Project Debut

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Project Debut

Post by Mysterio » 26 Jun 2018, 14:36

Someone posted earlier that they wondered what the hell we’d signed when we saw millo on debut.

Would be fantastic to have a debuts section on TTV or if anyone can point us towarsds clips on YouTube. If possible. If not debuts, then very shortly after signing.

I’d love to see how vowles went on his debut, Davis, steadman, millo, McShane...etc..and see how much they have I,proved....Milner too..
Audacter Et Sincere

corvusxiii
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Project Debut

Post by corvusxiii » 26 Jun 2018, 15:05

I remember reading that Offiah didnt score in his first three games. I imagine that there were a heap of 'foot in mouth' moments around that time.
To finish last in the Tour de France, first you must finish.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 26 Jun 2018, 15:36

Mysterio wrote:Someone posted earlier that they wondered what the hell we’d signed when we saw millo on debut.

Would be fantastic to have a debuts section on TTV or if anyone can point us towarsds clips on YouTube. If possible. If not debuts, then very shortly after signing.

I’d love to see how vowles went on his debut, Davis, steadman, millo, McShane...etc..and see how much they have I,proved....Milner too..
If I remember correctly Grant came to us injured (no surprise there) and I happened to be on a flight to Girona around the same time together with the Catalans team.
Fotuitively I was sat on the plane next to Trent Robinson and I took the opportunity to ask him about Millo.
He said that Grant was a only a workmanlike forward and we’d be lucky to get a full season out of him due to him being injury prone.
Just shows how wrong he was because IMO Grant has been one of the best Aus signing Cas has ever made.
He did however say that Daryl Clarke (with the right coaching) was destined to be a super star.

StevieTheTV
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by StevieTheTV » 26 Jun 2018, 15:47

orrsome wrote:
Mysterio wrote:Someone posted earlier that they wondered what the hell we’d signed when we saw millo on debut.

If I remember correctly Grant came to us injured (no surprise there) and I happened to be on a flight to Girona around the same time together with the Catalans team.
Fotuitively I was sat on the plane next to Trent Robinson and I took the opportunity to ask him about Millo.
He said that Grant was a only a workmanlike forward and we’d be lucky to get a full season out of him due to him being injury prone.
Just shows how wrong he was because IMO Grant has been one of the best Aus signing Cas has ever made.
He did however say that Daryl Clarke (with the right coaching) was destined to be a super star.

Im fairly certain Millo had just had a shoulder reconstruction when we signed him and the RL media were saying wed signed a crock! IMHO i think hes been the best overseas signing Ive seen in a Cas shirt and even though hes an Aussie, to me he is the epitome of what being a Cas player should be!
Tigers for Life! Not just for SuperLeague!!

Tawera Nikau = Legend

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 26 Jun 2018, 16:20

I wasn't impressed with Rangi's debut.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 26 Jun 2018, 16:51

vowles started at stand off and wasn't doing too well. it was only when he switched to loose that he became a star and MOS
jo brand is eddie warings love child

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 26 Jun 2018, 17:15

I remember thinking what we done here when i saw graham bradley play his first match when he left he was playing very well continued to do the same in nrl then at bradford bulls
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 26 Jun 2018, 18:46

tigerfeat wrote:I remember thinking what we done here when i saw graham bradley play his first match when he left he was playing very well continued to do the same in nrl then at bradford bulls
The penguin was ok with us but really got his game together at Bradford.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 26 Jun 2018, 19:31

The penguin improved vastly when he was moved from centre to SR.

Aid
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Aid » 26 Jun 2018, 19:52

orrsome wrote:

Millo made his debut in round five, (home defeat to Leeds) He then went on to miss just one more game that season.
cum on you Ford

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 26 Jun 2018, 20:25

There’s some clips of Millo’s debut (or rather that Leeds defeat) on that video sharing page. Just search Castleford Leeds 2012.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Towns88
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Towns88 » 26 Jun 2018, 22:11

Millo actually played ok on debut. It was just the rest of the season where the entire side sucked under the worst coach we've ever had. It didn't take Powell too long to unlock Millo's ability.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 27 Jun 2018, 11:46

Bradley was excellent for us when moved into the 2nd 2. Rubbish in the centre which is where we signed him for!

Vowlsey truly was dire from memory at the start. Trying too hard and not suited to uk half back role or what we’d be used to.

Didn’t Steadman get his jaw broke near the start?

And crooks an 8 MATCH ban? Did anyone see either incident

Going back to the original point, I’d love to see a debut section.

And yes, Rangi was also busy but poor too. He was hooker if I remember, coming off the bench. Around the time Sione Faumuina was our 6 (never a six)
Audacter Et Sincere

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 27 Jun 2018, 12:08

I suppose the message is that some players need time. I remember Barry Johnson being around the A team for a while, largely anonymous, and then burst through at the start of one season but I can't recall which season. Turned out brilliant until a certain Fev taxi driver broke his jaw.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 27 Jun 2018, 12:11

cogito ergo sum wrote:I suppose the message is that some players need time. I remember Barry Johnson being around the A team for a while, largely anonymous, and then burst through at the start of one season but I can't recall which season. Turned out brilliant until a certain Fev taxi driver broke his jaw.
Would you mind telling the story please, or pm me it? Interested in rl folklore :)
Audacter Et Sincere

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 27 Jun 2018, 12:12

Ps. Always thought BJ was a big head who rated himself far higher than his ability actually was. Am I wrong?
Audacter Et Sincere

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 27 Jun 2018, 12:35

I'm not sure about his own view of himself, but he was one of the best ball handling props around. Fans from the 80's and fellow players certainly rated him highly. He was a target in those days, and a Featherstone player TS broke his jaw in what most viewed as a deliberate act. He was never quite the same again, and had it broken a second time.

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 27 Jun 2018, 13:19

It was absolutely deliberate - he nutted him on the floor after tackling him and stopping him getting up for a quick ptb.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 27 Jun 2018, 15:54

The Fox wrote:It was absolutely deliberate - he nutted him on the floor after tackling him and stopping him getting up for a quick ptb.
I know, I was attempting to be even-handed. The Featherstone player in question had quite a reputation for foul play.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 27 Jun 2018, 16:06

Just been researching the tackle in question. There is an interesting thread about it on RL fans in 2012 entitled "Worst Tackle Ever"