Ben Roberts

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Ben Roberts

Post by old cas lass » 19 Mar 2019, 10:50

Might be some news soon.
Can’t say to much until I find out it’s 100%

Like I say ‘might’

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Ben Roberts

Post by Mucky1978 » 19 Mar 2019, 10:56

Put in rumours and tell us.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 19 Mar 2019, 10:57

Gone
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 19 Mar 2019, 11:00

jackknife wrote:Gone

Hearing released from contract.
Don’t know it’s 100% yet so don’t take it as gospel.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 19 Mar 2019, 11:05

I heard it was all sorted few weeks ago just I's dotting n T's crossing
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 19 Mar 2019, 11:20

Must have a good chunk of salary cap available now if the right player comes along.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 19 Mar 2019, 11:28

jackknife wrote:I heard it was all sorted few weeks ago just I's dotting n T's crossing
would make sense, not seen him on any of the social media stuff with the rest of the boys recently.

Hopefully this means we bring somebody in, in the position we required it most

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 19 Mar 2019, 11:54

If so, which is looking likely, then I'll be the first to say thanks for the memories Benny.

That drop goal vs Saints on the hooter will live long and he was hands down one of the better players in the league winning team. When he did play his class shone. Hope he get's one last shot at SL before retirement.

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 19 Mar 2019, 12:02

Reckon Petes brother will come in till end of season.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 19 Mar 2019, 12:05

If he has gone.
I would assume we would have to buy out his contract.
If so would this count against the salary cap?
Also if we have l can not imagine it was cheap to do so.
Therefore how much would we have to spend on someone?
If he has gone l wish him well.
On his day it's been a pleasure to watch him.
As the previous post said the one pointer at the death sent us all in raptures.
Class act shame we didn't see as much as we would like to have.
All a bit premature until we hear officially.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Mar 2019, 12:05

heritage1926 wrote:If so, which is looking likely, then I'll be the first to say thanks for the memories Benny.

That drop goal vs Saints on the hooter will live long and he was hands down one of the better players in the league winning team. When he did play his class shone. Hope he get's one last shot at SL before retirement.
Do you seriously think any super league club would be daft enough to offer him a contract ?
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 19 Mar 2019, 12:07

tigerfeat wrote:
heritage1926 wrote:If so, which is looking likely, then I'll be the first to say thanks for the memories Benny.

Do you seriously think any super league club would be daft enough to offer him a contract ?
Yes, London. Attractive proposition for both club and player. Roberts gets to see out his days in the capital and the club get a decent calibre player to help them fight relegation WHEN/IF he's back playing.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 19 Mar 2019, 12:44

heritage1926 wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:

Yes, London. Attractive proposition for both club and player. Roberts gets to see out his days in the capital and the club get a decent calibre player to help them fight relegation WHEN/IF he's back playing.

"WHEN/IF he's back playing"

There being the problem. Cant see anybody wanting to pay him a good old chunk of cash to play half a dozen times a year. Plastic pitch will be even worse for his injuries i would imagine too.

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 19 Mar 2019, 12:58

I can’t see his departure making much of a difference. He hardly plays anyway. His most memorable performance last season was arguing with Powell at saints when he was picked at full back. His contribution this season was the alleged pre season bust up.

He was a good player when fit but he wasn’t fit enough of the time for his wage.

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 19 Mar 2019, 13:05

Mucky1978 wrote:Reckon Petes brother will come in till end of season.

He hasn't played Rugby since last year.
🐯 COYF!

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 19 Mar 2019, 13:08

Hope whatever has or hasn’t happen it’s been done with integrity and honesty.

Suggests to me that whomever we have the iron in the fire for next year may well be available to bring in early.

In my opinion we could & will bring in two players and still have a very good amount of money available for a third should it materialise.

Obviously the right hand side needs surgery. We need a body there. Maybe two (hence the potential third signing eventually) for competition for places.

Minikins best rugby for us has been on the wing thus far. He might be ready to take over from Shenny in the centre one day (similar stature, style). Playing Right centre is a bit different and a bit more challenging both in D & A (arguably). I bet he played left centre at York....?

We’re crying out for a centre or winger, but we all know that. I’d bring in a top drawer centre.

Have a sneaking feeling there’s a couple of surprises before we’re done this year though in terms of signings.
Audacter Et Sincere

Burratha
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Burratha » 19 Mar 2019, 13:33

Mysterio wrote:...In my opinion we could & will bring in two players and still have a very good amount of money available for a third should it materialise...
Where's this money come from?

westyorkylad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westyorkylad » 19 Mar 2019, 13:36

Would be a strange move for a couple of reason in my humble opinion.

BR has a contract until the end of season that says he will be paid X (I am not prepared to speculate on how much it is as none of us know, but its safe to assume as one of the senior players in the squad its relatively substantial)

The only way BR or anybody in their right mind would wave goodbye to that guaranteed cash can only be one of three reasons.

1) We are paying him up in full and saying you can leave now, this would 100% count on the salary cap as its a payment to a player, so we would lose the services of BR as a player and not be any better of salary cap wise, we would however free up an overseas spot on the quota, this seems extremely unlikely to me.

2) BR has had another offer from another club and its at least as lucrative as the deal he is on for this season, or else we are paying the difference, the difference we pay would again 100% be on the salary cap as its a payment to a player, this seems the most likely scenario.

3) BR has decided he is sick of the UK and wants to return home and is prepared to waive the money he is due for the rest of this season, again this seems very unlikely to me.

For what its worth I rate BR and always have, I have seen a lot of crap Cas players over the years and BR certainly isn't one of them, dogged with injury? Yes I would say he is, but then he's by no means the first 30 something player who has had his body ruined by playing years of first grade NRL, injuries are not a players fault, end of.

I hope that BR returns from injury and is available for selection asap, but if this is the end of BR's Cas career I would like to wish him all the best, and thank him for all his efforts on the pitch for the Tigers.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 19 Mar 2019, 14:32

Roberts is out with a hamstring injury. I can't see Roberts or Cas terminating the contract early unless someone takes on his contract, which I'm doubtful anyone will.

Think this is perhaps some rumour-mongering again going around with little substance.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

greenhouse
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by greenhouse » 19 Mar 2019, 16:41

can anyone remember james evans i think we signed from bradford. he kept getting injured and decided to call it a day saying it was not fair him keep picking up his wages and always sitting in the stand.rare i know but has benny decided the same.