Jon Wells.

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Jon Wells.

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Mar 2019, 17:45

I never want cas to fail anytime at anything it just makes me laugh you can post 80 odd percent positive stuff but say something that goes against the grain your accused of having knives out for people
I said after the London game we would be found out by the weakness of one of our edges if other people take the opposite view fine
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 08 Mar 2019, 18:14

Doing a good job both for Tigers and for Sky IMO. He spoke well last night about Jake Trumen.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 08 Mar 2019, 19:05

Jon Wells’ job is to go out and recruit the players Powell wants so Powell is focused on the coaching.

If Powell doesn’t think a player is worth money he is demanding or doesn’t want to keep him, that’s also DP’s choice. Wells’ job is merely to act on that, so no he’s not praising himself. He’s praising the whole system.

From what I’ve seen he’s correct. Mata’utia was a decent signing. Watts was a great signing. Webster is on the downhill slope of his career and as much as I love him, he couldn’t go on forever. Hitchcox was a waste of a quota spot for a fringe player and freeing up a spot has allowed us to get a replacement half in pretty quickly. We could never have predicted losing 3 halves in preseason but it was a decent decision to free up a spot just in case a player come up we wanted or we needed some desperately. I also see it often on here that Powell doesn’t trust his youngsters but I believe Kieran Gill is a more than adequate replacement for Hitchcox and hasn’t let us down when he’s played. Time to trust in our kids and get them into the squad and use the money we save on building a stronger squad.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 08 Mar 2019, 19:33

I have had chance to watch the match on TV or hear Jon's comments.
He is an intelligent lad and l have not noticed his stroking his own ego.
Those with legal training tend not too.
Although l sometimes thinks there appears to be an over analysing of the game.
That possibly is because unlike many posters l never played the game.
His skill at getting players to talk through moves is very is something l enjoy
I would prefer him to be the TV voice of the sport rather than some of his colleagues or indeed the Red Hall encumbents.
He has never made a secret of his Black and Amber leaning even when we were less successful.
I find it interesting that anyone who agrees with our progress, or puts a post outlook, is accused of having glasses of a certain hue.
I know l do it's part of being a Cas fan.
We don't have any world beaters yet.
But l am also realistic.
Last night the venue and the talent on display doesn't come cheap.
So achieving what has been achieved thus far is in my opinion impressive.
Although talking of poor performance what about the bar staff last night were they members of the temperance society.
Back to Jon don't know the ins and outs of how he performs he role at Cas.
It never hurts to alternative perspectives.

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 08 Mar 2019, 19:42

I’ve always found Wells to be an irritating motormouth, the fact he is now a Cas employee doesn’t change that

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 08 Mar 2019, 19:52

Irritating motormouth? Now there’s a thought?

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 08 Mar 2019, 19:56

Aid wrote:Jon Well is a very intelligent lad. His comments, thoughts and insights on the game are always worth listening to. (especially compared to Clarkes!!)

Cannot see why anyone would start a thread slagging him off.
:clap: :clap: :clap: totally agree

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 08 Mar 2019, 19:59

tallguyx wrote:I admit I am not a fan of his television work and his pseudo intellectual ramblings that are designed to make him look intelligent about Rugby League like a poundshop Gary Neville.

I wrote about this on the match thread I’m sorry if people already saw it. But before the game on sky he was praising Castleford for bringing the right people in and getting rid of the wrong ones. So let me get this right was he in fact giving himself congratulations on doing a good job.

Was very strange and came across really poorly as he never admitted to being the man that does that at Cas.
Think your on your own with this one.....

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Mar 2019, 20:00

casjunction wrote:I have had chance to watch the match on TV or hear Jon's comments.
He is an intelligent lad and l have not noticed his stroking his own ego.
Those with legal training tend not too.
Although l sometimes thinks there appears to be an over analysing of the game.
That possibly is because unlike many posters l never played the game.
His skill at getting players to talk through moves is very is something l enjoy
I would prefer him to be the TV voice of the sport rather than some of his colleagues or indeed the Red Hall encumbents.
He has never made a secret of his Black and Amber leaning even when we were less successful.
I find it interesting that anyone who agrees with our progress, or puts a post outlook, is accused of having glasses of a certain hue.
I know l do it's part of being a Cas fan.
We don't have any world beaters yet.
But l am also realistic.
Last night the venue and the talent on display doesn't come cheap.
So achieving what has been achieved thus far is in my opinion impressive.
Although talking of poor performance what about the bar staff last night were they members of the temperance society.
Back to Jon don't know the ins and outs of how he performs he role at Cas.
It never hurts to alternative perspectives.
Yeah some of the bar staff working on the right edge last night defiantly need upgrading
Vince Lombardi

