New signing

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
westyorkylad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: New signing

Post by westyorkylad » 27 Sep 2018, 12:16

braytontiger wrote:
westyorkylad wrote:Peter Coyne was supposed to have a pinpoint kicking game, unfortunately this proved to be tosh and his kicking in general play was crap, a truly truly awful signing but was he really worse than Rudder? Who could say lol.

(Still remember when we signed Rudder being told 200 career games in the NRL next to Andrew Johns, how can he be a bad player?)

Mitch Healey on the other hand whilst lacking pace was a genuinely good half back, and served us well from what I remember.

We have always had more joy with Kiwis than Aussies in the last 30 years at Cas, as a general rule, there have been notable exceptions both ways!

If I remember right coyne came over with a serious ankle injury and basically played injured the entire time he was here. I believe he also offered to go home but was told to play through the pain.

Always hard to judge a Aussie in there first year just off the top of my head Graham Bradley,Adrian Vowles,Grant MIllington were all average in their first season.
Being injured and playing through the pain barrier certainly effects your performance of that there is no doubt........ it doesn't however make you completely clueless and inept on a RL pitch, which is what this guy was.

In 30 + years of watching Cas he is without doubt one of the worst Aussies I have seen in a Cas shirt.

I agree lots of oversees players don't fully settle in the first year, but good grief he was appalling.

Just my opinion from watching him play, sure he's a cracking bloke and must have played good rugby somewhere, but it certainly wasn't for us, injury or not.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 27 Sep 2018, 22:29

westyorkylad wrote:
braytontiger wrote:
westyorkylad wrote:Peter Coyne was supposed to have a pinpoint kicking game, unfortunately this proved to be tosh and his kicking in general play was crap, a truly truly awful signing but was he really worse than Rudder? Who could say lol.

(Still remember when we signed Rudder being told 200 career games in the NRL next to Andrew Johns, how can he be a bad player?)

Mitch Healey on the other hand whilst lacking pace was a genuinely good half back, and served us well from what I remember.

We have always had more joy with Kiwis than Aussies in the last 30 years at Cas, as a general rule, there have been notable exceptions both ways!

If I remember right coyne came over with a serious ankle injury and basically played injured the entire time he was here. I believe he also offered to go home but was told to play through the pain.

Always hard to judge a Aussie in there first year just off the top of my head Graham Bradley,Adrian Vowles,Grant MIllington were all average in their first season.
Being injured and playing through the pain barrier certainly effects your performance of that there is no doubt........ it doesn't however make you completely clueless and inept on a RL pitch, which is what this guy was.

In 30 + years of watching Cas he is without doubt one of the worst Aussies I have seen in a Cas shirt.

I agree lots of oversees players don't fully settle in the first year, but good grief he was appalling.

Just my opinion from watching him play, sure he's a cracking bloke and must have played good rugby somewhere, but it certainly wasn't for us, injury or not.
I agree, he was horrific. Certainly the worst I’ve seen also.
His legs were almost like those of a spastic, very loose.
I remember one game he missed touch at least 3 times from penalties; I Swear. It was surreal.
I’ll say this for him though, I remember one game v Saints were he had a perfect game kicking into their in goal area. For all of his appalling displays, I noticed how he had the ball on a sixpence in terms of making it hold up/spin backwards in that one game.
Audacter Et Sincere

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 27 Sep 2018, 22:54

Unfortunately we played something like 38 games that season which doesn't give him a very good strike rate.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 27 Sep 2018, 23:46

Audacter Et Sincere

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 28 Sep 2018, 00:09

Absolutely classic Coyne that was.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 28 Sep 2018, 11:36

I knew I was right about it being at Headingley. I’ve rarely been as angry at a player and remembered it well.

He got knocked out badly later in the game too if you watch.

We played very well that day too btw. Unlucky to lose. Nelson cost us with horrific defending.
Audacter Et Sincere

westyorkylad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westyorkylad » 28 Sep 2018, 14:52

Haha remember the one where he missed touch 3 x times, 'one of the most astute kickers of a ball in the Aussie game' they said, couldn't find touch down the lane 3 times in the same game, you really couldn't have made it up :lol: