Next Year's Squad

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by HuddsTigers » 26 Oct 2018, 18:17

Don't know why people think we're going to suddenly slip down. Leeds have just signed Dom Crosby permanently FFS. Imagine the reaction on here if we had!

Saints had by far and away the best team last season and were on fire but even towards the back end they did a Cas and flopped. Their form also went very patchy managing to scrape wins here and there as we did. Teams will have a target on them next season and I can see it affecting them in the same way. Barba made them tick and he's gone. Are Coote and Naiqama just as good replacements? I doubt it. Paulo to replace Wilkin, Naiqama to replace Morgan probably, Coote to replace Barba.

If you compare teams, does anyone think they look that much stronger. Some of the benches look weak and then it's into fringe and kids. A lot of these teams have thrown money at top level players and don't have much below.

Saints/Wigan/Wire/Cas

Coote/ Hardaker/ Ratchford/ Matautia
Makinson/ Manfredi/ Lineham/ Clare
Naiqama/ Sarginson/ Goodwin/ Minikin
Percival/ Gildart/ Currie/ Shenton
Grace/ Burgess/ Charnley/ Eden
Lomax/ Williams/ Patton*/ Trueman
Richardson/ Powell/ Austin/ Gale
Walmsley/ Clubb/ Hill/ Millington
Roby/Leuluai/ D Clark/ McShane
Thompson/ Flower/ J Clark/ Watts
Paulo/ Farrell/ Hughes/ Foster
Taia/ Greenwood/ Livett/ McMeeken
McCarthy Scarsbrook/O'Loughlin/ Murdoch-Masila/ Milner

Knowles/ Escare/ Cooper/ Cook
Fages/ Isa/ Philbin/ Clark
Douglas/Tautai/ Westwood/ JSL
Peyroux/ Navarette/ Tasi/ Moors

Warrington haven't resigned Kevin Brown at the moment so their halves are Patton and Austin. Wigan, Wire and Saints all have ageing players in Roby, O'Loughlin, and Westwood too.

Outside of this for example, Wire have: Toby King, Atkins, Akauola, Danny Walker, Matt Davis and a load of kids.

Outside of this, Wigan have: Davies, Marshall, Hamlin, Hankinson, Bullock, and then all their kids

Saints: Swift, Amor (if he doesn't go), Bentley and then all their kids.

Cas: Holmes, Massey, Roberts, Ellis, Wardle, Turner, Maher, Gill, Egodo, Aston, O'Neill and any more kids.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 26 Oct 2018, 19:03

Great post backed up with evidence on squad depth
Hopefully the ‘World Cup factor ‘ will be missing next season and we can get off to a flier and have a bit more luck on the injury front

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 26 Oct 2018, 19:22

I don't think anybody doubts we've got a deep squad it's wether we can bring in another good player who wil just give us that something extra going into next season I'd have us top three for certain if we don't sign anybody unless we get crippled with injuries
I agree with the post about zak costing us more than last years grand final it had a effect on all what Darryl was putting together not that it's something he's not used to since the day he took over he's had to keep re-building sometimes in the cases of Carney Solomona and Hardaker for reasons you'd do well to make up
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 26 Oct 2018, 19:37

HuddsTigers wrote:Don't know why people think we're going to suddenly slip down. Leeds have just signed Dom Crosby permanently FFS. Imagine the reaction on here if we had!

Saints had by far and away the best team last season and were on fire but even towards the back end they did a Cas and flopped. Their form also went very patchy managing to scrape wins here and there as we did. Teams will have a target on them next season and I can see it affecting them in the same way. Barba made them tick and he's gone. Are Coote and Naiqama just as good replacements? I doubt it. Paulo to replace Wilkin, Naiqama to replace Morgan probably, Coote to replace Barba.

If you compare teams, does anyone think they look that much stronger. Some of the benches look weak and then it's into fringe and kids. A lot of these teams have thrown money at top level players and don't have much below.