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 09 Mar 2019, 06:51

I thought it was daft saying a cas team - 10 players should beat a Warrington team at nearly full strength if both played to there potential. Im glad carney pulled him on that i think it was clear to see that when asked who he thought was going to win he felt he couldn't say Warrington because hes employed by cas.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 09 Mar 2019, 13:14

Anyone who can’t see wellsy is the most tactically astute men In SKYS team is blind.

Fair enough, he created his own role. He created a niche.

His analysis is nothing short of fascinating and outstanding and whatever he does or does not say or do on TV or at the club he is a vital part of the operation IMO. he hears all sorts.

People should see just how advantageous it is to have such a bright guy, on Tv, in contact with the greats and gonnabes in the sport within our ranks.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to criticise the lad.

Mata’utia is more than a decent signing. He’s looked better than Hardaker this year for mine.
Audacter Et Sincere

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 12 Mar 2019, 00:00

he gave a great shout out for young jake after the game "only one player in a generation comes along that is as good as jake"
jo brand is eddie warings love child

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 12 Mar 2019, 11:49

Anybody could see Matautia was a good signing. He was a decent NRL player. Watts was a good player that became available for whatever reason, most people would’ve tried getting him.

As for the other signings/business think they have mostly come from the same agent! We let go Jake and never replaced him then got rid of another centre!!! Then gave out contract extensions to our underperforming aging captain.

I did expect a few people to stick up for him because that’s what cas folk do,but I’m reserving judgement.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Mar 2019, 12:01

We shoudnt be in the situation of being weak in a position at this point in time and i agree why not give Jake another year if we didn't want to or weren't able to bring a replacement in
The league game late on in the season at Wigan when Jake came on at half time he was our best player in the second stanza
Vince Lombardi

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 12 Mar 2019, 12:53

are we keeping back like we did last year when we brought in two top class players during the season ?? , DP and John Wells are no ones fools hopefully they are keeping their powder dry whilst a top Class player comes on the market

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 12 Mar 2019, 13:08

tigerfeat wrote:We shoudnt be in the situation of being weak in a position at this point in time and i agree why not give Jake another year if we didn't want to or weren't able to bring a replacement in
The league game late on in the season at Wigan when Jake came on at half time he was our best player in the second stanza
His body wouldn't have lasted another full season in super league
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Mar 2019, 13:41

Webster can barely play week in week out for Bradford never mind for us. I also don't think Shenton is as bad as some people make out on here.

It must be sheer luck that we're 2nd in the league with our Championship standard right edge, our left centre who's rubbish, our average scrum half, and cheap signing second rower. Not to mention our prop come loose forward who's terrible and can't break a tackle.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 12 Mar 2019, 14:00

we are doing it tough to lose last week against a full strength Warrington was not the end of the world, put the boot on the other foot if we were at full strength and they had the same injury problems as us I would put us down for a win

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 12 Mar 2019, 15:05

HuddsTigers wrote:Webster can barely play week in week out for Bradford never mind for us. I also don't think Shenton is as bad as some people make out on here.

It must be sheer luck that we're 2nd in the league with our Championship standard right edge, our left centre who's rubbish, our average scrum half, and cheap signing second rower. Not to mention our prop come loose forward who's terrible and can't break a tackle.
Its a fair post hudds but you have to agree to push for honours we needed some signIngs in certain position's . In less your happy with being a nearly team evey year.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 12 Mar 2019, 18:25

flow wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:Webster can barely play week in week out for Bradford never mind for us. I also don't think Shenton is as bad as some people make out on here.

Its a fair post hudds but you have to agree to push for honours we needed some signIngs in certain position's . In less your happy with being a nearly team evey year.
That’s the true voice of reason,
Completely agree flow.
Audacter Et Sincere