welcome to the club

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Re: welcome to the club

Post by ERG2012 » 25 Sep 2018, 08:07

HuddsTigers wrote:One point I disagree with is that it would cut costs for clubs. Surely it would be more expensive.

Teams fly out on one day and come back the next mostly. If you play teams back to back, it would cost teams more in hotel costs including players and support staff. You also have to hire out training facilities. Then add on to that travel costs from Perpignan to Toulouse.

It’s much cheaper for the team to fly out, come back and then fly out again the following week.
Fair point HT however what about player welfare and tiredness?

Surely if the RFL joined up the writing and spoke to the French clubs/travel operators and tied in with a big hotel chain they could get a rebate to swell the coffers, fans get a better rate for their jollies and the hotel get more exposure through a new market

Then again there's BREXIT and they are French....

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 25 Sep 2018, 08:41

That's upto the clubs how they want to handle that. However, it could be argued that a 2 hr flight from Manchester to Toulouse is no different to sitting on a coach going across to St Helens on the M62 car park.

The point about hotels/travel operators is an interesting one. It could be that some travel organisations do offer tie ups for fans but for them to do it, it's whether a) they have capacity and a need to fill it; and b) whether they would gain anything back from being promoted to UK audiences.

It could also inconvenience some fans. Toulouse is over 2 hours from Perpignan too, which I don't think would benefit fans especially since a lot base themselves in Spain in Lloret. But Catalans Sports Tours may be able to do something in regard to that.

These loop fixtures are going to be a Royal pain in the backside. Could end up being 4 trips to France if Toulouse get promoted.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 25 Sep 2018, 09:05

HuddsTigers wrote:That's upto the clubs how they want to handle that. However, it could be argued that a 2 hr flight from Manchester to Toulouse is no different to sitting on a coach going across to St Helens on the M62 car park.

The point about hotels/travel operators is an interesting one. It could be that some travel organisations do offer tie ups for fans but for them to do it, it's whether a) they have capacity and a need to fill it; and b) whether they would gain anything back from being promoted to UK audiences.

It could also inconvenience some fans. Toulouse is over 2 hours from Perpignan too, which I don't think would benefit fans especially since a lot base themselves in Spain in Lloret. But Catalans Sports Tours may be able to do something in regard to that.

These loop fixtures are going to be a Royal pain in the backside. Could end up being 4 trips to France if Toulouse get promoted.
Yeah but you have to get to Manchester airport first.
Meaning travelling on the m62 and maybe sitting there for ages, that’s before the 2hr flight even sets off.

Laner57

Post by Laner57 » 25 Sep 2018, 09:38

Good point. Well put. But like everything it's all about money.

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 25 Sep 2018, 10:55

HuddsTigers wrote:One point I disagree with is that it would cut costs for clubs. Surely it would be more expensive.

Teams fly out on one day and come back the next mostly. If you play teams back to back, it would cost teams more in hotel costs including players and support staff. You also have to hire out training facilities. Then add on to that travel costs from Perpignan to Toulouse.

It’s much cheaper for the team to fly out, come back and then fly out again the following week.
Nothing to prevent the clubs still doing that is there??

The fans would stay for the week's holiday but the players could still go in and out same day for both games.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 25 Sep 2018, 11:53

HuddsTigers wrote:That's upto the clubs how they want to handle that. However, it could be argued that a 2 hr flight from Manchester to Toulouse is no different to sitting on a coach going across to St Helens on the M62 car park.

looks like if they keep to there odds and evens loop fixtures which i think is what was meant in the piece i read this morning we will play saints in next years magic weekend
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Burratha
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Burratha » 25 Sep 2018, 11:54

The Fox wrote:Nothing to prevent the clubs still doing that is there??

The fans would stay for the week's holiday but the players could still go in and out same day for both games.
That could possibly disrupt the players even more - as there's travelling home from the first fixtures, and then getting ready to go back out there again only a few days later.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 25 Sep 2018, 13:03

For me it’s strongest team possible if any has a niggle or is a bit tight rest them. Let them worry about the fire we are going to bring. Also I think it’s a great shot of getting this St. Helens away monkey off our back, that said I wouldn’t mind losing this 1 if we go on to win the 2 after that. We are back where we like to be we are the underdogs the pressure is different it’s on the other side. We can beat any of the sides in the top 4.