Saints/Wigan/Wire/Cas

Coote/ Hardaker/ Ratchford/ Matautia
Makinson/ Manfredi/ Lineham/ Clare
Naiqama/ Sarginson/ Goodwin/ Minikin
Percival/ Gildart/ Currie/ Shenton
Grace/ Burgess/ Charnley/ Eden
Lomax/ Williams/ Patton*/ Trueman
Richardson/ Powell/ Austin/ Gale
Walmsley/ Clubb/ Hill/ Millington
Roby/Leuluai/ D Clark/ McShane
Thompson/ Flower/ J Clark/ Watts
Paulo/ Farrell/ Hughes/ Foster
Taia/ Greenwood/ Livett/ McMeeken
McCarthy Scarsbrook/O'Loughlin/ Murdoch-Masila/ Milner

Knowles/ Escare/ Cooper/ Cook
Fages/ Isa/ Philbin/ Clark
Douglas/Tautai/ Westwood/ JSL
Peyroux/ Navarette/ Tasi/ Moors

Warrington haven't resigned Kevin Brown at the moment so their halves are Patton and Austin. Wigan, Wire and Saints all have ageing players in Roby, O'Loughlin, and Westwood too.

Outside of this for example, Wire have: Toby King, Atkins, Akauola, Danny Walker, Matt Davis and a load of kids.

Outside of this, Wigan have: Davies, Marshall, Hamlin, Hankinson, Bullock, and then all their kids

Saints: Swift, Amor (if he doesn't go), Bentley and then all their kids.

Cas: Holmes, Massey, Roberts, Ellis, Wardle, Turner, Maher, Gill, Egodo, Aston, O'Neill and any more kids.
Interesting how views differ, our outside backs don't match up to the others IMO and this is where we have no depth without playing a back rower or giving a youngster a go if we pick up any injuries/suspension. it the whole full back situation all over again.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 26 Oct 2018, 20:15

I’m not disagreeing on that point - my bone of contention was that other sides are stronger significantly. Yes, a lot throw most of their money into their 17 but very little outside of that. We always have a solid 23-24 players front line. By and large the sides we think are stronger are the same sides that we wiped the floor with 2 years ago across the season and/or competed with last year with a injury hit squad.

Most of the work is done in the forwards and if you do a good job there, the backs get the freedom to do theirs. Eden has scored tries for fun on the left wing and our right side isn’t bad either when on form.

One more signing would complete us IMO but I also have faith that Kieran Gill will be a decent replacement on the wing and that Wardle, Foster are more than solid enough defensively to hold their own at centre for us when required there for us.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 26 Oct 2018, 20:32

I still think if Turner as a good pre season he could start first game at full-back

Minikin
Mata'utia
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Gale
Take them over most I would
Vince Lombardi

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 26 Oct 2018, 20:35

HuddsTigers wrote:I’m not disagreeing on that point - my bone of contention was that other sides are stronger significantly. Yes, a lot throw most of their money into their 17 but very little outside of that. We always have a solid 23-24 players front line. By and large the sides we think are stronger are the same sides that we wiped the floor with 2 years ago across the season and/or competed with last year with a injury hit squad.

Most of the work is done in the forwards and if you do a good job there, the backs get the freedom to do theirs. Eden has scored tries for fun on the left wing and our right side isn’t bad either when on form.

One more signing would complete us IMO but I also have faith that Kieran Gill will be a decent replacement on the wing and that Wardle, Foster are more than solid enough defensively to hold their own at centre for us when required there for us.
Like I say all about opinions, I'm very worried about our right edge if we want to be contenders which given the 3 year plan is the intention. We look a body light in that department.

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 26 Oct 2018, 20:46

I’m not sure how you have come to the conclusion that Steve Price is a fabulous coach Mysterio. He has undoubtedly got Warrington well drilled defensively but they have bored me to tears with ball in hand. Most of their plays rely on good go forward by Hill and a scoot from Clark which can open up opportunities, but when they are off the field they look clueless. If five drives and a kick is your thing then yes he’s fabulous. I admit Blake Austin is a great signing for them but if they play to the same structure he’s going to be hamstrung in his opportunities to get them moving. I wouldn’t swap him for either of our half backs anyway.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 26 Oct 2018, 21:41

tigerfeat wrote:I still think if Turner as a good pre season he could start first game at full-back

Minikin
Mata'utia
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Gale

Turner needs a to get his attitude right from minute one of pre season. Comes across like his Sh** smells better than most.

