Jon Wells.

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Re: Jon Wells.

Post by the machine » 12 Mar 2019, 13:08

tigerfeat wrote:We shoudnt be in the situation of being weak in a position at this point in time and i agree why not give Jake another year if we didn't want to or weren't able to bring a replacement in
The league game late on in the season at Wigan when Jake came on at half time he was our best player in the second stanza
His body wouldn't have lasted another full season in super league
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Mar 2019, 13:41

Webster can barely play week in week out for Bradford never mind for us. I also don't think Shenton is as bad as some people make out on here.

It must be sheer luck that we're 2nd in the league with our Championship standard right edge, our left centre who's rubbish, our average scrum half, and cheap signing second rower. Not to mention our prop come loose forward who's terrible and can't break a tackle.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 12 Mar 2019, 14:00

we are doing it tough to lose last week against a full strength Warrington was not the end of the world, put the boot on the other foot if we were at full strength and they had the same injury problems as us I would put us down for a win

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 12 Mar 2019, 15:05

HuddsTigers wrote:Webster can barely play week in week out for Bradford never mind for us. I also don't think Shenton is as bad as some people make out on here.

It must be sheer luck that we're 2nd in the league with our Championship standard right edge, our left centre who's rubbish, our average scrum half, and cheap signing second rower. Not to mention our prop come loose forward who's terrible and can't break a tackle.
Its a fair post hudds but you have to agree to push for honours we needed some signIngs in certain position's . In less your happy with being a nearly team evey year.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 12 Mar 2019, 18:25

flow wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:Webster can barely play week in week out for Bradford never mind for us. I also don't think Shenton is as bad as some people make out on here.

Its a fair post hudds but you have to agree to push for honours we needed some signIngs in certain position's . In less your happy with being a nearly team evey year.
That’s the true voice of reason,
Completely agree flow.
Audacter Et Sincere

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Mar 2019, 18:38

flow wrote:

My view is that every side no matter where they are has places they can improve. For example, I think Wire could do with a decent centre, I think Wigan could do with a decent scrum half. To say that any side has a perfect squad that cannot be improved is silly - of course it can. However, we are sport that has constraints and we have to recognise that so you're going to need a squad that both has experience, reliability and that gives you good value on RoI.

Wire and Saints are marginally closer to a complete side but only through spending the marquee player allowance.

The definition of "pushing for honours" is making the playoffs/finals. We've done that pretty much every season bar 1 under Powell and we've made two finals in the process.

I think in 2020 we'll have the best chance we ever have by being able to rebalance the squad by recruiting another three quarter and offloading players we're well stocked in. We can't just get rid of players as they have a contract that we have to honour. Back when players signed deals they were done in good faith (e.g. Benny had a very good season, and I recall being at a Meet the Directors evening where there was fear he was off to Leeds until he walked in and announced he was staying for another 3 years). Everyone in the room applauded and was chuffed as punch. We have to honour those where we can, and we have a responsibility to treat players as humans with emotions, families and mortgages and not meat. Someone like Benny probably feels like rubbish he can't be on the field to help his teammates so we have to support him as a club. And you know what, it makes him feel loved, he goes away and talks positively about CTRLFC and it makes other players want to come too because they know they're going to get treated right and with respect.

So back to your original question - do we need new signings? Only if they strengthen us. Are we in a desperate situation? Undoubtedly not. Do I think people like Clare are world-class? Of course not. However, they give us honesty, good value and do their job effectively and well, which is what we need. Am I happy being a nearly team every year? Frig yes. Anything is better than being a bottom 4 relegation haunted side. Give me a nearly ran side any day, and if we can go one better, bring it on!

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 12 Mar 2019, 20:14

I take it as read.
What ever sport
What ever team
You want to support a winning team.
We all used to go down with high hopes then walked away after blaming the ref for conceding 50 points.
The salary cap works out a little over £62,000 per year.
Can get a world class player in every position for that?
I am lead to believe one player touted on the forum as a potential recruit is on excess of £100,000
You don't have to have too many of those to dilute the cash pot.
We lost in some areas by so called fine margins including an error by McShane against a full strength title contender with at least one marquee player.
Back to Wells l am pretty sure Powell is a man who is listened to at the club and has not given an indication of Wells is not the right man for the job.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 13 Mar 2019, 13:18

Wasn't Wells at the 'Meet the Directors' event last night? Perhaps someone can give us an idea of how he came across?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 13 Mar 2019, 14:13

Flat Capper wrote:Wasn't Wells at the 'Meet the Directors' event last night? Perhaps someone can give us an idea of how he came across?
Key points JW said taken from someone who was there on Twitter:

* 1 significant iron in the fire for next season
* In his year as Director of Rugby he says he's learned a lot and it's about mid to long term planning. He says to judge him a year from now
* Injuries are a result of hard training - trying to replicate games in training
* Benefits of not using marquee means no large sums invested in 1 player
* No plans to spend Gale dispensation as of yet - always pressure to spend on squad. No team has a perfect squad. DP has stated doesn't like the marquee signing, but hard for coaches to justify spending big on 1 player. Club is supportive.
* With 2nd and 3rd marquee players coming in plus Wigan getting off SC points deduction, game may as well be heading back to free for all.

There were also some comments about his job with sky/Sky involvement but there wasn't much posted around this.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Mar 2019, 14:21

That's fair enough I would imagine the iron in the fire for next season is a top centre with gale back he wouldn't have to do much else in my opinion to have a team that will win the grand final next season
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 13 Mar 2019, 15:14

HuddsTigers wrote:
Flat Capper wrote:Wasn't Wells at the 'Meet the Directors' event last night? Perhaps someone can give us an idea of how he came across?
Key points JW said taken from someone who was there on Twitter:

* 1 significant iron in the fire for next season
* In his year as Director of Rugby he says he's learned a lot and it's about mid to long term planning. He says to judge him a year from now
* Injuries are a result of hard training - trying to replicate games in training
* Benefits of not using marquee means no large sums invested in 1 player
* No plans to spend Gale dispensation as of yet - always pressure to spend on squad. No team has a perfect squad. DP has stated doesn't like the marquee signing, but hard for coaches to justify spending big on 1 player. Club is supportive.
* With 2nd and 3rd marquee players coming in plus Wigan getting off SC points deduction, game may as well be heading back to free for all.

There were also some comments about his job with sky/Sky involvement but there wasn't much posted around this.
Thanks for that Hudds, always welcome but I was more interested in his persona rather than the content.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigersbarmy » 13 Mar 2019, 15:48

One magnificent iron in fire for next season ?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Mar 2019, 15:55

Tigersbarmy wrote:One magnificent iron in fire for next season ?
Significant let's hope it's magnificent as well...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

SREGITSAC
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SREGITSAC » 13 Mar 2019, 20:00

I attended last year when it was Jon’s first week and he came across well then. I doubt he will have come across anything other than that last night, an articulate, educated and passionate guy. He’s a intelligent chap and he loves the club.

He’s been given a tough job because it was newly incepted and had little structure, this time last year he couldn’t say what his role would entail. 12 months on he’s given it some shape, delivered some signings and put a strategy in place, it’s how he executes that strategy and what that strategy delivers that will be the true test of him.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 28 Mar 2019, 10:18

are squad is looking thinner then my hair for quality off players , we need jon wells to be given the financial go ahead to find one or two players who are not just gap fullers or we will be dragged to wrong end off table . If Salford can keep finding players surely we can . wells as being giving this task we need him now to act quick not waiting till the [REMOVED] really hits the fan. 8-[

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 28 Mar 2019, 10:37

Are you the French policeman from Allo Allo? Every time I read a post of yours, which isn’t very often by the way, the French policeman springs to mind.. :-" :-" :-"

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 28 Mar 2019, 11:39

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Are you the French policeman from Allo Allo? Every time I read a post of yours, which isn’t very often by the way, the French policeman springs to mind.. :-" :-" :-"
Good moaning I was [REMOVED] by your window

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 28 Mar 2019, 11:41

Tres Amusant.
Is ze coast clear?

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 01 Apr 2019, 19:17