Cory Aston

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Cory Aston

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 22 Oct 2017, 22:45

the machine wrote:
RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:
lurcher wrote:if he couldn't get in the fev team what chance has he at cas.
We are purely trusting Powell's eye for undeveloped talent again. He has a good track record of turning cast offs and dead wood into gold and that's the only hope we have with signings like this. I was not impressed from what I saw of Aston but I am not coach of the year with a LL medal.
The bug bear remains that we still need front row replacement and so far since end of season we only have 2 second tier half backs and a winger.
We've signed a prop in mitch Clark too
Aye I stand corrected.
All 4 are chapionship players with only Ellis with SL exp though. Will Clark get first team action you reckon?
I can't see Aston getting a sniff. Seems ludicrous seeing how Trueman played on debut.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 22 Oct 2017, 23:03

Yes, I can see him going well in pre season and forcing his way in
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Boothinho
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Boothinho » 23 Oct 2017, 07:37

We should have some faith in DP and SG. Yes we had a great season, but that does not mean that all of a sudden we have pots of cash to spend on players. We got here through his coaching of talented players that had gone under the radar, or were strong performers in the championship. If we have signed Aston, it may be on the same terms as Lo, in that he will be back on loan until we need him, if we need him. It would be lovely to sign a big name, but I'd rather we lived within our means.

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 23 Oct 2017, 09:26

Boothinho wrote:We should have some faith in DP and SG. Yes we had a great season, but that does not mean that all of a sudden we have pots of cash to spend on players. We got here through his coaching of talented players that had gone under the radar, or were strong performers in the championship. If we have signed Aston, it may be on the same terms as Lo, in that he will be back on loan until we need him, if we need him. It would be lovely to sign a big name, but I'd rather we lived within our means.
sorry but no.if we have signed aston then it makes no sense whatsoever.we have better here already.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 23 Oct 2017, 10:34

Bramley Tiger wrote:
Boothinho wrote:We should have some faith in DP and SG. Yes we had a great season, but that does not mean that all of a sudden we have pots of cash to spend on players. We got here through his coaching of talented players that had gone under the radar, or were strong performers in the championship. If we have signed Aston, it may be on the same terms as Lo, in that he will be back on loan until we need him, if we need him. It would be lovely to sign a big name, but I'd rather we lived within our means.
sorry but no.if we have signed aston then it makes no sense whatsoever.we have better here already.
Agree. Cannot see, after watching Trueman, how Aston is better.

laner
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by laner » 23 Oct 2017, 11:58

I also hope that its incorrect about the Aston signing after the addition of Ellis what encouragement does this give to Trueman and then as some have added sign him and loan him out ? as the squad is now I think we are more than covered in the halves its the prop situation that is a priority and fullback, just to add don't think Leeds would let him go to Cas unless they don't rate him also if the club wants to stay in the hunt for more honours they should be looking at better players in the most needed positions as mentioned

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 23 Oct 2017, 13:00

If by all accounts Roberts is moving to full-back then Aston merely keeps the situation the same as it was this year for Trueman.

He's a young kid who needs to be managed right. He had one good game last year and that's great but many young players have come on to the scene only to had their confidence shot to bits by being thrown in too early. It isn't an easy position - it's one that comes with a lot of pressure and responsibility.

Aston coming in would merely keep the numbers the same - Roberts replacing Hardaker, Ellis replacing Roberts, Aston replacing T. Holmes.

Trueman will either go out on loan/dual-reg where his coach tells him to rip it up against men in a tough division. Or he'll stay and play for the U19s and be in a fight with Aston to be 3rd choice (providing he signs).
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 23 Oct 2017, 14:08

I’m guessing Aston’s dad isn’t too happy with the way things are going down the rhinos and wants his old muckers to help him improve his game

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 23 Oct 2017, 14:39

HuddsTigers wrote:If by all accounts Roberts is moving to full-back then Aston merely keeps the situation the same as it was this year for Trueman.

He's a young kid who needs to be managed right. He had one good game last year and that's great but many young players have come on to the scene only to had their confidence shot to bits by being thrown in too early. It isn't an easy position - it's one that comes with a lot of pressure and responsibility.

Aston coming in would merely keep the numbers the same - Roberts replacing Hardaker, Ellis replacing Roberts, Aston replacing T. Holmes.

