Next Year's Squad

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 18 Nov 2018, 18:49

jackknife wrote:I hope we get pat
Is he any good? Not seen him play.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Nov 2018, 11:23

The sau business is a funny one looked like cas had signed him few weeks back then he wanted to stay atSalford says in paper he wants to leave after all but not to go to cas !
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 19 Nov 2018, 11:57

RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:
jackknife wrote:I hope we get pat
Is he any good? Not seen him play.
Iv only seen highlights hes a big lad {6ft 16stone) and has a decent offload and hes only young (25) compared to sau.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

SWISS TONY!!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SWISS TONY!! » 19 Nov 2018, 12:52

old cas lass wrote:
SWISS TONY!! wrote:We signed matautia with about 6 weeks to go before the end of this season. And watts part way through the season. If we hadnt but signed them both now for 2019 wed all be sayinh wow, great signings. Expecting great things from PM after a full pre season with us. Watts will just get better and better if he listens to what the coach is saying. Theres a lions tour supposedly end of next year, that must be his motivation!

All those saying that foster was excellent in centre last year can i ask when? He had a good game against leeds and held his own on another occasion and was a good stand in due to injuries but hes an out and out back rower for me who could do a short term job at centre if needed, hes a good player! And it's only because of our strength in the back row that we think foster for centre. The question is do we try and offload a back rower to bring in a centre? But as has been said previously who is there to bring in thats available at the right quality? Maybe minikin is the answer but we wont find out until we try him in a number of games
Foster had a cracking game away at HKR at center.

So thats 2 or 3 games? Was this in a run of continuous games ocl? Not being funny just asking as players can have amazing one off games when its new to them and the oposition dont know what to expect but then get found out when teams study them. Eg trueman at fb.
I think foster is a great person in out team and a very solid player that wont let anyone down. He has size and is a great defensive player but it takes more than that to be succesful at centre. To be there fulltime is a mistake imo. As short term cover ie 2/3 games great.
Long Live The Monkey Munch!!!

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 19 Nov 2018, 12:56

SWISS TONY!! wrote:
old cas lass wrote:
SWISS TONY!! wrote:We signed matautia with about 6 weeks to go before the end of this season. And watts part way through the season. If we hadnt but signed them both now for 2019 wed all be sayinh wow, great signings. Expecting great things from PM after a full pre season with us. Watts will just get better and better if he listens to what the coach is saying. Theres a lions tour supposedly end of next year, that must be his motivation!

All those saying that foster was excellent in centre last year can i ask when? He had a good game against leeds and held his own on another occasion and was a good stand in due to injuries but hes an out and out back rower for me who could do a short term job at centre if needed, hes a good player! And it's only because of our strength in the back row that we think foster for centre. The question is do we try and offload a back rower to bring in a centre? But as has been said previously who is there to bring in thats available at the right quality? Maybe minikin is the answer but we wont find out until we try him in a number of games

So thats 2 or 3 games? Was this in a run of continuous games ocl? Not being funny just asking as players can have amazing one off games when its new to them and the oposition dont know what to expect but then get found out when teams study them. Eg trueman at fb.
I think foster is a great person in out team and a very solid player that wont let anyone down. He has size and is a great defensive player but it takes more than that to be succesful at centre. To be there fulltime is a mistake imo. As short term cover ie 2/3 games great.
He was also the stand out player when we drew with KR at home. Even more impressive was, he was playing with an injury he picked up early on. I could be wrong, but I think this was the injury that ultimately ended is season too.

SREGITSAC
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SREGITSAC » 19 Nov 2018, 17:42

heritage1926 wrote:
SWISS TONY!! wrote:
old cas lass wrote:

He was also the stand out player when we drew with KR at home. Even more impressive was, he was playing with an injury he picked up early on. I could be wrong, but I think this was the injury that ultimately ended is season too.
Aye, broken foot

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 19 Nov 2018, 17:57

SWISS TONY!! wrote:
old cas lass wrote:

Not sure tony.
The HKR away I was there and he was outstanding. They couldn’t cope with him Down our right.
You could be right about opposition not knowing his play.
Personally I prefer an out and out center. Looking less and less we won’t be bringing one in.
Unless DP pulls a rabbit out of the hat.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 19 Nov 2018, 20:19

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Nov 2018, 20:54

old cas lass wrote:Statement from Jon wells.

https://castlefordtigers.com/mobile/article.php?id=6174
Must have missed the semi -final if he thinks the squad is good enough
Sorry I give him it's a deep squad players like Turner Clark Foster can go to another level hope we've got other young players that will step but it was obvious to me we were two good players short one was a centre and not signing one is not a option
Other thing he might want to do around this time next year is save some salary cap to make a signing it raises spirits sells more season tickets and shifts more merchandise in the build up to Christmas
Vince Lombardi

classysupercas3
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classysupercas3 » 19 Nov 2018, 21:01

Bit of spin in there! I can see a championship player that's about it coming in. I think they have payed some of these players too much!!! Time will tell once again if the club has got it wrong again with makeshift players filling roles

Surreycasfan
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Surreycasfan » 19 Nov 2018, 21:25

You just can't please some people.

Pay the LLS winning squad more to stay, alongside the young player of the year is absolutely the right thing to do.

Jon is saying we aren't going to go and spend money on players that don't add to the first 17. Quite right too.

If the right player comes along we will be in there.....they clearly know we are potentially light in the centres, just like they knew we were light in front row (Watts) and full back (PM) last season.

We are a consistent top 4 team who no longer buy 'run of the mill' players, when you are top 4 it's harder to make your squad better

Have more faith everyone.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 19 Nov 2018, 21:32

Surreycasfan wrote:You just can't please some people.

Pay the LLS winning squad more to stay, alongside the young player of the year is absolutely the right thing to do.

Jon is saying we aren't going to go and spend money on players that don't add to the first 17. Quite right too.

If the right player comes along we will be in there.....they clearly know we are potentially light in the centres, just like they knew we were light in front row (Watts) and full back (PM) last season.

We are a consistent top 4 team who no longer buy 'run of the mill' players, when you are top 4 it's harder to make your squad better

:clap: :clap: :clap:
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 19 Nov 2018, 21:54

A good run with injuries and DP changing a few things, mindset mostly, and we could finish top 4 comfortably.

I am not overly worried now with the squad as it is. We would all like more quality but so would every other SL club. If DP can change the mindset then we already know what we are capable of. I would take 3rd again and a CC Final appearance.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Nov 2018, 21:56

Surreycasfan wrote:You just can't please some people.

They knew we were short at full back you rightly say about october time it was ...qlt arrived late summer the following year in the mean-time we tried to fill in with Ben Roberts young Turner Shenton Trueman Eden Clare and so on and so on if your a top four side this does not occur simple or at least if it does your asking for trouble
Vince Lombardi

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 19 Nov 2018, 22:03

We have to trust those running the club has they are in a far better position to make an assessment on what we have,what we have to spend and who's available in the market. It's an opportunity for someone within to stake a claim in the centre and make the position their own.
It won't please everyone,it will probably cost the club money has the feel good factor of the past few years is slowly ebbing away,but we have to stick with the club and hopefully that faith will be rewarded. IMO I'd rather wait a few months for the right player and keep our powder dry than end up with a player that doesn't suit us that we may then end up stuck with.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 19 Nov 2018, 22:33

We have a decent squad but not good enough to win owt all other teams around us have improved Any body Whos being around the game will now are back line is not good enough shenton passed it and are we going to play somebody different at centre every week like we did at fullback last year till we relise we need one. sorry to affend claire lovers he should not be any were near starting 13 in a top four team. would he get in wigan warrington st helens team off cause not. They are taking a massive gamble for me hope it works and we win something with out spending .but it also could go the other way and push us in the wrong direction in the league we will have a idea by april if they have it right roll on the new season when all speculation is over.

Jonny1975
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jonny1975 » 19 Nov 2018, 23:10

Great post totally agree, last season's poor recruitment is still haunting us. Salary cap being filled with players on pay roll that have no realistic future at the club. It'll bite us on the bum next season, teams have strengthened around us, I genuinely don't see us being in top 6, could even say top 8.

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 19 Nov 2018, 23:13

Completley agree over inflated panic contracts on some players like aston ellis Roberts getting his extension. I honestly think gadwin will have been on a decent deal as he was going well when he signed his extension so surley we have some cash left for at least one proven player. I mean we were after williame we tried talking to salford about sau

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 20 Nov 2018, 09:08

I cannot understand for the life of me how Aston is still continuing to be paid by the club. I'd rather his wages be used to upgrade facilities.

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 20 Nov 2018, 10:27

Jonny1975 wrote:Great post totally agree, last season's poor recruitment is still haunting us. Salary cap being filled with players on pay roll that have no realistic future at the club. It'll bite us on the bum next season, teams have strengthened around us, I genuinely don't see us being in top 6, could even say top 8.
Really?
3rd for me again with saints and wire above us
Wigan Waki and Hudds fighting it out for 4th and 5th