Physicality

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Physicality

Post by SuffolkTiger » 08 Sep 2018, 21:34

This could be our undoing at the business end..

Catalans blasted Saints off the park in the cup semi and showed how to beat them. Saints learnt from that, however, and fought fire with fire in France earlier today. Their young lads were very impressive in the way they stood up to a very physical Catalans pack.

In your face intimidatory defence looks like the key to this years GF win

Wigan are renowned for a belligerent approach up the middle with and without the ball.

We didn't look up for that last night vs Hull. Huddersfield will be a good test of this on Thursday as they are lumpy up front.

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Physicality

Post by daytona » 08 Sep 2018, 21:55

I wouldn’t read much into our next three games. People will but they mean absolutely jack. We have one game, hopefully two that we need to get right but they are a few weeks off yet. I predict when we play Wigan or Saints away in the semi you will see a physicality and an intensity that we haven’t witnessed yet this year.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 08 Sep 2018, 22:22

daytona wrote:I wouldn’t read much into our next three games. People will but they mean absolutely jack. We have one game, hopefully two that we need to get right but they are a few weeks off yet. I predict when we play Wigan or Saints away in the semi you will see a physicality and an intensity that we haven’t witnessed yet this year.
Let’s hope so Daytona, both saints and Catalan forwards ran into each other like they didn’t care about there own welfare. It was like watching 2 trains collide .
Our forwards tend to go down at first contact, apart from moors/watts who keeps there legs pumping. We have to become more hardened, because the semi final will be no holds barred from the Wigan team.
Saying that I’m relishing going to Wigan and put them to bed.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 08 Sep 2018, 22:45

My issue is that whenever we seem to do it with good line speed, the refs seem to ping us more for offside while other sides get away with it left, right and centre.

Lost count of the number of times Warrington were a foot off their line at our place. We need a fair rub of the green in both the ruck and in line speed.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Sep 2018, 07:19

I don't subscribe to the view that you can suddenly change the way you play in a one off match at least not to any great affect
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Morrissey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Morrissey » 09 Sep 2018, 08:09

We do have experience of winning a semi final - watch back the game against Saints and there is an intensity not seen anywhere in the season previously - particularly not seen the week before against Hull when we rested players. Most semis and GF games are refereed slightly differently with less penalties generally - if you recall Brian McDermott used to criticise this when he said the rulebook basically changes and games in February that have 20 penalties turn into games come September with 5 or 6.

I have faith the players know what they have to do - it's a one off game at either Saints or Wigan - it doesn't get much tougher. If they don't understand that I'd be stunned. Anything can happen in play-off rugby.

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 09 Sep 2018, 09:24

tigerfeat wrote:I don't subscribe to the view that you can suddenly change the way you play in a one off match at least not to any great affect
Leeds have been the masters of it over recent years. They finished second in league last year looking decidedly average for most of it then turned it on to another level for two games. You can argue about our problems leading up to grand final but there is no denying that on the day they were far better than us and deserved the win.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Sep 2018, 09:30

I find a reason to tip cas to win every week and given we have played most of the season without gale and Eden and without a recognised full back we've done very well indeed
I just think there's something missing from the sides DNA and I accept Friday's game in the scheme of things didn't matter but we could have been ruthless in the last half a hour and put a big score on them instead we never scored a point
If we go to Wigan child refing wanes last game and so on and turn them over I will be delighted to be proved wrong
Vince Lombardi

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Sep 2018, 09:33

daytona wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:I don't subscribe to the view that you can suddenly change the way you play in a one off match at least not to any great affect
Leeds have been the masters of it over recent years. They finished second in league last year looking decidedly average for most of it then turned it on to another level for two games. You can argue about our problems leading up to grand final but there is no denying that on the day they were far better than us and deserved the win.
Sorry I posted before I saw your post...Yes I agree that's what leeds do and if that's what we are about to do in a few weeks time I will be happiest man in cas
Vince Lombardi

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 09 Sep 2018, 11:27

daytona wrote:I wouldn’t read much into our next three games. People will but they mean absolutely jack. We have one game, hopefully two that we need to get right but they are a few weeks off yet. I predict when we play Wigan or Saints away in the semi you will see a physicality and an intensity that we haven’t witnessed yet this year.
I get what your saying but if we go in with that attitude then we could end up 4th.

init
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by init » 09 Sep 2018, 11:39

Agree to some degree about the physicality of last nights game..but without three trys from forward passes St's were on the losing end despite their upping the intensity.

