super league V the rest

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

super league V the rest

Post by gateman » 27 Jun 2018, 12:34

i am uncomfortable about Super League seeming to want to run their own afairs which to me is them wanting a bigger slice of the cake or even the whole cake

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: super league V the rest

Post by HuddsTigers » 27 Jun 2018, 13:05

I think the biggest problem is the structure - resolve that and many of the other problems aren't so much of an issue.

The Championship needs to manage its own affairs. They've been lumbered in with the SL deal but essentially it's free money for very little coverage, which isn't fair on SL clubs or Championship clubs in terms of raising their profile.

I think to separate the TV rights for the two is fair, though, that being said, I think there still needs to be some sort of bridging payment between SL and the Championship, much like the parachute payment in football. The only problem is that the Championship clubs may not get a TV deal comparable to the generous funding they're getting from SL at the moment.

Derek Beaumont on Backchat last week was very interesting and seemed to talk a lot of common sense.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 27 Jun 2018, 14:13

They had a separate tv deal and got conned out of it by Sky Sports. It was genuinely a good product on premier sports then sky bought it on the cheap with superleague literally so premier couldn’t have it.

This could be the end of high level local professional Rugby League in Britain this nonsense from the Wigan/Saints/Warrington schysters. They don’t want little towns like ours involved in their plans, they want European jaunts and transatlantic flights. Instead of rightfully putting the sport first and injecting money in to grass roots local development they want to make up teams in places with little knowledge or interest in the game.

On the pitch the product/planning this season is at best shonky, who the hell put Wigan v Leeds on the same time as a World Cup match that involved England. A fixture that has been known a long time in advance.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 27 Jun 2018, 16:56

if the lower league clubs go out of business because they have been starved of funds the local amateur clubs will suffer with less people wanting to play the game, if you don't look after the weak it will have an adverse affect on the rest , i always thought we were a family game the strong looking after the weak