Trueman will either go out on loan/dual-reg where his coach tells him to rip it up against men in a tough division. Or he'll stay and play for the U19s and be in a fight with Aston to be 3rd choice (providing he signs).
it may be keeping the numbers the same but it really isn't necessary.every replacement you name is worse than the person they are replacing-why bother signing on a third choice when in bigger games powell would likely go with McShane if injuries arise.this signing adds nothing for us.

laner
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by laner » 23 Oct 2017, 15:35

TT Tiger wrote:I’m guessing Aston’s dad isn’t too happy with the way things are going down the rhinos and wants his old muckers to help him improve his game
Could be right

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 23 Oct 2017, 18:07

Bramley Tiger wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:If by all accounts Roberts is moving to full-back then Aston merely keeps the situation the same as it was this year for Trueman.

it may be keeping the numbers the same but it really isn't necessary.every replacement you name is worse than the person they are replacing-why bother signing on a third choice when in bigger games powell would likely go with McShane if injuries arise.this signing adds nothing for us.
What about if McShane is injured?

Looking back at every squad we've had, Powell has always had back-up halves. And lots of them!

2014: Dorn (Tansey was 1), Sneyd, Finn, Jamie Ellis, Ben Reynolds and even Brett Seymour was on trial
2015: Roberts, Gale, Finn, Tom Holmes
2016: Roberts, Gale, Hampshire, Tom Holmes
2017: Roberts, Gale, Chase, Tom Holmes (and Trueman came in later)
2018: Roberts, Gale, Ellis, Trueman

If Aston signs on a 1-year-deal it will provide cover and allow Trueman another year of his development. Remember he's only 18-years-old. Still has another couple of years at U19 level yet.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 23 Oct 2017, 19:03

so if ellis/gale,trueman,roberts,millington and McShane all get injured then theres a possibility he might carry the water-sounds like a waste of space to me.

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 23 Oct 2017, 19:55

Bramley Tiger wrote:so if ellis/gale,trueman,roberts,millington and McShane all get injured then theres a possibility he might carry the water-sounds like a waste of space to me.
Clearly the lad must have some ability he was highly rated at Sheffield with a number of clubs looking at him.leeds don't take players on has favours and neither do we. Tbh I've only seen him play once and that was against Leeds for fev in the cup and I thought he looked half decent. Every squad has to have some cheaper options to make sure you have enough players to complete in training. We often train 13 on 13 in training and at times you can have 7/8 players on the sidelines carrying knocks.

It may be a shock to some but there's far more to a team than the 17 that turnout on a weekend.its impossible for any club to have 35 players all earning the average super league wage. Hence the need for lads that can have potential whilst been able to go out on duel reg whilst training with us through the week.

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 23 Oct 2017, 20:06

braytontiger wrote:
Bramley Tiger wrote:so if ellis/gale,trueman,roberts,millington and McShane all get injured then theres a possibility he might carry the water-sounds like a waste of space to me.
Clearly the lad must have some ability he was highly rated at Sheffield with a number of clubs looking at him.leeds don't take players on has favours and neither do we. Tbh I've only seen him play once and that was against Leeds for fev in the cup and I thought he looked half decent. Every squad has to have some cheaper options to make sure you have enough players to complete in training. We often train 13 on 13 in training and at times you can have 7/8 players on the sidelines carrying knocks.

It may be a shock to some but there's far more to a team than the 17 that turnout on a weekend.its impossible for any club to have 35 players all earning the average super league wage. Hence the need for lads that can have potential whilst been able to go out on duel reg whilst training with us through the week.
I agree with part of what you say but we have better already.we have some talented youngsters who imo should be the cheaper options required.

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 23 Oct 2017, 20:22

Bramley Tiger wrote:
braytontiger wrote:

I agree with part of what you say but we have better already.we have some talented youngsters who imo should be the cheaper options required.
We do have some talented youngsters and more than a fair few are going to be part of next years first team squad but you still need Aston type players.if you like u23s the likes of Kieran Gill,Toyo Egodo,Will Maher,Brandon Douglas,Callum bustin that will spend Time between ourselves and a championship side.

Fev1983

Post by Fev1983 » 02 Nov 2017, 09:08

I thought this was a joke when I saw it,,
You really don’t want this kid,,,championship lower end scrum half at best, ,
Didn’t really do much for us so we sent him back to Leeds where they then sent him to Bradford.
Don’t know why leeds ever signed him because he ain’t got the class to be in there side and certainly not yours..

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 02 Nov 2017, 09:21

This one cant be true as we have two very promising halfs who played in the under 19s last year it would make no sense at all to me
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 02 Nov 2017, 10:37

Maybe Daryl sees him as a no.9?
I wouldn’t take anything for granted, but just because he’s a half back now, doesn’t mean if he does sign, that’s where he will finish up playing, there’s always full back too, many a half back finished up as a no1.
Danny Boy

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 04 Nov 2017, 19:22

Leeds have just announced their 2018 squad numbers, 30-odd players and Aston ain't in it.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 04 Nov 2017, 19:25

Spanishtiger wrote:Leeds have just announced their 2018 squad numbers, 30-odd players and Aston ain't in it.

Josh Walters is in it, however he is Salford bound (apparantly)