They threw more ball to the ground and made more mistakes because of Catalans line speed thats what was making the difference not the physicality...the same happened against Wigan line speed killed St's ability ....Imho if you up your line speed St's have no plan B.

They got out of jail because the officials were dire beyond belief....Wigan and Catalans have shown the way I hope DP has picked up on it too.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 09 Sep 2018, 12:26

Happens often. Leeds are past masters of winning the GF after average seasons and we’ve done it too e.g. cup QF at Wigan in 2014 followed by a 40 point thrashing at the same ground 6 days later.

Toffycat
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Toffycat » 09 Sep 2018, 13:07

I agree with OCL that was bordering on brutal.IMO we dont seem to have that nastiness about us. Milner maybe and from what i have seen of Mitch Clark he could mix it

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 09 Sep 2018, 13:42

Last season's semi final against Saints showed we can raise our game in intensity and physicality.

Lets worry about it come game day!

corvusxiii
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by corvusxiii » 10 Sep 2018, 01:15

Is it just me but does Mitch Clark remind anyone of Ronnie Gibbs?
To finish last in the Tour de France, first you must finish.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 10 Sep 2018, 09:54

I don’t get this lack of physicality a few weeks ago we were complaining about silly penalties? I think we have enough forwards who have plenty of physicality about the Watts, McShane, Clark and Milner all like to mix it up a bit. Wardle can put the hits in and going forward is there many better than Moors?

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 10 Sep 2018, 09:59

TT Tiger wrote:I don’t get this lack of physicality a few weeks ago we were complaining about silly penalties? I think we have enough forwards who have plenty of physicality about the Watts, McShane, Clark and Milner all like to mix it up a bit. Wardle can put the hits in and going forward is there many better than Moors?
My main concern is the going forward.
Yes moors is the one who runs hard, so does Clark, I’d like our forwards to stand deeper and run like a train onto the ball, it’s one thing we don’t seem to do, generally the big men are stood when the ball comes to them.
I wanna see them go like a train at the defence.

StevieTheTV
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by StevieTheTV » 10 Sep 2018, 10:13

old cas lass wrote:
TT Tiger wrote:I don’t get this lack of physicality a few weeks ago we were complaining about silly penalties? I think we have enough forwards who have plenty of physicality about the Watts, McShane, Clark and Milner all like to mix it up a bit. Wardle can put the hits in and going forward is there many better than Moors?
Yes moors is the one who runs hard, so does Clark, I’d like our forwards to stand deeper and run like a train onto the ball, it’s one thing we don’t seem to do, generally the big men are stood when the ball comes to them.
Maybe thats DP's game plan, sometimes if you stand deep and run onto the ball it will cause a slow play of the ball, if you stand shallow and take the ball in, the impact isnt as high meaning you can get to the ground and play the ball quicker meaning our ruck speed is higher.

This season when weve been pumped up and tried to match the oppositions physicality, weve come unstuck, Catalans away / Hudds at home for example.
Tigers for Life! Not just for SuperLeague!!

Tawera Nikau = Legend

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 10 Sep 2018, 10:17

StevieTheTV wrote:
old cas lass wrote:
Maybe thats DP's game plan, sometimes if you stand deep and run onto the ball it will cause a slow play of the ball, if you stand shallow and take the ball in, the impact isnt as high meaning you can get to the ground and play the ball quicker meaning our ruck speed is higher.

This season when weve been pumped up and tried to match the oppositions physicality, weve come unstuck, Catalans away / Hudds at home for example.
Very true steve, you can only play the ball quick if the opposition lets you.
We seem to lay there until the tackler gets off.
We should be fighting to get up, show the refs that teams are laying on.
Sometimes we are to nice.

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 10 Sep 2018, 12:01

I think some of our fans need to subscribe to Tiger tv, and watch the games again.because when it comes to Cas some have very short memories. Our pack dominated the Warrington,Catalan, and Hull packs in the last three games, and most of the games this season, that's why we are pushing for a top two finish,and are guaranteed in the top four

This season we have been decimated by injury, but still got the job done. We had a bad first half against Wigan, and without two dodgy high tackle penalty's by McMeeken, under our sticks we would have got a draw or even won the game