Next Year's Squad

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by flow » 19 Nov 2018, 22:33

We have a decent squad but not good enough to win owt all other teams around us have improved Any body Whos being around the game will now are back line is not good enough shenton passed it and are we going to play somebody different at centre every week like we did at fullback last year till we relise we need one. sorry to affend claire lovers he should not be any were near starting 13 in a top four team. would he get in wigan warrington st helens team off cause not. They are taking a massive gamble for me hope it works and we win something with out spending .but it also could go the other way and push us in the wrong direction in the league we will have a idea by april if they have it right roll on the new season when all speculation is over.

Jonny1975
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jonny1975 » 19 Nov 2018, 23:10

Great post totally agree, last season's poor recruitment is still haunting us. Salary cap being filled with players on pay roll that have no realistic future at the club. It'll bite us on the bum next season, teams have strengthened around us, I genuinely don't see us being in top 6, could even say top 8.

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 19 Nov 2018, 23:13

Completley agree over inflated panic contracts on some players like aston ellis Roberts getting his extension. I honestly think gadwin will have been on a decent deal as he was going well when he signed his extension so surley we have some cash left for at least one proven player. I mean we were after williame we tried talking to salford about sau

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 20 Nov 2018, 09:08

I cannot understand for the life of me how Aston is still continuing to be paid by the club. I'd rather his wages be used to upgrade facilities.

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 20 Nov 2018, 10:27

Jonny1975 wrote:Great post totally agree, last season's poor recruitment is still haunting us. Salary cap being filled with players on pay roll that have no realistic future at the club. It'll bite us on the bum next season, teams have strengthened around us, I genuinely don't see us being in top 6, could even say top 8.
Really?
3rd for me again with saints and wire above us
Wigan Waki and Hudds fighting it out for 4th and 5th

Jonny1975
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jonny1975 » 20 Nov 2018, 10:37

We won't be 3rd, Leeds will be top 4 next yr, with Wigan, Wire & Saints, Wakey & Hudds have strengthened well, and will have as good a squad as us, Catalans will go well, Salford have strengthened as have KR, we have stood still, I will be very surprised if we may top 6, and wouldn't be surprised if we struggle for top 8.

westerbeast
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast » 20 Nov 2018, 10:51

It's all well and good teams getting new players but they have to gel with the exusting players and learn the plays. A lot of our squad have been together now several seasons and Gale will be like a new signing this Year as he missed most of last season. We need a decent centre and we will be top 4 again or Foster/minikin will do a job at centre. Loosing Webster doesn't make us a poor team overnight. To be honest he was injured a lot last Year too and we still did well without Gale.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 20 Nov 2018, 11:05

Jonny1975 wrote:We won't be 3rd, Leeds will be top 4 next yr, with Wigan, Wire & Saints, Wakey & Hudds have strengthened well, and will have as good a squad as us, Catalans will go well, Salford have strengthened as have KR, we have stood still, I will be very surprised if we may top 6, and wouldn't be surprised if we struggle for top 8.
From 3rd to 8th because we've not strengthened is quite a drop lol

Can't see Leeds top 4 either

Saints wire top 2
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 20 Nov 2018, 11:07

westerbeast wrote:It's all well and good teams getting new players but they have to gel with the exusting players and learn the plays. A lot of our squad have been together now several seasons and Gale will be like a new signing this Year as he missed most of last season. We need a decent centre and we will be top 4 again or Foster/minikin will do a job at centre. Loosing Webster doesn't make us a poor team overnight. To be honest he was injured a lot last Year too and we still did well without Gale.
I've said it before our strength is we know what we have,get our fitness right and we can hit the ground running. You only have to look at hull to see recruiting is difficult unless you have huge amounts to spend. I look at Leeds and yes they have made two big signings but they have also lost some quality, Merrin may turn out to be a solid signing but IMO he's a grafter with no X factor and a expensive one at that,certainly no better than a top English backrower but will cost far more.

