The Right Hand Side Debate

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Router1977
Academy Player
Academy Player

The Right Hand Side Debate

Post by Router1977 » 10 Mar 2019, 08:49

We are in desperate need to fix this up so what are our realistic options

1) Minikin move to wing and drop Clare and find a make shift centre from the following in my preferred order:
- Foster
- Mcmeeken
- Roberts
- Olly Holmes
- Edogo

Or

2) Bring in Turner to FB and move peanut to right centre with minikin on wing

3) Peanut to right centre and Rankin to FB. Then put Roberts or Aston to halfback.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Re: The Right Hand Side Debate

Post by the machine » 10 Mar 2019, 08:55

Mcmeeken being back fit is a massive boost to the right hand side for starters

Peanut is playing great rugby atm so no sense in moving him at all

If Powell has given up on minikin/Clare then I'd hazard a guess he'd go egodo/minikin rather than moving any second rower to right centre

Foster will probs be used off the bench

Oggy will take his left second row position back

Cannot rely on Robert's to contribute when hes rarely fit anymore
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 10 Mar 2019, 09:21

Roberts cant be relied upon for anything it appears. I would go with Foster for now with the long term plan to ease Egodo into right centre.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Mar 2019, 09:25

The problem we have is Clare is not good enough id have started gill over him this season and all I've seen of minikin tells me he's much better on the wing it wasn't hard to flag up we would run into difficulties with Clare and minikin playing together
As I've said before Turner I think as a big future and I would have being temted to start him at full back and Pete in the centre not that Pete isn't doing well at full back he his but obviously Powell dosnt think Turner is ready yet or prefers Pete at full-back anyway
For the next game I'm sure we will see egodo in the centre and minikin on the wing when Powell made the change at half time at wire the team looked to have a better balance egodo could be anything he will make mistakes but deserves a chance now to show what he can do
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 10 Mar 2019, 09:27

I've said above what I think Powell will do but if we're dropping Clare then we should be dropping Minikin too as he was just as guilty on Thursday night
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 10 Mar 2019, 09:27

Router1977 wrote:We are in desperate need to fix this up so what are our realistic options

1) Minikin move to wing and drop Clare and find a make shift centre from the following in my preferred order:
- Foster
- Mcmeeken
- Roberts
- Olly Holmes
- Edogo

Or

2) Bring in Turner to FB and move peanut to right centre with minikin on wing

3) Peanut to right centre and Rankin to FB. Then put Roberts or Aston to halfback.
pointless debate if we not prepared to spend gales cap salary none off the above cut it at centre for me . Only peanut but then you have same problem at fullback.

Router1977
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Router1977 » 10 Mar 2019, 09:36

So if we are all agreeing we need a new centre, then who do we go and get?

Router1977
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Router1977 » 10 Mar 2019, 09:41

Just imagine if we could of broken the bank and got Callum Watkins last year when his contract was up.......we would be a right team now.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 10 Mar 2019, 09:43

Any quality centre won't be allowed to leave now so we are probably going to have to make do until the offseason when we have Robert's salary finally freed up

Michael Jordan

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Mar 2019, 09:44

Personally I wouldn't be looking at Watkins!
But Ken Sio was available Mamo and so on anyway we have to get on with it now
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Mar 2019, 10:29

Or we could drop Minikin and play Clare and someone else in the centre? Missed that option out.

Or we could write it off as one bad game and show some trust and good management and give them both the opportunity to right the wrongs of last week. Good man management is about showing good leadership and getting the best out of people so they want to do their best for you. It’s about keeping morale up and keeping confidence high. Powell is very good at this.

He will know what’s best but I wouldn’t be surprised if he did keep faith in it, especially when the troops we are getting back aren’t in the position we need (prop) to make a comfortable switch.

If you take Clare out you have to put someone like Foster to centre, which then means you end up with two looses on the bench in O’Neill and Milner or have Egodo on the bench again, which I’d prefer senior players playing.

May have to juggle things a bit:

Mata’utia, Minikin, Foster, Shenton, Eden, Trueman, Rankin, Watts, McShane, Massey, Clarkson, Jesse, Milner

Subs: Moors, Cook, Holmes, O’Neill
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Mar 2019, 10:46

Both Clare and minikin have done a grand job for cas I just think the two playing together arnt strong enough for a team with a chance of winning the grand final
Vince Lombardi

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 10 Mar 2019, 10:56

I remember last season when Jake Webster had a shocker in defence, DP didn’t lose faith in him and Jake came back stronger than ever, so I don’t think DP will press the panic button yet.
Danny Boy

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 10 Mar 2019, 11:05

Router1977 wrote:So if we are all agreeing we need a new centre, then who do we go and get?
Be hard to get anyone at this stage apart from Inu or Gelling

We should of decide in the off season on either a quality winger or centre.

Wingers you had Sio, Mamo, Uate, Naiqama move clubs

Centres you had Morgan, LInnett, Hurell. i'm sure Watkins would of come for the right money

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 10 Mar 2019, 12:19

Danny Boy wrote:I remember last season when Jake Webster had a shocker in defence, DP didn’t lose faith in him and Jake came back stronger than ever, so I don’t think DP will press the panic button yet.
He pressed it on Thursday Danny by taking Clare off and replaced him with minikin wing egodo Center.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 10 Mar 2019, 12:33

I'm very confident we won't see a Minikin and Clare partnership. It will either be Egodo and Minikin or Foster and Minikin.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Mar 2019, 12:47

old cas lass wrote:
Danny Boy wrote:I remember last season when Jake Webster had a shocker in defence, DP didn’t lose faith in him and Jake came back stronger than ever, so I don’t think DP will press the panic button yet.
He pressed it on Thursday Danny by taking Clare off and replaced him with minikin wing egodo Center.
There was an issue down that side defensively but his only substitute option was to take off one of Clare or Minikin for Egodo. It wasn’t him panicking, just him making a change to try and shore things up. There were no other options available to him without weakening another area of the team considerably. Didn’t have enough forwards as it was.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 10 Mar 2019, 13:25

Minikin just hasn't grasped the chance for me, he as now had 5 games and done very little, he looks a shadow of the player he was back in 2017.
Maybe moving him back to wing will help him re-build his confidence and if we are not in a position to bring in a more senior centre then it is time to give Egodo a run there and see how he shapes up, the lad as never had a good run of matches at any level.

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 10 Mar 2019, 14:27

old cas lass wrote:
Not saying he won’t drop James Clare, as I think he will, but I trust in DP to make the right call.
Danny Boy

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 10 Mar 2019, 14:30

And Webster was a solid reliable player nowhere near as bad as either Minikin or Clare.

Clare is not SL level end of.

Minikin by far a better winger than centre.

Strange how we have messed around replacing someone when we knew we needed to. Cheap option players are not the key especially when there are 3 on the same flank.