Mitch Garbutt

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Mitch Garbutt

Post by Sharlotiger » 10 Jul 2018, 18:33

tigerfeat wrote:I would defo offer him a one year deal regardless he knows way to get over try line good option to have in squad doubt he will be on big bucks
Not been overly impressed with Q so far, certainly can sniff out a try but doesn't seem to have much else to his game and can see why he as been languishing in the lower leagues all his days.
After nearly 12 months of searching for a replacement for Zak surely Wellsy can come up with some options that will suit the why Powell likes to play, we must use our quota spots wisely.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 10 Jul 2018, 18:54

Tigerade wrote:Quite a few knocking the club on here if we were to offer QLT a new deal but are failing to offer any alternative signings. Who is available for FB ?
Club officials should know what's out there.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 10 Jul 2018, 18:55

Tigerade wrote:Quite a few knocking the club on here if we were to offer QLT a new deal but are failing to offer any alternative signings. Who is available for FB ?
Brendan Elliot would have been an option

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Jul 2018, 19:01

There loads of full backs out there we've being linked with a over a dozen since last october I'm just saying since we've not signed anybody we might go with what we've got for next year...except qlt we've not signed anybody
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Jul 2018, 21:12

Sharlotiger wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:Given our lack of overseas spots available, it would be an odd move.
Don’t we have two available for 2019 to replace Garry Lo and Jy Hitchcox???
But QLT is likely to be offered a new deal and he replaced Lo.
Why on earth would we offer QLT another deal?
Why wouldn’t we?

He’s played a few games for us and scored in pretty much every one of them.

And that’s without our best team and spine out. Imagine what he could do with Gale out there.

Oh, and it’s also a player who hasn’t played in SL before, which makes it even more remarkable. He is settled and working hard for the team and clearly impressing in training too.

Age is but a number as Menzies, Westwood, Lynch have shown. He’s not a long term but he’s a great option to retain and cheap too compared to anyone we can bring across from Aus.

I’d still like another full back too but QLT may allow us to invest some money into keeping Milner and recruiting another signing elsewhere, such as wing and centre.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

lidds
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by lidds » 10 Jul 2018, 21:32

HuddsTigers wrote:
Sharlotiger wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:Given our lack of overseas spots available, it would be an odd move.
Why wouldn’t we?

And that’s without our best team and spine out. Imagine what he could do with Gale out there.

Oh, and it’s also a player who hasn’t played in SL before, which makes it even more remarkable. He is settled and working hard for the team and clearly impressing in training too.

Age is but a number as Menzies, Westwood, Lynch have shown. He’s not a long term but he’s a great option to retain and cheap too compared to anyone we can bring across from Aus.

I’d still like another full back too but QLT may allow us to invest some money into keeping Milner and recruiting another signing elsewhere, such as wing and centre.
Hudds I agree with you. Most players would take a while to get upto speed coming from the championship, but has slotted straight in. He covered so much ground at the weekend and was linking up at both sides of the pitch, like you say he has scored in almost every game and has a really good step on him. Also dealt with every high ball leeds put up at the weekend and never looked 'risky'.

Age will catch up with every player eventually but from what I have read / seen he looks after himself well, doesn't really drink, and maybe not having the high intensity of SL throughout his career may mean he has a fair bit more in the tank.

Top quality FB are a valuable commodity these days, tbh I think we were spoilt with Zak will be very unlikely we will ever get someone as good as him in the next ten years. Would rather see us stick with QLT for another season if the right signing isnt out there (I would still expect us to bring a new FB in with it been the key target all season), However no point spending way over the odds either in a fee or cap space and have it impact the rest of the team.

Some people seem to be assuming that a quality SL standard FB is just sitting in the wild on a free transfer.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 11 Jul 2018, 00:03

Zac in my opinion is one of the best natural rugby players in the world.
Yes he broke our hearts with his stupidity
However the likelihood of us recruiting someone of his caliber in the near future or possibly ever is about as likely as Shaun Wayne receiving a Nobel prize for diplomacy.
But despite some of the critics on here Daryl continues to confound us with.what he achieves with the personnel he he recruits or has at his disposal

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 11 Jul 2018, 06:19

Qlt has scored in every game hes played in for us
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 11 Jul 2018, 09:41

We were begging Luke Dorn to stay 2 years ago at a similar age. QLT is a very similar style of player.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 11 Jul 2018, 10:12

jackknife wrote:Qlt has scored in every game hes played in for us
No he hasn’t. He didn’t score in the 24-24 draw with Hull KR. Still impressive strike rate though

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 11 Jul 2018, 10:13

TT Tiger wrote:We were begging Luke Dorn to stay 2 years ago at a similar age. QLT is a very similar style of player.
Difference being Luke Dorn has many years SL experience as well as being let of our team for a number of seasons. QLT has come in mid season, into SL for the first time and, given our lofty standing, I think we should be aiming higher.

bane73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by bane73 » 11 Jul 2018, 10:42

Qlt will be 35 next year, if, people think a 35 year old is the kind of signing we are to make that is going to push us to the next level then you’re are, I’m afraid to say, very wrong.
what doesn't kill me simply makes me...stranger.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 11 Jul 2018, 11:09

To be honest, QLT has played well and doesn't look out of his depth in SL.

Yes he's coming up 35 but he is still proof positive he's good enough to be in SL just now, and yes it is a calculated risk for a 1 year extension and assess at the end of that which is most likely where it would really need some serious thought at 36 years old at that point.

He has a little deception in his game where it has led to his scores and the pace to execute these plays so I would take a risk on extending him a 1 year contract so long as it's at the right price and wage for him.

Shame we didn't go for him a number of years ago as DP would have had him trained to be rated as one of the best I think !

Sometimes it is getting the right breaks as I've seen quite a few players over the years give up where I believe they would have been really good if they had the breaks to continue.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 11 Jul 2018, 13:10

HuddsTigers wrote:
Sharlotiger wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:
Why wouldn’t we?

Simply because Q isn't good enough if we have ambitions of being a regular top 4 side. We would have been better giving young Turner more chances who also as scored a few times in the games he as played if that is how you judge a full back.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 11 Jul 2018, 13:14

Much of this really depends on our recruitment plans, which let's be fair, the club haven't really been open about to fans at the moment. It's like we've blocked out everything at the moment.

i'm not expecting us to talk about players we're after but it would be nice to have an update on how recruitment is progressing, have we got anyone over the line, are there specific positions we're looking at. It seems silly for us fans to be looking towards next season already but the reality is that some of us, myself included, are already looking towards saving for a ST for next season.

It's been quite costly for me to get to games after work on a Thursday/Friday night so it's the first time I'm considering not getting a ST and picking and choosing games. Seeing rivals fans getting excited over big name players is something I'm a bit jealous of. They don't always work out but I'd like to get excited about next season and the vision for the future now. I've always been loyal as I can but there are some people who need that extra push.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!