Jon Wells.

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Jon Wells.

Post by tallguyx » 08 Mar 2019, 12:22

I admit I am not a fan of his television work and his pseudo intellectual ramblings that are designed to make him look intelligent about Rugby League like a poundshop Gary Neville.

I wrote about this on the match thread I’m sorry if people already saw it. But before the game on sky he was praising Castleford for bringing the right people in and getting rid of the wrong ones. So let me get this right was he in fact giving himself congratulations on doing a good job.

Was very strange and came across really poorly as he never admitted to being the man that does that at Cas.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Jon Wells.

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Mar 2019, 12:30

didnt here what he said i was at the game hope he wasnt patting himself on the back for the job hes doing... better be careful what i say thinking about it after the last thread i opened on him
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 08 Mar 2019, 12:55

Getting rid of the wrong ones? Isn't he saying then, that we should of kept players we got rid of? Sorry not watched it on TV.
🐯 COYF!

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 08 Mar 2019, 13:06

So are we saying he doesn't have intelligent comments to make about the game? John is not "pseudo-intelligent", he is very bright, insightful and has much credibility. Anyone who followed his journalistic work prior to his Sky days will know this.
I for one am pleased he is with our club.
His role with Sky is to comment and analyse. What would we expect him to do, present a caricature similar to Eddie Waring or Alex Murphy and make our game a laugh? If one follows any sport on Sky, the analysis of the action is designed to make it more appealing and understandable to all viewers, not just the RL stalwart, many of whom make far more ridiculous comments on these threads.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 08 Mar 2019, 13:22

I only managed to see the pre-match build-up when he made sense on the Wigan cheating stating the cap has in effect been raised slightly for all clubs to do the same as Wigan and get away with it - precedent set.

Phil 'Mr Wigan' Clarke did of course try to deflect it by saying the cap doesn't work and should be scrapped.

Don't mind his TV work but the claims of a possible Cas bias will always exist, even though he talked Cas up far more before we employed him.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 08 Mar 2019, 14:46

tigerfeat wrote:didnt here what he said i was at the game hope he wasnt patting himself on the back for the job hes doing... better be careful what i say thinking about it after the last thread i opened on him
He was really patting himself on the back. Was bizarre.

I know what you mean you aren’t allowed a different opinion now we are doing alright on the pitch.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Mar 2019, 14:54

and you get the typical pathetic call the knives are out knee jerk reaction when it was obvious all during the close season we were going in short of quality in the outside backs if thats all down to wells hes nothing to feel smug about
Vince Lombardi

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 08 Mar 2019, 15:11

tigerfeat wrote:and you get the typical pathetic call the knives are out knee jerk reaction when it was obvious all during the close season we were going in short of quality in the outside backs if thats all down to wells hes nothing to feel smug about
Be careful what u say about poor outside backs tigerfeat ,you will have the tinted glasses posy on your back . :roll:

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Mar 2019, 15:50

I couldn't care less I just call it like I see it and in my view we should be always striving to get better and never settling for anything or slapping ourselves on the back for what we've achieved since Powell arrived which without any shadow of a doubt as being a lot
Vince Lombardi

westyorkylad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westyorkylad » 08 Mar 2019, 16:01

Personally I always enjoy Wells analysis of the game and that of the players after the match, adds another dimension to see what the professionals are working on whilst playing, its at a level most of us can only dream of.

The fact he's a former Cas player and has a soft spot for us, certainly doesn't do him any harm in my eyes.

But then the world is full of haters :D

Aid
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Aid » 08 Mar 2019, 16:28

Jon Well is a very intelligent lad. His comments, thoughts and insights on the game are always worth listening to. (especially compared to Clarkes!!)

Cannot see why anyone would start a thread slagging him off.
cum on you Ford

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 08 Mar 2019, 16:31

tigerfeat wrote:and you get the typical pathetic call the knives are out knee jerk reaction when it was obvious all during the close season we were going in short of quality in the outside backs if thats all down to wells hes nothing to feel smug about
The jerking of knees seems to be the reaction to the one defeat in the five games played?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 08 Mar 2019, 16:58

Aid wrote:Jon Well is a very intelligent lad. His comments, thoughts and insights on the game are always worth listening to. (especially compared to Clarkes!!)

Cannot see why anyone would start a thread slagging him off.
Couldn’t agree more Aid. I must also add that even Phil Clarke’s post game comments about our performance last night were more reasoned and sensible than some of the trash that gets posted on here.

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 08 Mar 2019, 17:13

I took the comment that we've got the right people in and let the right ones leave that he was talking about the players

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 08 Mar 2019, 17:26

You get the sense on most current threads that some people can't wait for a blip so they can lay into certain players and executives. It's almost like they want failure to be able to say "told you so".

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Mar 2019, 17:45

I never want cas to fail anytime at anything it just makes me laugh you can post 80 odd percent positive stuff but say something that goes against the grain your accused of having knives out for people
I said after the London game we would be found out by the weakness of one of our edges if other people take the opposite view fine
Vince Lombardi

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 08 Mar 2019, 18:14

Doing a good job both for Tigers and for Sky IMO. He spoke well last night about Jake Trumen.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 08 Mar 2019, 19:05

Jon Wells’ job is to go out and recruit the players Powell wants so Powell is focused on the coaching.

If Powell doesn’t think a player is worth money he is demanding or doesn’t want to keep him, that’s also DP’s choice. Wells’ job is merely to act on that, so no he’s not praising himself. He’s praising the whole system.

From what I’ve seen he’s correct. Mata’utia was a decent signing. Watts was a great signing. Webster is on the downhill slope of his career and as much as I love him, he couldn’t go on forever. Hitchcox was a waste of a quota spot for a fringe player and freeing up a spot has allowed us to get a replacement half in pretty quickly. We could never have predicted losing 3 halves in preseason but it was a decent decision to free up a spot just in case a player come up we wanted or we needed some desperately. I also see it often on here that Powell doesn’t trust his youngsters but I believe Kieran Gill is a more than adequate replacement for Hitchcox and hasn’t let us down when he’s played. Time to trust in our kids and get them into the squad and use the money we save on building a stronger squad.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 08 Mar 2019, 19:33

I have had chance to watch the match on TV or hear Jon's comments.
He is an intelligent lad and l have not noticed his stroking his own ego.
Those with legal training tend not too.
Although l sometimes thinks there appears to be an over analysing of the game.
That possibly is because unlike many posters l never played the game.
His skill at getting players to talk through moves is very is something l enjoy
I would prefer him to be the TV voice of the sport rather than some of his colleagues or indeed the Red Hall encumbents.
He has never made a secret of his Black and Amber leaning even when we were less successful.
I find it interesting that anyone who agrees with our progress, or puts a post outlook, is accused of having glasses of a certain hue.
I know l do it's part of being a Cas fan.
We don't have any world beaters yet.
But l am also realistic.
Last night the venue and the talent on display doesn't come cheap.
So achieving what has been achieved thus far is in my opinion impressive.
Although talking of poor performance what about the bar staff last night were they members of the temperance society.
Back to Jon don't know the ins and outs of how he performs he role at Cas.
It never hurts to alternative perspectives.

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 08 Mar 2019, 19:42

I’ve always found Wells to be an irritating motormouth, the fact he is now a Cas employee doesn’t change that