Ben Roberts

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Ben Roberts

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Aug 2018, 09:17

Also hudds tiger I don't appreciate you accusing me of victimising someone cos I've given a honest opinion of how I think someone has performed over a period of time for us
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Aug 2018, 09:29

So are we going to analyse every player then on good/poor/bad games?

Because I see a thread criticising one player where we have people having a go at him for being injured, now having a go at his performances. This is singling out one player unfairly and who seems to cop a lot of fans’ frustration (and then some) because he’s had his injury problems.

I’ll say it again, I don’t think Benny goes out to get injured and is probably frustrated as we are that he can’t get out on the field. But right now he needs our support, not ridiculing or made to feel even crapper.

PS: I was talking about the whole thread, not one single post.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 12 Aug 2018, 09:36

HuddsTigers wrote:So are we going to analyse every player then on good/poor/bad games?

Because I see a thread criticising one player where we have people having a go at him for being injured, now having a go at his performances. This is singling out on player unfairly and seems to cop a lot of fans’ frustration because he’s had his injury problems.

I’ll say it again, I don’t think Benny goes out to get injured and is probably frustrated as we are that he can’t get out on the field. But right now he needs our support, not ridiculing or made to feel even crapper.
Maybe because this thread is about Ben Roberts hudds, so people are discussing
Tbf the only thing this season to discuss about Ben is his constant injuries.
I’d love to see him back this season, not sure that will happen.

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Post by the happy hooker9 » 12 Aug 2018, 09:47

Funny how 'fan's can turn on a player ...go on Red Vee Saints Forum and see how so called 'fans' have vented their frustration on megga
star Ben Barba

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Aug 2018, 09:58

old cas lass wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:So are we going to analyse every player then on good/poor/bad games?

Because I see a thread criticising one player where we have people having a go at him for being injured, now having a go at his performances. This is singling out on player unfairly and seems to cop a lot of fans’ frustration because he’s had his injury problems.

But my point is it isn’t consistent. I didn’t see a thread berating Eden despite him missing a third of games (he’s played in 39/59 games) across the past two seasons. He’s had a injury hit season for sure but I don’t think that’s his fault or something that can be helped. Some may call him the unluckiest guy at the moment. Look at someone like Gary Wheeler who is always crocked, I mean bloody hell look at Ben Currie at Warrington! I don’t see their fans saying to offload him?!

Clubber
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Clubber » 12 Aug 2018, 10:00

Because I see a thread criticising one player where we have people having a go at him for being injured, now having a go at his performances. This is singling out one player unfairly and who seems to cop a lot of fans’ frustration (and then some) because he’s had his injury problems.

PS: I was talking about the whole thread, not one single post.
Well said Hudds. I cannot stand some of the comments made towards those that are unfortunate enough to have injuries, something I may add is part and parcel of training for and playing in a very physical contact sport. It's easy to throw comments around like sick note and stealing a wage etc etc and it is nothing less than cyber bullying. I will accept people typing these comments if they have it in them to go up to these players and say it to their face. There is plenty of opportunity to do so over the course of a week in town or on match day.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 12 Aug 2018, 10:08

derbystiger wrote:The simple way of putting it is that he has appeared in 55% of games in all the time that he has been here (4 seasons). That is not value for money in anyone’s book. On his day he can turn a game and is a pleasure to watch but can any club afford to have, presumably, a high earning player sat doing nothing for 45% of the time? I’m not saying he is at fault for getting injured, nobody does it on purpose, but it is a business and would anyone here stay in their job if they only turned in until Wednesday afternoon every week? Probably not. The flip side about Roberts though is that he is the type of player that is good enough to come back into the squad with 3 games to go, produce a few moments of magic and take us to Old Trafford. Peoples concerns about him are justified though, in my opinion, as he’s off the field for roughly the same amount of time as he is on it.
That's the point :clap:

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 12 Aug 2018, 10:09

tigerfeat wrote:Of the 68 games id go
20 poor -very poor
20 average
20 good-very good
8 outstanding
Probably about right

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 12 Aug 2018, 10:17

HuddsTigers wrote:Are we really going this low to victimise one player again? Every one has bad games and good games.
Give over Hudds. He is not being victimised. You spend plenty of time talking business on here. The club is a business like any other. If my 'attendance' record was that bad, I would be criticised. If my performances were also erratic I'd expect it to be addressed by employers.
No one is saying he isn't good on his day or that he is not terribly unlucky with injuries. But the fact is he doesn't represent value for money.
Others like Holmes, Gale who have missed big chunks, I would argue have given value for money over their entire spell.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Aug 2018, 10:35

I’d argue when Roberts has been on the field he has offered us value. He’s a very good defensive half and probably the best we have at the club, he’s great in attack and when he has space. He has bad games, everyone does but we are a weaker side without him than with him.

If your attendance record was based on you playing a physical sport with high collision contact then I’d agree. The reality is that someone sitting in my office (a la me) isn’t having someone come whack them at 25-30mph while they are doing their job. I’d expect if I did, I’d probably be off with broken ribs etc etc for a while.

Mental health is becoming a bigger thing and there’s nothing worse than being alone during long spells on the sidelines for feeling awful/miserable. I’d expect any employer to do the same. If you broke your leg any reasonable employer wouldn’t fire you but support you.

The club is a business but it’s biggest assets are its players. If the fans continue slagging off players and making them feel unwelcome it could impact on our ability to attract players down the line. We are meant to be a family club and I’d say the vast majority do represent that. Players are human as much as any of us.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 12 Aug 2018, 10:43

Got to agree.
Over the decades l have seen some woeful performances.
Questionable officiating
Baffling coaching
But daft as a brush l keep turning up
Cheering on who ever pulls on our proud colours.
The negativity generated towards some players is amazing.
We have made so many poor signings over the years .
Look at all those Broncos failures we signed!
Watching Cas is an experience and l for one would not miss it for the world.
I don't know why great players sometimes don't perform,l am sure there are lots of reasons.
At the other end you get the Wainwrights of the world heart of a lion and l will leave it there.
I think some of the comments are as was pointed out cyber bullying and unworthy of rugby league fans.
Players know when they have under performed and know if they carry on in that vein a short career may become even shorter.
Ben has at time been great and at other times frustrating to watch,but l for one will let Mr Powell decide who plays where ,when and for how long he doesn't seem to bad at it.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Aug 2018, 10:49

If he's having problems other than being physically injured then everyone will hope he gets himself all the help he needs his wellbeing is more important than how many games he misses
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 12 Aug 2018, 14:52

HuddsTigers wrote:
old cas lass wrote:

But my point is it isn’t consistent. I didn’t see a thread berating Eden despite him missing a third of games (he’s played in 39/59 games) across the past two seasons. He’s had a injury hit season for sure but I don’t think that’s his fault or something that can be helped. Some may call him the unluckiest guy at the moment. Look at someone like Gary Wheeler who is always crocked, I mean bloody hell look at Ben Currie at Warrington! I don’t see their fans saying to offload him?!
To be fair Currie was a stand out at Warrington before his injuries...and is young enough to still have a long successful career.

As for Eden...did his shoulder going for broke diving in at the corner last season...nobody would knock a wing man for doing that!. This year?...well hamstring injuries have been a disease for the 1st team squad this year...maybe something for the top brass to investigate?.