Big game mentality...

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Big game mentality...

Post by Nu Shooze » 23 Jul 2018, 12:31

terminaldecline wrote:is huddersfield at home, 22 matches into a 30 game season, now considered a 'Big Game'?
(especially in a season where you can throw a hat over 2nd, 3rd and 4th and there's a massive gap to 5th)

If that's a 'big game' then every game is... but to me this was only really a big game for an in form Hudds team (to escape the bottom 4)

I know we could have moved up to 2nd - but at this stage it doesn't really matter, we're assured of 4 home and 3 away in the super 8s, so I just think some perspective on what constitutes a big game

this is not taking away from the larger points you make - and we were terrible on Friday, but that to me was just an off week against a team that was up for it
This.

I saw several posts over the weekend, from fans of other teams, saying how we’d bottled another big game. What ‘big’ game was that exactly? Seems our big games are now determined by fans from other clubs, probably after we’ve lost, so they can rattle on about us losing another. :roll:

Friday’s game was no bigger than Salford the week before or Widnes this Sunday.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 23 Jul 2018, 12:33

The question of 'big game mentality' is an interesting one when it comes to teams coached by Daryl Powell. I am regularly reminded by my Capper neighbors that is was a theme running through the Fev team whilst DP was in charge there.

Now I didn't regard Fridays game as a big game par sae but it was one we should have been looking to complete the game plan to the letter and carry some momentum in to the Super 8's.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 23 Jul 2018, 12:45

Nu Shooze wrote:
terminaldecline wrote:is huddersfield at home, 22 matches into a 30 game season, now considered a 'Big Game'?
(especially in a season where you can throw a hat over 2nd, 3rd and 4th and there's a massive gap to 5th)

If that's a 'big game' then every game is... but to me this was only really a big game for an in form Hudds team (to escape the bottom 4)

I know we could have moved up to 2nd - but at this stage it doesn't really matter, we're assured of 4 home and 3 away in the super 8s, so I just think some perspective on what constitutes a big game

this is not taking away from the larger points you make - and we were terrible on Friday, but that to me was just an off week against a team that was up for it
This.

I saw several posts over the weekend, from fans of other teams, saying how we’d bottled another big game. What ‘big’ game was that exactly? Seems our big games are now determined by fans from other clubs, probably after we’ve lost, so they can rattle on about us losing another. :roll:

Friday’s game was no bigger than Salford the week before or Widnes this Sunday.
Certainly puts more pressure on winning at Widnes now though, that's going to be seen as our easiest game of the 8 left.

Nobody is going to want to finish 4th and face Saints away. So you could say they are all big games in trying to grab the 2nd spot.