2018 Dream Team

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: 2018 Dream Team

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 02 Oct 2018, 12:26

steadygetyerboots-on wrote:
JIN JER wrote:Each of the three Wakefield players deserve their inclusion, Ashurst defends superbly, runs good lines and backs up, Johnstone is a wonderful talent and Tupou has matured into a great centre. Think it's blinkers time there Fryston. :)
I have no arguments with Tupou & Johnstone, they’ve had stellar seasons, but no way Matty Ashurst has been one of the two best second rowers in the league! Don’t get me wrong he’s a solid player who has had a decent season, but he misses too many tackles, makes too many errors & gives away too many penalties to be anywhere close to the dream team for me.
Just done a quick bit of homework & I know stats don’t paint the whole picture & I’m not saying Oli Holmes should’ve been in the dream team, but the below does make interesting reading & makes me, at least, wonder how they choose players.

Tries:
Holmes 9
Ashurst 4

Tackles:
Holmes 710
Ashurst 1058

Missed tackles:
Holmes 29
Ashurst 42

Tackle busts:
Holmes 39
Ashurst 42

Metres:
Holmes 1976
Ashurst 1916

Av. Gain:
Holmes 7.24
Ashurst 6.92

Clean breaks:
Holmes 10
Ashurst 8

Errors:
Holmes 10
Ashurst 18

Offloads:
Holmes 14
Ashurst 9

Penalties:
Holmes 18
Ashurst 28
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

Fryston Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Fryston Tiger » 02 Oct 2018, 12:34

BigBez10 wrote:
Fryston Tiger wrote:
JIN JER wrote:Each of the three Wakefield players deserve their inclusion, Ashurst defends superbly, runs good lines and backs up, Johnstone is a wonderful talent and Tupou has matured into a great centre. Think it's blinkers time there Fryston. :)
If a team in 5th....a full 10 points short of the top 4...gets 3 in the season's Dream Team, i would say that the 4 teams in the Semis have had loads of injuries in those positions or they have a dearth of talent in them!
I dont think so....
Has Bill Tupou had a better season than Ryan Morgan for example?
Our very own Greg Eden is only 6 tries behind TJ....having played something like 10 game less. And has TJ had a better season than say Regan Grace or Josh Charnley?
Matty Ashusrt may run good lines, defend superbly and back up....so hasn't Zeb Taia or Dominque Peyroux at Saints or Benjamin Garcia at Catalans? All 3 of whom are in the Semis and have won something this season......

I think the journos who voted for the Dream Team are just voting for them who were fresh in their minds at the time!
A team can be in the top four but not have the best individuals...
They can.....but they are in the top 4 for a reason....they usually have the best players in their respective positions. Someone has to really stand-out to get in ahead of them. Can you say that the 3 Wakey lads have? Good players without a doubt....but have they outshone the other players I mentioned. In my opinion, I don't think they have.

BigBez10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by BigBez10 » 02 Oct 2018, 12:40

Fryston Tiger wrote:
BigBez10 wrote:
Fryston Tiger wrote:
If a team in 5th....a full 10 points short of the top 4...gets 3 in the season's Dream Team, i would say that the 4 teams in the Semis have had loads of injuries in those positions or they have a dearth of talent in them!
I dont think so....
Our very own Greg Eden is only 6 tries behind TJ....having played something like 10 game less. And has TJ had a better season than say Regan Grace or Josh Charnley?
Matty Ashusrt may run good lines, defend superbly and back up....so hasn't Zeb Taia or Dominque Peyroux at Saints or Benjamin Garcia at Catalans? All 3 of whom are in the Semis and have won something this season......

I think the journos who voted for the Dream Team are just voting for them who were fresh in their minds at the time!
They can.....but they are in the top 4 for a reason....they usually have the best players in their respective positions. Someone has to really stand-out to get in ahead of them. Can you say that the 3 Wakey lads have? Good players without a doubt....but have they outshone the other players I mentioned. In my opinion, I don't think they have.
I don't think you can argue with Tupou or Johnstone at all. I agree Ashurst is the weakest claim and I would probably have a number of players in there before him.

Still don't think it matters where your team finishes or whether they have won anything. The dream team is about the players individually.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 02 Oct 2018, 12:49

Fryston Tiger wrote:….And don't get me started on that England Squad!!!!!
Reece Lyne? Think i'd rather try and find if Bill Tupou has English Grandparents!!!!!!!!
LOL 100% true though

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 02 Oct 2018, 12:51

BigBez10 wrote:
Fryston Tiger wrote:
BigBez10 wrote:
Fryston Tiger wrote:
I dont think so....

I don't think you can argue with Tupou or Johnstone at all. I agree Ashurst is the weakest claim and I would probably have a number of players in there before him.

Still don't think it matters where your team finishes or whether they have won anything. The dream team is about the players individually.
And that's how I see it BB.
The four teams above Trinity are an example of having a high performing team rather than high performing individuals.
You could in theory have the second or third best player in every position. You wouldn't be represented in the dream team but it's pretty likely you'd have a good chance of getting to a Grand final or winning the LLS.

Fryston Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Fryston Tiger » 02 Oct 2018, 13:02

BigBez10 wrote:
Fryston Tiger wrote:
BigBez10 wrote:
Fryston Tiger wrote:
I dont think so....

I just have above :roll:

BigBez10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by BigBez10 » 02 Oct 2018, 13:41

Fryston Tiger wrote:
BigBez10 wrote:
Fryston Tiger wrote:
BigBez10 wrote:
Fryston Tiger wrote:
I dont think so....

I just have above :roll:
Are you saying Morgan has played better than Tupou this season? Because I think you're very much in the minority if so.

Had Eden played a full season, and played how he has for the 14 games he's played, then yes he'd definitely be in the dream team but the fact is he's played half a season - the same argument is being used as to why SOL shouldn't be in the squad.

Fryston Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Fryston Tiger » 02 Oct 2018, 16:59

''Are you saying Morgan has played better than Tupou this season? Because I think you're very much in the minority if so. 

Had Eden played a full season, and played how he has for the 14 games he's played, then yes he'd definitely be in the dream team but the fact is he's played half a season - the same argument is being used as to why SOL shouldn't be in the squad.''

I like being in the minority on here!

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 02 Oct 2018, 17:01

Fryston Tiger wrote:''Are you saying Morgan has played better than Tupou this season? Because I think you're very much in the minority if so. 

Had Eden played a full season, and played how he has for the 14 games he's played, then yes he'd definitely be in the dream team but the fact is he's played half a season - the same argument is being used as to why SOL shouldn't be in the squad.''

Me too, but I've no option. :)

BigBez10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by BigBez10 » 03 Oct 2018, 11:14

Fryston Tiger wrote:''Are you saying Morgan has played better than Tupou this season? Because I think you're very much in the minority if so. 

Yeah that's understandable :lol:

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 05 Oct 2018, 11:55

as i said before joke having richardson in creates nothing gets caught with the ball time and again on the last tackle if matty smith had have played for saints last night might well have won
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi