Timekeeper / Fergie time?

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
Herbert Latch
Academy Player
Academy Player

Timekeeper / Fergie time?

Post by Herbert Latch » 18 Sep 2017, 00:15

First time to DW stadium for me today and noticed there was no clock stating how many minutes were left, just a normal clock. First half ended at 15.56 pm and seemed to take an eternity particularly when Wigan were attacking at the end of it. However someone told me it kicked off late. Therefore checked 2nd half and it kicked of with the stadium clock at 4.10pm and ended at 5.05 pm - a total of 55 mins, it was like us playing overtime. Can recall two stoppages in the 2nd half for injuries to Milner and Burgess and another lesser one to another Wigan player, but that would have taken up 5 mins at the very most. So where did the extra 10 mins come from. The ref stopped the clock immediately a scrum was given, rather than after it was formed, which is the correct procedure but apart from that, I could see no reason why there was so much overtime.

I may be paranoic but it just appeared to me that the game was being kept going until it was impossible for Wigan to go any further.

By the way there were many fans talking about it at the end of the game, so there was not just me that noticed it.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Timekeeper / Fergie time?

Post by fords » 18 Sep 2017, 06:04

Herbert Latch wrote:First time to DW stadium for me today and noticed there was no clock stating how many minutes were left, just a normal clock. First half ended at 15.56 pm and seemed to take an eternity particularly when Wigan were attacking at the end of it. However someone told me it kicked off late. Therefore checked 2nd half and it kicked of with the stadium clock at 4.10pm and ended at 5.05 pm - a total of 55 mins, it was like us playing overtime. Can recall two stoppages in the 2nd half for injuries to Milner and Burgess and another lesser one to another Wigan player, but that would have taken up 5 mins at the very most. So where did the extra 10 mins come from. The ref stopped the clock immediately a scrum was given, rather than after it was formed, which is the correct procedure but apart from that, I could see no reason why there was so much overtime.

I may be paranoic but it just appeared to me that the game was being kept going until it was impossible for Wigan to go any further.

By the way there were many fans talking about it at the end of the game, so there was not just me that noticed it.
Most sky games go beyong 10pm nowadays. Absolutely crazy

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 18 Sep 2017, 06:24

I was sat at home following on twitter and I was talking about it.
Was told it didn't kick off until 3.07pm.
Finishing at nearly 5pm for a 3pm kick off is ridiculous.

After texting daughters she said thaler was forever stopping the clock.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 18 Sep 2017, 12:26

He was stopping play for every scrum whether they pack down or not and for each kick off. Don't know where he got the time from but it was two half's over 50 minutes and the first half around 55 minutes. Thaler still couldn't help them win.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 18 Sep 2017, 14:50

the commentators mentioned that thaler was stopping the clock well before wigan had got six players to the spot.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Herbert Latch
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Herbert Latch » 18 Sep 2017, 22:27

lurcher wrote:the commentators mentioned that thaler was stopping the clock well before wigan had got six players to the spot.
That's exactly what I thought and saw lurcher. The game finished at 5.05pm and I found out today that the exact starting time was 3.07 pm. Therefore just 2 minutes short of two hours. Sky games fair enough, but most of them don't take that long and there's countless video replays. There were no video replays here. The thing is it was like us playing extra time in a sudden death game. The last thing we wanted at this stage of the season.

Therefore it was 118 minutes long, there was exactly 15 minutes for the half time interval, as I timed it with the official clock, so the game itself lasted 103 minutes. Therefore 23 minutes extra / stoppage time. Absolutely ludicrous with no video replays.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 19 Sep 2017, 09:56

lurcher wrote:the commentators mentioned that thaler was stopping the clock well before wigan had got six players to the spot.
In the second half Olli Holmes packed down in the Wigan second row for a laugh and got pushed away by a Wigan player laughing.