Next Magic Weekend

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Next Magic Weekend

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 May 2018, 21:34

Worrying to read on the BBC site that places like New York are being actively looked at. Wonder if Ralph Rimmer will try something really innovative, like consulting his biggest stakeholders the fans?

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Next Magic Weekend

Post by HuddsTigers » 20 May 2018, 22:10

Suspect nothing will even be looked at until after July when new RFL CEO is appointed.

Also James Gordon, the journo at Love RL, made an interesting point earlier in that do the RFL even get a say with the Super League club’s sacking the RFL and appointing their own CEO?
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 21 May 2018, 07:44

Wonder if people will stay in there seats and watch the games in new york rarther than getting up 27 times in each half ...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 21 May 2018, 09:14

If the leaders at headquarters had to pay for there jaunts abroad they may not be as keen to take the games far and wide I have been fortunate to go on three tours down under always economy our beloved leaders all went first class, we the fans are not even thought of when they make decisions just ask the fans who on zero hours or minimum wage would they like to go to New York the answer would be yes then ask them if they will be going answer not a cat in hells chance

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 21 May 2018, 09:23

Considering that the RFL have failed to crack somewhere much closer to home for 20 years, holding it in London would be ambitious and expansive enough. Even Coventry might work but the stadium is probably too small.

The proximity to bars and reasonably priced food as well as hotels and transport links are also a key consideration.

There is a danger that the RFL tinker with something that works and ruin it....

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 21 May 2018, 11:14

Would be shocking for it to be moved to New York.newcastle is excellent easy to get to lots to do if you don’t fancy the game that’s currently on.people are friendly and helpful.would only leave Newcastle if they didn’t want us anymore

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stuey » 21 May 2018, 11:29

Typical stupid idea by the RL. Do they not consider the supporters of the clubs at all. Who on earth is going to fork out about £1000 to go and watch "magic weekend" in New York.

North Leeds Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by North Leeds Tiger » 21 May 2018, 12:14

Newcastle was great for me, Coventry wont work as its too far away from the town and other bars.
If It had to move - what about Glasgow ?, Ibrox, Hampden and Parkhead are all a couple of miles from the city centre any one of these will be big enough

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 21 May 2018, 13:54

North Leeds Tiger wrote:Newcastle was great for me, Coventry wont work as its too far away from the town and other bars.
If It had to move - what about Glasgow ?, Ibrox, Hampden and Parkhead are all a couple of miles from the city centre any one of these will be big enough
have you seen the pubs around there? seriously scary and most of them had the windows bricked up the last time I was up there.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

yorkie1bn
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by yorkie1bn » 21 May 2018, 14:57

The turnip heads and the lunatics have really taken over the asylum now all the rfl want is luxury trip out for a week at the fans expense.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 21 May 2018, 15:10

Manchester is the favourite for next year reading between the lines in rugby league weekly .which I don't like for the concept off magic weekend its not really a weekend away destination when most clubs are forty minutes away . definitely wont be in new York that's just stupid paper talk

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 21 May 2018, 15:14

they have the perfect city with the perfect stadium in Newcastle already.it would be stupid to move unless Newcastle didn't want it.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 21 May 2018, 15:17

With spectator numbers falling surely it makes sense to look at other options and give the fans a new adventure.

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 21 May 2018, 15:32

I'm up for NY. Weekend there..... Why not.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 21 May 2018, 15:43

InTheKnow wrote:I'm up for NY. Weekend there..... Why not.
dont think many would be prepared to pay the cost invloved specialy them who like to take all the familly no chance it be in ny .think they might try holding one off super league game first see the respond like in austraila this year

Casmania
Verified

Post by Casmania » 21 May 2018, 17:07

A bit of an over reaction in some quarters. Any potential options have to be considered.
It does help when negotiating hosting fees, sponsorship levels etc if there are more options on the table. However, in this instance I would suggest this option will be quickly disregarded.

MY CLUB. MY CAS

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 21 May 2018, 17:20

Perhaps the success of the Denver test will feed into the analysis?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

castigers2010
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by castigers2010 » 21 May 2018, 17:20

Casmania wrote:A bit of an over reaction in some quarters. Any potential options have to be considered.
It does help when negotiating hosting fees, sponsorship levels etc if there are more options on the table. However, in this instance I would suggest this option will be quickly disregarded.
Hopefully back in Newcastle, but wouldn't be against a trip to NY.

Casmania
Verified

Post by Casmania » 21 May 2018, 19:08

Same here, really enjoy Magic at Newcastle and would be my preferred option.
Unsure what the experience would be in say NY. I would certainly go, but would extend my stay by doing a 2/3 centre trip. Obviously playing abroad would have a significant impact on the number travelling. But, the Magic weekend is about taking the game on the road. Toronto are achieving some very good attendances with only a small away support. There are an increasing number of teams playing RL in North America, it should certainly give them and the game a boost. The Americans know how to market events, especially sporting occasions.
Good call by FC, the success/lack of success of the Denver test will be taken into consideration.

MY CLUB. MY CAS

c'mon

Post by c'mon » 21 May 2018, 21:00

Stood on the roof of the Strawberry, in my postage stamp of space, watching and listening to fans from every club, jibe, call, insult (in a nice way lol) each other.
Standing inside the same pub, listening to fans from many differing teams join in singing Sweet Caroline at the top of THEIR voices.
Talking to stewards who gave up their weekend off 'because its such good craic with the rugby crowd'

Its simple RFL -
Its not the rugby that makes it a great weekend, although we all love it.
It's not the stadium that makes it special. But where it is helps.
It's not taking the sport of Rugby League to a new audience that is the key.

Its having a venue in a city that creates atmosphere, where fans mingle outside the ground in many bars and eateries.

The weekend is MAGIC because the FANS make it MAGIC the RFL the teams and Superleague may own a fantastic weekend of rugby

But the fans OWN THE MAGIC

Challenge Cup has its home at Wembley
Grand Final has Old Trafford

We have been to a number of venues for Magic Weekend

Newcastle for me is where the MAGIC happens

I vote we keep Newcastle - it works - stop trying to fix what's not broken and concentrate on fixing what is.