Extended marquee players

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Extended marquee players

Post by flow » 17 Jan 2019, 15:16

Dont think this is a good thing for the game. They are having a meeting to let teams have more then two marquee players . If this happens might as well do away with any cap.Will go back to a few teams dominating the game be no more small clubs challenge in for trophy's.

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Re: Extended marquee players

Post by dettoriman » 17 Jan 2019, 15:33

I feel something has to happen.

The cap either needs to steadily increase towards 3 million.

Or clubs have to be steadily allowed up to 5 marquee players.

Lots of clubs are spending up to the cap. And could spend more. We need to be attracting superstars to draw in the outside interest.
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 17 Jan 2019, 15:41

Agreed. We are spending the cap ourselves. Something has to give if we want to compete with the NRL and grow the sport.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 17 Jan 2019, 16:05

flow wrote:Dont think this is a good thing for the game. They are having a meeting to let teams have more then two marquee players . If this happens might as well do away with any cap.Will go back to a few teams dominating the game be no more small clubs challenge in for trophy's.
The same teams dominate already so what would be different?

As for small clubs not being able to compete , why do you care about Wakefield?

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 17 Jan 2019, 16:58

its obvious the clubs that have a financial backer who wants to throw his cash at the game will want the marque players rule to be relaxed , but for most of the clubs who are not as fortunate its a bad idea,

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 17 Jan 2019, 17:21

Only Warrington and Toronto could finance this in the long run.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 17 Jan 2019, 18:36

There is more than half of SL not using any marquee players as far as I am aware. Leeds have two with Warrington, Saints and Wigan only having one.

I would have thought the first thing on Rob Elstone's agenda would be to get everyone up to the salary cap (Wakey and Salford) then get every club to have at least one marquee player. It sounds to me we are trying to run before we can walk. Moving it up to three will only see dominance from Warrington, Wigan and Leeds whereas now we have realistically 6 or 7 teams that are in with a shout of Old Trafford.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 17 Jan 2019, 18:43

It’s a double edged sword for me this one. On one hand something needs to give in order for the game to compete with NRL/Union and to keep youngsters playing the game. On the other hand in could contribute to the bigger clubs getting bigger and the smaller clubs getting smaller. It all depends which side of the fence you sit I suppose. Do you want the game of Rugby League in the northern hemisphere to compete with richer sports/competitions, or are you only bothered about the short term future of your own club. I’m on the side of ‘something has to give’, be that a cap increase or an increase in marque players. We need to be able to offer more money to the players or else, before too much longer, we will struggle for players as we can’t compete as a game. If that means some smaller clubs drop down and other clubs with the finances come up then so be it I’m afraid.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 17 Jan 2019, 19:02

derbystiger wrote:It’s a double edged sword for me this one. On one hand something needs to give in order for the game to compete with NRL/Union and to keep youngsters playing the game. On the other hand in could contribute to the bigger clubs getting bigger and the smaller clubs getting smaller. It all depends which side of the fence you sit I suppose. Do you want the game of Rugby League in the northern hemisphere to compete with richer sports/competitions, or are you only bothered about the short term future of your own club. I’m on the side of ‘something has to give’, be that a cap increase or an increase in marque players. We need to be able to offer more money to the players or else, before too much longer, we will struggle for players as we can’t compete as a game. If that means some smaller clubs drop down and other clubs with the finances come up then so be it I’m afraid.
Very good post my concerns would be more teams would go bust trying to compete like bradford did .Think alot off players go to nrl for the life style so matching there wages wont stop them going any way. Rugby leaue need to get a better tv deal to compete with other codes so clubs can spend more, its a pitons what we get now compared to others, just enough to keep clubs with out big backers full time.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 18 Jan 2019, 01:51

Do you know, for once I agree with you Flow, any more leeway on the cap and/or marquee and we'll go back to 2 teams winning everything every year til everyone gets bored then they'll have to create the super duper x factor league to keep all the other fans interested.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 18 Jan 2019, 08:38

any fan of a club who are lucky to have a sugar daddy they will think the extra marquee players is a great idea no doubt their views would change if they were in the same boat as us and a large number of other clubs

Jaack

Post by Jaack » 18 Jan 2019, 14:16

Increase salary cap and add the extra marquee signing. Hopefully more "sugar daddys" buy into clubs another way to do that would be increasing pot prizes to make it a profitable for the investors/owners.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 18 Jan 2019, 14:47

The only problem with extending marquee players and giving large contracts out is, only probably Warrington and Toronto, currently would be able to do this over a sustained period of time. Wigan, Saints and Leeds and even possibly Hull FC could do it for a while, but all have other debts in stadiums etc. Warrington and Toronto have the luxury of being backed by big spenders.

The last thing we want is smaller club becoming even distant with the big boys and the bigger spenders spending it to oblivion and getting in trouble.

We need some big investors to come in to our game. Offer better prize money for tournaments. £1m for finishing 1st in the league, give credibility back to winning the hardest trophy. then £500,000 for winning the GF. That sort of money then can be used on contracts etc.

Jaack

Post by Jaack » 18 Jan 2019, 15:32

heritage1926 wrote:The last thing we want is smaller club becoming even distant with the big boys and the bigger spenders spending it to oblivion and getting in trouble.

We need some big investors to come in to our game. Offer better prize money for tournaments. £1m for finishing 1st in the league, give credibility back to winning the hardest trophy. then £500,000 for winning the GF. That sort of money then can be used on contracts etc.
100% agree. You would have to have the investors lined up beforehand to make sure it wouldn't turn into a monopoly. 6-8 investors would be more than enough to kick start.