Ellis bashing

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
jackknife
Verified

Ellis bashing

Post by jackknife » 24 Jul 2018, 07:32

I think all this ellis bashing is unfair yes hes not a top 4 teams 1st choice half back but thats not what we bought him for, he was signed for back up to gale an roberts also as back up goal kicker (which hes done well imo) its just unfortunate that hes had to play most of the games. Had we not had ellis then McShane would of been moved away from what he does best.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

StevieTheTV
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Ellis bashing

Post by StevieTheTV » 24 Jul 2018, 07:39

We signed him to battle with Trueman as a starting 6, Roberts was meant to be Full Back this season.

That being said, hes had some decent games this year but Friday was a shocker, couldnt find touch from penalties, awful attacking decisions, running the ball when he should of passed, passing the ball when he should of run etc.

He was one of a few blokes on Friday who were nowhere near their best, hopefully they can rectify it this Sunday.
Tigers for Life! Not just for SuperLeague!!

Tawera Nikau = Legend

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 24 Jul 2018, 07:44

The question is kind of answered itself when you sign a bloke on a three year deal then say it's unfortunate he's had to play so many games
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 24 Jul 2018, 07:48

Had ellis been playing along side gale or roberts all this time i think things would of been a lit different
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 24 Jul 2018, 07:53

He's had some good games he had a shocker Friday he's being like that everywhere he's played including when he was with us before
Vince Lombardi

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 24 Jul 2018, 08:00

Ellis as been singled out a few times this year as the scapegoat some justifiable , last year it was Nathan Massey the fans always find one to be the cause of our troubles, apart from MC Shane last week a number of our players were on par with Jamie

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 24 Jul 2018, 08:02

The sad thing to me is if we had kept Tom Holmes I think he would have really flourished with us this season with a chance to play every week
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 24 Jul 2018, 08:04

The tactics were all wrong on Friday. It seems like we *have* to go to our most senior half EVERY time. When Gale plays we always go left. On Friday we always went right. More often than not the kicks were dross and at that point we should have taken pressure off Ellis and gone left more instead.

What I like about Ellis is that he takes on the line and has a pop himself. Again this was perhaps overused on Friday and became predictable.

If we are to play better this weekend then Macca needs to go both ways and Trueman needs to demand more ball and own it.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Jonny1975
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jonny1975 » 24 Jul 2018, 09:59

Ellis is a terrible signing, and whoever offered up the 3 yr deal needs to have a good look in the mirror. Has never been a SL player, Huddersfield even played centres at 6 n sent him on loan to a team in a lower league, then we come along daggling a 3yr deal, really poor judgement. He'll have one decent game in maybe 8, but doesn't have ability to consistently turn in good performances at SL level.

Aston got MOM for Sheffield again on Sunday, he surely has to be a better option. What message does it send Aston, regular 6 injured, his understudy consistently turning out poor performances, yet he keeps getting farmed out on dual reg n keeps getting MOM awards in a poor Sheffield team. Time to give him his chance.

I'm not Ellis bashing, I've just got eyes in my head, and these eyes are fed up with his sub standard performances, time for a spell in the stands.

lidds
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by lidds » 24 Jul 2018, 10:05

If he was only brought in as a backup then why was he given the number 6 shirt?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 24 Jul 2018, 10:10

thats the point he wasnt brought in as back up hence a three year deal ..roberts at one which was a daft a idea as powells ever had ellis six gale seven ,trueman to push for a place
Vince Lombardi

lidds
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by lidds » 24 Jul 2018, 10:22

tigerfeat wrote:thats the point he wasnt brought in as back up hence a three year deal ..roberts at one which was a daft a idea as powells ever had ellis six gale seven ,trueman to push for a place
Exactly, should have been a 1 year deal max till we got a FB sorted and then have last year's 6/7 back together with trueman pushing for a place.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 24 Jul 2018, 10:23

tigerfeat wrote:thats the point he wasnt brought in as back up hence a three year deal ..roberts at one which was a daft a idea as powells ever had ellis six gale seven ,trueman to push for a place
Correct and its backfired big time.

Now we need a real FB, Center, 6 and a winger if you ask me.

Or will we go cheap and use Aston, Ellis as backup to Gale and Trueman/Roberts
Gill and Clare as backup to Eden and Minikin.

If we do its essential we bring in a proper FB and Center. Webester cant do another full season(sorry but its true)

Over to you Mr Wells

sparky49
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sparky49 » 24 Jul 2018, 10:58

Aston got MOM for Sheffield again on Sunday, he surely has to be a better option. What message does it send Aston, regular 6 injured, his understudy consistently turning out poor performances, yet he keeps getting farmed out on dual reg n keeps getting MOM awards in a poor Sheffield team. Time to give him his chance.

It's easy to keep getting man of the match in a poor team if you are just above average, don't forget that is just for your own team not the match as a whole. We had a man of the match at Catalans and at home to Huddersfield and let's be honest they didn't take much picking out.

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 24 Jul 2018, 11:02

tigerfeat wrote:The sad thing to me is if we had kept Tom Holmes I think he would have really flourished with us this season with a chance to play every week
+1

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 24 Jul 2018, 11:05

jackknife wrote:Had ellis been playing along side gale or roberts all this time i think things would of been a lit different
Gale being in the team makes Ellis not a liability in defence does it? He's that bad he makes the defenders either side of him worse.

Not to mention his kick in play are fire and his attacking vision is basically not there at all

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 24 Jul 2018, 11:07

tigerfeat wrote:The sad thing to me is if we had kept Tom Holmes I think he would have really flourished with us this season with a chance to play every week
But he asked to leave and we couldn't offer him guaranteed starts so he made the choice.

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 24 Jul 2018, 11:11

jackknife wrote:Had ellis been playing along side gale or roberts all this time i think things would of been a lit different
My issue is that we can't rely on Gale every single season in every single match we need/needed a class player at 6 to take some of that pressure off of Luke and who can then run the game when he's missing.

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 24 Jul 2018, 11:13

RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:
But he asked to leave and we couldn't offer him guaranteed starts so he made the choice.
That is true but would imagine if we'd upped his wage he might of stayed. Ellis will be on a load more than Holmes would of been.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 24 Jul 2018, 11:13

RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:
i carnt remember the time scale of things if he knew we were signing ellis i would have asked to leave also if id been him
Vince Lombardi