2018 - Taking Stock

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

2018 - Taking Stock

Post by SuffolkTiger » 20 Oct 2018, 23:59

The dust is settling on another season and the heart rate has returned to normal.

It's been a beautiful autumn day so I'm feeling "glass half full" about another season where we were right in the mix.

Counting some of my RL blessings (in no particular order)....

- We finished relatively comfortably in the top 4 - despite not always firing to our potential
- Being disappointed with third...!!!!
- Despite a heart breaking GF defeat and a shocker in the opener at Saints, we didn't crumble and hide
- Our support is still the envy of most clubs (if not all)
- The addition of Wattsy & PM
- We didn't moan about our injury list - especially missing last year's MOS for most of the season
- DP continues to be a class act
- We are not Widnes or Salford or... Leeds
- I still get a tingle when I see our massed ranks at away games
- The away win at Elland Road and walking back into the city with Leeds fans who told me they envied us and bought me beer
- Staying at the Wheldale hotel twice after a home game & opening the curtains the next morning and seeing the old girl winking at me (not a euphemism) from 20 yards away (and £500 worth of stray match balls in the guttering)
- Southerners at work seeing my Cas key ring and me not having to explain it
- The emergence of Jake Trueman
- Macca not being selected for international honours despite being the best hooker around and not sulking about it
- Macca stating his case as a future Australian national coach
- We are still on an upward curve and we have a big final fairy tale in us yet
- Wellsy joining the Cas gig
- The development of the Cas Women's team
- The hopes of a new ground are still burning bright
- Generally annoying the so called "bigger clubs" by refusing to "know our place and not eat at the top table"

Overall, the last 5 seasons have been fantastic and we are in the healthiest situation on and off the field for many a long year - maybe ever. There is more to come from us and I will enjoy my winter hibernation and come back full of beans in February for another 8 months of supporting the club I love.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: 2018 - Taking Stock

Post by gateman » 21 Oct 2018, 08:17

Great post, it may be a bit upbeat for some, but for me you have got it bang on, thanks for that

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 21 Oct 2018, 09:45

Spot on apart from the ground, by any stretch of the imagination the ground is nowhere near.

Some great points there ST and add to this we had our top scorer missing for almost half a season. There is plenty in there to be enthusiastic about for 2019. Great post :clap: :clap:

usacas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by usacas » 21 Oct 2018, 10:24

Great post, reflects my sentiments entirely. Choked me up reading it! Onwards and upwards Cas.

Surreycasfan
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Surreycasfan » 21 Oct 2018, 10:39

Haha! Love it Suffolk, have the same key ring and everyone knows who the Castleford Tigers are down here too!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 21 Oct 2018, 10:51

My son and his wife travelled up from Sussex for a game last year and stayed overnight in the boot room really enjoyed it , anybody travelling to a game either cas fan or away supporter who's got the time brilliant idea especially on a Friday night if it means avoiding the m62
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 21 Oct 2018, 14:39

SuffolkTiger wrote:The dust is settling on another season and the heart rate has returned to normal.

It's been a beautiful autumn day so I'm feeling "glass half full" about another season where we were right in the mix.

Counting some of my RL blessings (in no particular order)....

- We finished relatively comfortably in the top 4 - despite not always firing to our potential
- Being disappointed with third...!!!!
- Despite a heart breaking GF defeat and a shocker in the opener at Saints, we didn't crumble and hide
- Our support is still the envy of most clubs (if not all)
- The addition of Wattsy & PM
- We didn't moan about our injury list - especially missing last year's MOS for most of the season
- DP continues to be a class act
- We are not Widnes or Salford or... Leeds
- I still get a tingle when I see our massed ranks at away games
- The away win at Elland Road and walking back into the city with Leeds fans who told me they envied us and bought me beer
- Staying at the Wheldale hotel twice after a home game & opening the curtains the next morning and seeing the old girl winking at me (not a euphemism) from 20 yards away (and £500 worth of stray match balls in the guttering)
- Southerners at work seeing my Cas key ring and me not having to explain it
- The emergence of Jake Trueman
- Macca not being selected for international honours despite being the best hooker around and not sulking about it
- Macca stating his case as a future Australian national coach
- We are still on an upward curve and we have a big final fairy tale in us yet
- Wellsy joining the Cas gig
- The development of the Cas Women's team
- The hopes of a new ground are still burning bright
- Generally annoying the so called "bigger clubs" by refusing to "know our place and not eat at the top table"

Overall, the last 5 seasons have been fantastic and we are in the healthiest situation on and off the field for many a long year - maybe ever. There is more to come from us and I will enjoy my winter hibernation and come back full of beans in February for another 8 months of supporting the club I love.
Great post mate

SWISS TONY!!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SWISS TONY!! » 21 Oct 2018, 18:09

Plus the emergence of Mitch Clark as a genuine 17 contender!

Most players nearly fit at the end of the season and with a good preseason all should be raring to go.

The club itself on the up.
The emergence of the woman's team as mentioned. Should be double headers with the first team
The start of the PDRL team. Was great to see!

Onwards and upwards
Long Live The Monkey Munch!!!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 22 Oct 2018, 09:57

Great post.

Most of the negative stuff was out of our hands or new learning situations.

We were everybody's second team until they realised we are now a leading team. I'm happy with that.