John
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by John » 26 Oct 2018, 22:04

Casmoley wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:I still think if Turner as a good pre season he could start first game at full-back

Minikin
Mata'utia
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Gale

Turner needs a to get his attitude right from minute one of pre season. Comes across like his Sh** smells better than most.
I agree he has has 1 good game attitude in 19s has been poor and the other 4 games for the 1st team was poor he needs to go on loan and see what he does

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 27 Oct 2018, 07:44

Disappointing if a young lad as that kind of attitude maybe dp will get across in no uncertain terms during the upcoming pre-season to everybody in the squad just what is required from here on in
Vince Lombardi

John
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by John » 27 Oct 2018, 07:52

DP has had him in once but he never changed lets hope pre season helps as it never last year as he never did it pulled up injured time will tell

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 27 Oct 2018, 08:41

John wrote:
Casmoley wrote:

Minikin
Mata'utia
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Gale

I agree he has has 1 good game attitude in 19s has been poor and the other 4 games for the 1st team was poor he needs to go on loan and see what he does
don't think just turner need to prove his self shenton should not be guaranteed start on is performances last year need to sign at least one more centre .

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 27 Oct 2018, 08:50

John wrote:
Casmoley wrote:

Minikin
Mata'utia
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Gale

I don't like knocking young players but I have to agree, once he'd signed that contract his game and attitude dropped. Also agree he needs to go out on loan and prove his worth.
Last edited by braytontiger on 27 Oct 2018, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 27 Oct 2018, 08:56

most of us fans want the signing of a center to fill the big hole left by Jake no doubt the club will be on the look out, were we are going to find one who would please us will be hard, we might have to hang back till the right one hopefully becomes available, to sign one for the sake of it would be folly

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 27 Oct 2018, 09:09

Disappointing to here the comments about young Turner I just go with my gut and it told me he was going to be a good un when I saw him play at wire
Hopefully dp will sort it if there's a problem
Vince Lombardi

Dixie D
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dixie D » 04 Nov 2018, 07:54

The squad to me just looks unbalanced as of now. We are crying out for a centre and a prop. Really bugs me that we negate the threat of Moors and JSL by playing them prop, when they go out wide they cause absolute panic but are average props, id say JSL is a poor one but is only doing what he is asked. We then have Meeks, Holmes and Foster so 5 really good second rowers.
I just don't see why we have them all, if we could ship two of them out, even though it would be tough as they are all quality, and replace with a big centre and another solid prop the squad would be complete.
Anyway thanks for listening,
Yours sincerely,
A Cluelessfan.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 04 Nov 2018, 08:10

We have been hawking a couple of players around to try and bring the couple of players in we need
Vince Lombardi

Tigerman2014
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigerman2014 » 04 Nov 2018, 09:11

We are desperately short in th backs which is baffling why we haven’t sorted this when we knew Webster was leaving months ago maybe even before the season began. Another forward would be nice but it has to be a centre/winger as an urgent priority

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 04 Nov 2018, 10:04

Agree unbalanced.

If you went on the position the player would rather play / Powell plays them..

FB - Mata'utia Turner
W - Eden Clare
C - Shenton Minikin Egodo Gill Storey
SO Trueman Roberts
HB Gale Ellis Aston
P Watts Millington Cook Junior Jesse Clark Maher
H McShane
SR Holmes Mcmeeken Foster Wardle
LF Milner Massey O'Neil

Squad of 29.at least 18 that can cover a different position.
I see a clear difference in experience from the backs to the forwards.
I disagree we need any more forwards, however with Junior, Millo, Cook over 30 the next few years are key in sourcing replacements for them.
I wouldnt get rid of any back rowers, we have 4 lads under 28 who could be and some already are international quality.
Can lose 1 half back for sure.