2019 Squad

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

2019 Squad

Post by MØL » 25 May 2018, 17:28

First off, even though few have written this season off after last night. I'm still a believer that we'll finish in the top 4 and earn that play off spot. From that position anything can happen.

But due to questions about our recruitment for this year, constant rumours of full backs coming in and poor performances whats everyone's realistic squad for next season.

Jake Mamo
Luke Briscoe
Brayden Williame
Michael Shenton
Greg Eden
Declan Patton (was tempted by Tom Holmes)
Luke Gale
Liam Watts
Paul McShane
Craig Kopczak
Jesse Sene Lefao (in the position where he was so destructive)
Oliver Holmes
Alex Foster

Junior Moors
Grant Millington
Mike McMeeken
Jake Trueman

Other:
Calum Turner
Greg Minikin
Kieran Gill
Tuoyo Egodo
Joe Wardle
Jake Webster (final season)
Ben Roberts (final season)
Jacques O'Neill
Matt Cook
Gadwin Springer
Nathan Massey
Mitch Clark
Will Maher
Brandon Douglas
Callum Bustin

This is with the assumption that Adam Milner goes to the NRL, which i feel he will.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: 2019 Squad

Post by old cas lass » 25 May 2018, 17:33

Salford eying Holmes.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 25 May 2018, 18:36

Without wishing to upset you MØL, do you think we could recruit Mamo, Briscoe, Willame, Patten and Kopzac using the combined wages of Milner, Ellis, Hitchcox, Green, Aston, Lo and Clare ?

yorkie1bn
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by yorkie1bn » 25 May 2018, 18:49

old cas lass wrote:Salford eying Holmes.

Check this out you will find that is Tom Holmes From Fetherstone .

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 25 May 2018, 18:52

No upsetting Spanish, all is good. I know, I may have been a bit greedy. Although I believe it's doable. Milner will be on a fair chunk as will Ellis, albeit not as much. We've gotta still have a little bit of money left from Zak's wage as Watts won't be on as much as him. We aren't spending up to the cap at the moment and the cap also increases by 100k next year. Key players would be Mamo, Briscoe, Williame. Would be nice to bring in Patten next. Kopczak if we can afford it. If players like Roberts and Webster choose to retire there's extra money available from them too.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 25 May 2018, 19:25

yorkie1bn wrote:
old cas lass wrote:Salford eying Holmes.

Check this out you will find that is Tom Holmes From Fetherstone .
That’s who I meant.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 25 May 2018, 19:38

Fair enough MØL, that's a good squad in theory. Just wonder if Milner is actually on such a big wage this year as it's the last year of a deal he signed a good while ago when the club weren't so flush with the cash ...

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 25 May 2018, 20:08

Really do think he'll be on a fair pop. He only signed up again two years ago. Like you said in theory it's a good squad, in theory being the key word. In reality, we'll likely still see Gale, Trueman, Ellis and Roberts in the halves. No winger. Mamo and a centre and maybe a couple back up players.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 25 May 2018, 20:32

Fairly sure about Mamo, Oggy nearly let it slip on the debate the other night.
Think we're stuck with Ellis as he's 2 full years left after this one. May be a case for paying up Roberts and using the cap space to bring in someone else.
Can only see us signing another centre if Webster is not renewed.

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 25 May 2018, 20:49

Spanishtiger wrote:Fairly sure about Mamo, Oggy nearly let it slip on the debate the other night.
Think we're stuck with Ellis as he's 2 full years left after this one. May be a case for paying up Roberts and using the cap space to bring in someone else.
Yeah, Mamo seems a shoe in. No, messing about with contracts as with Mead. What squad would you go with Spanish?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 25 May 2018, 21:17

I’d be happy with the forwards. I think they are as good as any in SL. If Milner leaves, I think Foster is a ready-made replacement at 13.
Clearly we need a full-back. It would seem sensible to give Turner a go this year to see how he gets on. The likes of Tomkins and Walker came onto the scene in similar circumstances and I’d be tempted to see how Turner goes. If he goes well, he gets the gig. If not, we look elsewhere and develop Turner over the next couple of years.
Webster has been great for us but I don’t think we can go into next season expecting him to be playing regularly. Already this year he’s been stood up by quicker centres and left for dead. If Leigh don’t make SL, Mata’utia is an obvious choice of replacement if we can sign him.
I think our best halves are Gale and Trueman. If we can move Roberts on I’d like to see Tom Holmes back, but he’d be in the same position of playing back-up to our first choice halves and might be better moving to a club where he’ll be a regular starter. I think Dec Patton is leaving Warrington at the end of this year, so he could be an option for us too.

PSTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by PSTiger » 25 May 2018, 21:17

Spanishtiger wrote:Fairly sure about Mamo, Oggy nearly let it slip on the debate the other night.
What did Oggy say?

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 25 May 2018, 21:50

nottinghamtiger wrote:I’d be happy with the forwards. I think they are as good as any in SL. If Milner leaves, I think Foster is a ready-made replacement at 13.
Clearly we need a full-back. It would seem sensible to give Turner a go this year to see how he gets on. The likes of Tomkins and Walker came onto the scene in similar circumstances and I’d be tempted to see how Turner goes. If he goes well, he gets the gig. If not, we look elsewhere and develop Turner over the next couple of years.
Webster has been great for us but I don’t think we can go into next season expecting him to be playing regularly. Already this year he’s been stood up by quicker centres and left for dead. If Leigh don’t make SL, Mata’utia is an obvious choice of replacement if we can sign him.
I think our best halves are Gale and Trueman. If we can move Roberts on I’d like to see Tom Holmes back, but he’d be in the same position of playing back-up to our first choice halves and might be better moving to a club where he’ll be a regular starter. I think Dec Patton is leaving Warrington at the end of this year, so he could be an option for us too.
I agree Nottingham with pretty much everything you've wrote. With Foster, the sky is the limit. Future England international? 100% Turner needs playing this season and in my option should have already. With Powell, Orr and Sheridan reckon Patton would absolutely blossom. He'll take the pressure off of Gale. Has a great kicking game and not too shabby with the conversions either.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 25 May 2018, 22:13

Agree with you both more or less. But still reckon Mamo is coming.
For those that didn't see the debate, Mamo's name was mentioned, Oggy says " well there's a rumour that, no better not say owt, move on, move on".
Add this to the fact that he's off contract this year, and the fact that we've made no effort to sign anyone, making do with stop-gaps, makes me think that he's been approached a while since.

PSTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by PSTiger » 26 May 2018, 00:34

Spanishtiger wrote:Agree with you both more or less. But still reckon Mamo is coming.
For those that didn't see the debate, Mamo's name was mentioned, Oggy says " well there's a rumour that, no better not say owt, move on, move on".
Add this to the fact that he's off contract this year, and the fact that we've made no effort to sign anyone, making do with stop-gaps, makes me think that he's been approached a while since.
Thanks. I really think our coaching staff will make Mamo even better than he promised last season

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 29 May 2018, 10:05

Can't see Patton coming in especially when we have Truman and Ellis and Roberts.

Briscoe might be tempted if few don't make the middle 8s. Gonna be touch and go for them. Need to sort out jys future.

If Salford are still selling, would love kopczak for green. Would like like to see us sort out the futures of Springer, Clark, Maher and Douglas one way or anther.

Not been overly impressed by williame but look forward to seeing him live at the Catalan away match!

Mamo yes but he needs a full off-season with the coaches too sort out his defence and to fit our attack. So no trip back to oz.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 29 May 2018, 12:10

mart0042 wrote:Can't see Patton coming in especially when we have Truman and Ellis and Roberts.

Briscoe might be tempted if few don't make the middle 8s. Gonna be touch and go for them. Need to sort out jys future.

If Salford are still selling, would love kopczak for green. Would like like to see us sort out the futures of Springer, Clark, Maher and Douglas one way or anther.

Not been overly impressed by williame but look forward to seeing him live at the Catalan away match!

Mamo yes but he needs a full off-season with the coaches too sort out his defence and to fit our attack. So no trip back to oz.
Patton supposed to be Wigan bound
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 29 May 2018, 13:03

Can't see Patton coming myself either. Would like him to though, def prefer him over Ellis and Roberts. If not Patton, i'd take Tom Holmes over them two too. Just seems we always rely on one half, Gale.

Anglo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Anglo » 30 May 2018, 11:44

mart0042 wrote: Briscoe might be tempted if few don't make the middle 8s. Gonna be touch and go for them. Need to sort out jys future.
It will cost you...Toronto supposedly offering "silly money". I love Briscoe, but he might cost more than some of your higher earners and I'd question whether he's worth that.

Bolton-tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bolton-tiger » 30 May 2018, 21:02

Toronto throw silly money at everyone thats why they get who ever they want from where ever they want even if they pay over the odds for a player.briscoe has had a good season in the championship but is he worth the money fev is wanting for him