Martin Taupau

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Re: Martin Taupau

Post by mart0042 » 15 Nov 2018, 10:49

tigerfeat wrote:questions marks over taupau ...nah
Not saying he's not a great player but to be so highly rated and yet his team want him gone and no other team in the nrl wants him.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Nov 2018, 11:17

I'd be surprised if no other team in the nrl would want him but fair enough if that's the case
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 16 Nov 2018, 11:21

tigerfeat wrote:I'd be surprised if no other team in the nrl would want him but fair enough if that's the case
The back loading of contracts is killing them. I'm glad we don't do it. Taupau would be an excellent signing a la merrin, I bet hetherington is going mental. He wasn't for the marquee players at the start now he's got two!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 16 Nov 2018, 11:34

We're hamstrung or least jon wells is in that were a top four side who can't make a marquee signing or not being able to up to press
Leeds and saints got two not sure if wire got one or two
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 16 Nov 2018, 12:03

tigerfeat wrote:We're hamstrung or least jon wells is in that were a top four side who can't make a marquee signing or not being able to up to press
Warrington have got Blake Austin, apparently he's on £400k a year. Tyrone Roberts was reportedly on £350K.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 16 Nov 2018, 12:42

tigerfeat wrote:We're hamstrung or least jon wells is in that were a top four side who can't make a marquee signing or not being able to up to press
It's gutting but doesn't stop a sponsor or whoever paying his wage.

Personally, I'd like us to make money each year rather than lose it. If a marquee costs 400k, that's the profit gone but I guess you have to weigh that against the extra interest and fans you may get. I suppose that's the gamble. A torn acl in the first match and your done.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 16 Nov 2018, 13:12

mart0042 wrote:

Personally, I'd like us to make money each year rather than lose it. If a marquee costs 400k, that's the profit gone but I guess you have to weigh that against the extra interest and fans you may get. I suppose that's the gamble. A torn acl in the first match and your done.
I don't particularly think these days a big name attracts fans. My dad is in his 60's, he wouldn't have a clue who Merrin or Hurrell are, he only knew who Taupau was due to recent England v NZ games. He wouldn't go out and buy a season ticket or go to a game due to this. Think it's a younger generation who do now.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 16 Nov 2018, 13:32

mart0042 wrote:
Sponsors can’t pay player wages, make any other payments to players or give them “gifts”. Even if they are a marquee player, all their salary has to be paid by the club for salary cap purposes (which is ironic given that a proportion of their wage is exempt anyway).
Salford were deducted points for a very similar kind of breach a couple of years ago, even though the money the “sponsor” paid to the player would still have kept them under the value of the cap.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 17 Nov 2018, 16:16

nottinghamtiger wrote:
mart0042 wrote:
Sponsors can’t pay player wages, make any other payments to players or give them “gifts”. Even if they are a marquee player, all their salary has to be paid by the club for salary cap purposes (which is ironic given that a proportion of their wage is exempt anyway).
Salford were deducted points for a very similar kind of breach a couple of years ago, even though the money the “sponsor” paid to the player would still have kept them under the value of the cap.
I was under the impression that only 175k of their wage was shown in the salary cap, if the were non fed or aussie, meaning the rest could come from anywhere.

If your right, leeds paying out 400k per marquee, leave only a million for the rest of the squad. So the other 20 players on 50k?. Watkins must be on a boat load, also myler, parcell, cuthbertson, Lolohea. Let's say they are on 100k each. That's 500k to split between 16 players. 31.5k each. Then they've got ward, Sutcliffe. Walker, oledzki who have England or knights caps. They'll be on reasonable wages.

It doesn't add up.

Edit---**** if it has to be the payment by the club then the sponsor could pay 400k a year for their name in the matchday magazine. If that's what you mean.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 17 Nov 2018, 16:25

£125k isn’t it? £75k for Fed Trained/Club Trained

And salary cap is now £2m - not sure if you used that in your figures above
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 17 Nov 2018, 17:51

mart0042 wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
mart0042 wrote:
Edit---**** if it has to be the payment by the club then the sponsor could pay 400k a year for their name in the matchday magazine. If that's what you mean.
That’s exactly what I mean. As long as the money is paid by the club to the player it’s all okay. What can’t happen is sponsors paying players directly. As you say, in term of the players Leeds have signed I think £125k counts in the cap, but anything bone that has to be paid by the club.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 19 Nov 2018, 10:36

nottinghamtiger wrote:
mart0042 wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
mart0042 wrote:
That’s exactly what I mean. As long as the money is paid by the club to the player it’s all okay. What can’t happen is sponsors paying players directly. As you say, in term of the players Leeds have signed I think £125k counts in the cap, but anything bone that has to be paid by the club.
That's great. We just need to find a someone willing to pay for a top player.

Just for the record, I'd get rid of the cap. It serves no purpose now. Clubs still go under, its good management that counts. That or allow maybe 5 marquee players? You wouldn't really need more as we are not a high paying sport.