Will Maher

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Will Maher

Post by cogito ergo sum » 23 Jun 2018, 20:38

The jury still out on Will, and the main reason is about minutes on the pitch. To be one of those short stint props such as Fifita, Masoe etc, he has to have a massive impact whilst he's on. If he's not one of those, he has to do 40-50 mins in two stints, and for me he still falls somewhere between.

I hope he makes it, otherwise he's spent a long time at Cas for not very much.

Leeds tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Leeds tiger » 23 Jun 2018, 22:19

If he has the skill or not isn't the point really, to say he doesn't have the courage is pretty poor. He's playing against some big more developed, stronger, nastier people especially in that Wigan team who are pretty thuggish at the best of times. I saw nothing but a young lad doing his best, and doing a pretty good job at that. If he's only good for 20 minutes a game right now so be it. It's better than nothing with the situation we are in. Not everyone in the team can be superstars in a salary capped sport. We need people like maher, Clark etc who can come in and do the bit when they're needed, even last year we had some lesser players like larroyer who stepped in and helped, not world beaters but just do what they can for the team.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 23 Jun 2018, 22:27

People bashing the amount of minutes he played - I don’t see the same for Green, who only came on in the 2nd half for about the same amount of time too.

When your forwards are on top and doing the business, there’s no need to rotate too much. Massey, Cook, Springer and Clark were doing a great job and I’m pretty sure both Millo and Moors played 80 mins too or close enough.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 23 Jun 2018, 22:34

Agree wholeheartedly with both comments above. Glad there's other people supporting the big lad's career instead of ripping into him any chance they get. As soon as I saw his name on the starting team sheet would've put big money on someone slamming him afterwards.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 24 Jun 2018, 06:07

How many minutes does Maher usually get when playing for Halifax?
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 24 Jun 2018, 09:39

jackknife wrote:How many minutes does Maher usually get when playing for Halifax?
Vs. Leigh - 47mins‎‎

BCT
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Wheldon Road End - The side bit next to the main stand

Post by BCT » 24 Jun 2018, 10:21

I didn't start this thread to bash Maher. Nor bash the amount of minutes he played. That's upto Powell to decide. It just baffled me as to why he didn't get back on. It's similar to times when Gadwin has been picked previously and only gets short minutes or just becomes an unused sub. I'd love nothing more than Will to make it. He's still young and has another year? or so on his contract, I'd of just liked to have seen him given more game time. I think for those who say he isn't progressing look at Massey. People said he wasn't good enough as he was out at Fev, York etc and now he's an established prop in our side. I just hope when Maher gets picked he does get more minutes for us.
Cas Until I Die

classysupercas3
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classysupercas3 » 24 Jun 2018, 11:51

I have never been a lover of Maher,in all these years not seen much potential,however I am seeing a more faster Maher and he his a big lad and young so I would persevere with him I think he may come good soon. Good squad player now I think and not on alot of cash which is good for the club

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 24 Jun 2018, 19:50

classysupercas3 wrote:I have never been a lover of Maher,in all these years not seen much potential,however I am seeing a more faster Maher and he his a big lad and young so I would persevere with him I think he may come good soon. Good squad player now I think and not on alot of cash which is good for the club
Reckon Big Will is a DP project and in the not too distant future, he will start to pay dividends, as it's a well known fact that props don't develop until much later than those in other positions!
Danny Boy

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 25 Jun 2018, 10:15

At 22 you can see his body has changed from when he joined us. He was a massive man, seems to have reshaped, maybe to accommodate another position long term.

steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 25 Jun 2018, 22:04

I’ve said it since day one; he doesn’t have the leg speed to make it in SL & I’ve seen nothing in the years after that to convince me otherwise. It’s a thanks, but no thanks from me.
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 26 Jun 2018, 00:04

MØL wrote:
Andrew6666 wrote:When does this potential get realised?

I'm not a fan of Will at all as I don't think he has any aggression at all. But I'm not picking the side. I think with Wills size he should be tearing it up, he isn't.

I wish people would also stop saying he is still young. The guy has been playing rugby for years - he needs to step up!!! We cannot afford to be carrying deadwood due to sentiment - top teams are ruthless.
Jesus, seems like you've a real issue with Maher. He's far from deadwood. He's a squad player at the moment that Powell sees as a development project. Personally i thought he had a good stint yesterday and for me went better then Green. A great gritty arm wrestle of a win last night and you come on moaning about a player and not seeing the full potential of a young 22 year old prop. FFS. ](*,)

You say 'Top teams are ruthless' also top teams nurture and develop players.
He goes to ground far to easily for a big lad. Just doesn't seem to have any aggression to bust a tackle or stay on his feet and drive when tackled.
22 years old and manages 20 minutes, it isn't a great return.
I want Maher to succeed at Cas, my opinion on the player is, he isn't showing anything that makes me think he will be anything other than an average Championship player.
My opinion (which you take issue with because it doesn't match your own) so we will have to see.
Great win against Wigan - which I didn't moan about if you could read. I stated an opinion on one player not the team performance. But hey ho, enjoy your evening Mrs Maher.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 26 Jun 2018, 09:39

steadygetyerboots-on wrote:I’ve said it since day one; he doesn’t have the leg speed to make it in SL & I’ve seen nothing in the years after that to convince me otherwise. It’s a thanks, but no thanks from me.
As harsh as that sounds iv gota agree with this
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 26 Jun 2018, 10:39

Andrew6666 wrote:
MØL wrote:

I'm not a fan of Will at all as I don't think he has any aggression at all. But I'm not picking the side. I think with Wills size he should be tearing it up, he isn't.

I wish people would also stop saying he is still young. The guy has been playing rugby for years - he needs to step up!!! We cannot afford to be carrying deadwood due to sentiment - top teams are ruthless.
Jesus, seems like you've a real issue with Maher. He's far from deadwood. He's a squad player at the moment that Powell sees as a development project. Personally i thought he had a good stint yesterday and for me went better then Green. A great gritty arm wrestle of a win last night and you come on moaning about a player and not seeing the full potential of a young 22 year old prop. FFS. ](*,)

He goes to ground far to easily for a big lad. Just doesn't seem to have any aggression to bust a tackle or stay on his feet and drive when tackled.
I want Maher to succeed at Cas, my opinion on the player is, he isn't showing anything that makes me think he will be anything other than an average Championship player.
My opinion (which you take issue with because it doesn't match your own) so we will have to see.
Great win against Wigan - which I didn't moan about if you could read. I stated an opinion on one player not the team performance. But hey ho, enjoy your evening Mrs Maher.
He only 'managed' 20mins because Powell took him off. Green is 27 and he only 'managed' a similar period of time in the second half knocking on 2/3 times during but you seem to just be intend on bashing Maher solely. You didn't moan about the win but proceeded to slam a player that did nothing wrong in the game (and actually put in a good stint from the kick off) the very next day. I don't take issue with your opinion but with how you portray it, calling a young Cas player 'deadwood'. I'd continue this debate but I'll think twice about responding to you in the future as towards the end of your last comment you started to show your maturity with high school insults suggesting that 'I can't read' and referring to me as 'Mrs Maher'.

westyorkylad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westyorkylad » 26 Jun 2018, 12:16

MØL wrote:
Andrew6666 wrote:
MØL wrote:

He only 'managed' 20mins because Powell took him off. Green is 27 and he only 'managed' a similar period of time in the second half knocking on 2/3 times during but you seem to just be intend on bashing Maher solely. You didn't moan about the win but proceeded to slam a player that did nothing wrong in the game (and actually put in a good stint from the kick off) the very next day. I don't take issue with your opinion but with how you portray it, calling a young Cas player 'deadwood'. I'd continue this debate but I'll think twice about responding to you in the future as towards the end of your last comment you started to show your maturity with high school insults suggesting that 'I can't read' and referring to me as 'Mrs Maher'.
All the guy is telling you is he doesn't rate him, you do rate him, get over it.

For what its worth I tend to Agree with the OP, don't rate Maher, not seen much improvement in him over the last few years, and personally I thought the first 20 mins he was on he was ineffective, makes poor contact with and without the ball and doesn't have a particularly high work rate.

Your argument for Green doesn't wash because he was equally ineffective.

Clark on the other hand impresses with his contact with and without the ball and his high workrate.

I have seen more to impress me with Clark in 1 x pre season friendly and 2 x spells of the bench that anything I have seen from Maher or Green.

Nothing against either of them hope all works out for them but I personally don't think either of them are good enough.

