ?, Ibrox, Hampden and Parkhead are all a couple of miles from the city centre any one of these will be big enough
have you seen the pubs around there? seriously scary and most of them had the windows bricked up the last time I was up there.
Given the history of Northern Ireland/West of Scotland I don't think i would feel safe in a boozer in the East End of Glasgow wearing Orange...it would probably be even worse for the Red,white & blue wearers from over the common!. So if it was at a Parkhead or indeed Glasgow it would be a no from me!

What i would do is keep the magic weekend at Newcastle,but the winner of this years Grand final plays the Challenge Cup winners over in New York!. After the final game on the Saturday on Sky,the coverage switches stateside. I think Sky would love that. Think N.Y has two M.L.S soccer sides so im guessing the stadiums would be adequate for the event and played on grass!.

Then i would invite a couple of sides from Championship 1 or even the Womens Super league to make up the fixture hole in Newcastle.

viva brad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by viva brad » 22 May 2018, 19:39

We stayed in Whitley bay this year and the place we stayed said they were sad that magic weekend would not be in Newcastle next year we replied isn’t it is that right and they said they had been informed by their business that it was going to Manchester next year.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 23 May 2018, 11:48

Why not have magic weekend at Newcastle as usual, the make another one for round 22 ?

But split it over 2 venues, eg Nottingham on Saturday and Coventry on Sunday. You could call it the Grand Day Out or something.

Cities would have to bid for the G.D.O. and in order to fill the grounds and reduce costs for speccies your season ticket would get you in free.

Each SL team loses a home game which would get rid of the unfair 23rd round. But the fans would still get the same number of games included on their season ticket.

Also by making it a 2 stadium thing there would be less wear on the pitches and you could go to smaller grounds. Obviously each year you'd pick 2 places close together in case fans fancy making a weekend of it, and charge a reduced admission for ST holders of clubs not involved on that day.

You'd probably get more locals coming along as round 22 wouldn't clash with anything except a bit of cricket.

Sky get 4 extra TV games at a time of the year when they're crying out for stuff to show.

You could go with Notts and Cov one year, then Bristol and Gloucester, then Wolves and Birmingham, then review how it's gone and make decisions accordingly, if Birmingham went well but Wolves didn't you could go Brum and Stoke, or Notts and Derby etc.

Just a thought.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 23 May 2018, 12:09

Scrap the 2 game weekend in Easter

Second magic Bank Holiday last weekend in May

Make it so fans would be willing to travel
No point in going to Manchester

So Dublin as a suggestion for one possibly South West Area as another

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 23 May 2018, 15:00

stuey wrote:Typical stupid idea by the RL. Do they not consider the supporters of the clubs at all. Who on earth is going to fork out about £1000 to go and watch "magic weekend" in New York.
Cost me a damn sight more to go the GF and the only sight I got to see was a car park in Trafford in the dark.

The logistics for NY don't work anyway. Let's say half the people who watch weekly SL wanted to go, who's going to put on flights for 30000 people, all going and coming back around the same time? Then returning empty to go over again empty again two or three days later, or parking their planes up for 3 days. Ridiculous idea, which if it did come from Mr. Rimmer, should rule him out of ever having any job involving the promotion or development of the game.

Mind you, we are talking about the same visionaries that scheduled Magic in a football mad city on cup final day whilst a royal wedding was going on. Then scheduled a full round of championship fixtures at the same time and wondered why the attendance was down.

Can you imagine the PR disaster if the Toon had got to the final and all the stewards wanted to go, a la Huddersfield Town last year?

Not to mention all the whinging that will occur when Leeds miss the play-offs by a point cos they had to play us. Or if we miss out on points difference to Hull when they got a gimme against HKR.

Maybe when Mr Elstone takes over at SLE we may get someone with a bit of common sense running the top end of the game, which could trickle down to the RFL. Or maybe not.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Last edited by Spanishtiger on 23 May 2018, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

WF10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WF10 » 23 May 2018, 15:15

Newcastle is great.

Alternatively I'd nominate Cardiff (millennium stadium) or Glasgow.
removed post it again and you will join them on a 48 hour ban read the AUP

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 23 May 2018, 18:33

WF10 wrote:Newcastle is great.

Alternatively I'd nominate Cardiff (millennium stadium) or Glasgow.
Done Cardiff. Tried RL in Wales and never kicked off. I would give Ireland a go.

Not Glasgow either. Worked there for 2 week. Not the most welcoming of places.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 24 May 2018, 15:08

Cardiff didn't market the occasion. Each time I was down there for Magic, I went Thursday to Monday, got around a bit and none of the locals knew anything about it. If one idea is to introduce the game to a wider audience, it has to be "sold". If it's a weekend away for usual supporters, it needs to be in this country in a location with plenty of facilities.

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nu Shooze » 24 May 2018, 17:39

Just seems to work so well at Newcastle, on all fronts. Really hope they keep it there.