It's a long season and things can change and you can pick up some quality has the season unravels as we did this year,the key is to stay in contention. Whilst frustrating I think we are doing the right thing.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 20 Nov 2018, 11:17

Here’s a little bit of positivity amongst all the doom and gloom;

I cannot wait to see Watts and Peanut in 2019 after a proper pre-season. I’m also looking forward to seeing what he, Gale and Trueman can produce as well.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 20 Nov 2018, 11:33

heritage1926 wrote:Here’s a little bit of positivity amongst all the doom and gloom;

I cannot wait to see Watts and Peanut in 2019 after a proper pre-season. I’m also looking forward to seeing what he, Gale and Trueman can produce as well.
True but unfortunately its a team game

baldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by baldtiger » 20 Nov 2018, 13:19

heritage1926 wrote:Here’s a little bit of positivity amongst all the doom and gloom;

" Jesus " thank god for your post I was about to slit me wrists !! There's some panic around this forum. We had an injury list as long as your arm last year , not just players in the stand but some on the field with knocks. Like you've said Watts n Peanut came in mid season both great additions ( cant wait for the season to start me sen ) :dance: :dance:

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 20 Nov 2018, 13:29

I believe it was Winston Churchill who said something along the lines of, you have to look at history to prevent repeating the same mistakes.

Time and time again in our past we have failed to improve and strengthen squads, only to drop like a stone. It doesn't take a genius to work out the likely outcome of repeating the tact.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 20 Nov 2018, 13:33

baldtiger wrote:

" Jesus " thank god for your post I was about to slit me wrists !! There's some panic around this forum. We had an injury list as long as your arm last year , not just players in the stand but some on the field with knocks. Like you've said Watts n Peanut came in mid season both great additions ( cant wait for the season to start me sen ) :dance: :dance:
I am with you mate we did it tough last year, yes we have lost big Jake in an ideal world he could be replaced we all hope he can be , a fit Jake was a real asset but his age was taking its toll in and out the team with knocks, with the team we have a top four spot is achievable , COME ON YE FORD

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Nov 2018, 13:38

spot on F.C ...After a while people get (REMOVED) off of hearing depressing posts and i get that but nothing that jon wells said yesterday filled me with confidence we would buck the trend of getting so far dumb decisions being made and falling back from where we came
Last edited by tigerfeat on 20 Nov 2018, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 20 Nov 2018, 13:47

Jonny1975 wrote:We won't be 3rd, Leeds will be top 4 next yr, with Wigan, Wire & Saints, Wakey & Hudds have strengthened well, and will have as good a squad as us, Catalans will go well, Salford have strengthened as have KR, we have stood still, I will be very surprised if we may top 6, and wouldn't be surprised if we struggle for top 8.
Leeds you having a laugh won’t make top 6 few good signing but a terrible squad.

Wigan lost there 2 best players Hardaker won’t be the same player as he was at Cas 15 months out he will lost a yard of pace.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 20 Nov 2018, 15:07

Flat Capper wrote:I believe it was Winston Churchill who said something along the lines of, you have to look at history to prevent repeating the same mistakes.

Time and time again in our past we have failed to improve and strengthen squads, only to drop like a stone. It doesn't take a genius to work out the likely outcome of repeating the tact.
Great post the people who think squad is good enough are in cuckoo land dont matter how deep your squad if no Quality like when we never replaced Blackmore Kemp ellis ended in relegation with signing lower league players .rather have 16quality then a pool off thirty with 70% only good enough for lower league

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 20 Nov 2018, 16:00

flow wrote:
Flat Capper wrote:I believe it was Winston Churchill who said something along the lines of, you have to look at history to prevent repeating the same mistakes.

Great post the people who think squad is good enough are in cuckoo land dont matter how deep your squad if no Quality like when we never replaced Blackmore Kemp ellis ended in relegation with signing lower league players .rather have 16quality then a pool off thirty with 70% only good enough for lower league
We didn’t replace Blackmore kemp and Ellis and then got relegated 10 years later? I don’t understand the logic there?

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 20 Nov 2018, 16:04

flow wrote:

Good enough for what? Other than Webster its the same pool of players that finished 4th this year. Again just my opinion but we are 1 player short either a winger or centre but if the right player isn't available for whatever reason what do you do. I still feel our biggest problem last year other than no full back was poor fitness brought on by a shocking pre season which has been addressed with a new conditioner. Our squad is good enough,our coaching staff is good enough have some faith.

Kenilworth Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Kenilworth Tiger » 20 Nov 2018, 17:28

This is the squad that beat St Helens in the Semi Final in 2017

Hardaker; Minikin, Webster, Shenton, Eden; Roberts, Gale; Massey, McShane, Sene-Lefao, Foster, McMeeken, Milner.
Subs - Millington, Moors, Cook, Springer

We have lost Hardaker, Webster and Springer from that squad and added Watts and Matautia so I would say we are only 1 player worse off and that's Webster.

Wells has stated that we are pushing for 1 more signing - if that is a centre I'd say we're in pretty good shape if you add Truman, Holmes and Clark to that squad also
I don't have a favourite second team - it's Cas 100% for me