Theyre not the first Cas players I haven't rated and they wont be the last, Knuckles anyone............... :D

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 26 Jun 2018, 12:22

i bet Massey is pleased he is being left alone, now we have two more to pull down, if any of them improves like Massey as they will do for me

westyorkylad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westyorkylad » 26 Jun 2018, 12:32

gateman wrote:i bet Massey is pleased he is being left alone, now we have two more to pull down, if any of them improves like Massey as they will do for me
Massey impressed from the second season for me Gateman, always finds his front gets good play the balls and has a good work rate.

I make my own mind up from what I see on the field. You need all kinds of players to make a side.

We've all got opinions on different players, doesn't mean we don't want them to do well.

As it happens I think Grant Millington is the best forward I have seen in a Cas shirt since Lee Crooks, but the first season he was here I wondered why the hell we had signed him, so players can grow into the team that's for sure. ;)

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 26 Jun 2018, 12:33

westyorkylad wrote:
MØL wrote:
Andrew6666 wrote:
MØL wrote:

All the guy is telling you is he doesn't rate him, you do rate him, get over it.

For what its worth I tend to Agree with the OP, don't rate Maher, not seen much improvement in him over the last few years, and personally I thought the first 20 mins he was on he was ineffective, makes poor contact with and without the ball and doesn't have a particularly high work rate.

Your argument for Green doesn't wash because he was equally ineffective.

Clark on the other hand impresses with his contact with and without the ball and his high workrate.

I have seen more to impress me with Clark in 1 x pre season friendly and 2 x spells of the bench that anything I have seen from Maher or Green.

Nothing against either of them hope all works out for them but I personally don't think either of them are good enough.

Theyre not the first Cas players I haven't rated and they wont be the last, Knuckles anyone............... :D
'get over it' thought this was a place for debates and a chance to exchange opposing views. I'm not saying he's the best player ever or even that he will make a starting super league prop just giving my opinion that he can improve and doesn't deserve to be called 'deadwood' and 'no courage' (by other posters).
My argument by mentioning Green was because the OP stated that at 22 years old, 20mins for Maher is not a good return, even though DP subbed him.

Anywho. Regarding Clark I agree, he's been very patient in playing for Featherstone and waiting for his opportunity and when it's come he's been very pleasing to watch. Def in front of Maher and Green in terms of the squad selection. Actually maybe even Springer too.

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 26 Jun 2018, 13:08

MØL wrote:
Andrew6666 wrote:
MØL wrote:

You didn't read my original post correctly and stated I'd moaned about the performance - you were wrong. I stated an opinion of a player you are very defensive of.
You tried to alter my opinion on a player who I do not think is SL level.
You have now gone defensive due to the fact I proved your first reaction to my original post was wrong.
Continue to answer the posts that you perceive instead of the post that is actually made.
I hope that you didn't take the banter as an insult as that would be very childish and 'precious'. Please don't take my post as condescending (that means talk down to people) as they are just my opinions. I do apologise that my opinion on a specific player does not match your own. Also remember, you felt the need to respond to my post, and are now taking your ball home because we disagree. I still stick to my original assessment of Maher, he has done nothing to prove he is worthy of SL player status, therefore in a SL squad he would be deemed 'deadwood'.

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 26 Jun 2018, 14:25

Andrew6666 wrote:
MØL wrote:
Andrew6666 wrote:
MØL wrote:

You didn't read my original post correctly and stated I'd moaned about the performance - you were wrong. I stated an opinion of a player you are very defensive of.
You tried to alter my opinion on a player who I do not think is SL level.
You have now gone defensive due to the fact I proved your first reaction to my original post was wrong.
Continue to answer the posts that you perceive instead of the post that is actually made.
I hope that you didn't take the banter as an insult as that would be very childish and 'precious'. Please don't take my post as condescending (that means talk down to people) as they are just my opinions. I do apologise that my opinion on a specific player does not match your own. Also remember, you felt the need to respond to my post, and are now taking your ball home because we disagree. I still stick to my original assessment of Maher, he has done nothing to prove he is worthy of SL player status, therefore in a SL squad he would be deemed 'deadwood'.
God damn, you come across as one hell of a d0uchebag. Trying to explain the word condescending to me. Lol. Congratulations you've used a big word. :clap: Anyway. Thanks for the apology. :D