Centre

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Re: Centre

Post by mart0042 » 03 Apr 2019, 11:12

HuddsTigers wrote:I see people being critical of Craig Harrison/the club but does it not say a lot that he's got so many players on his books. Instead of looking at it negatively, I actually think it shows a couple of positive things. He has a good rapport with players, he supports them and stands by them even to the point of putting them up in his house. That matches the family friendly ethos of his club. He, as an agent, is attractive to the players so much so they switch to him and everyone is keen to promote him (people like Gale have a great rapport with him?)

Secondly, he's keen and passionate supporter of young players and especially academies. The fact that Powell has a good relationship with him also means we get a good shot of getting some young talent looking for moves that Powell can develop. Sure some may not work out but that goes with any player from any club. I know all agents say that they support young kids but very few practise what they preach.

Outside of this, how many other British-based agents can you name? Only Phil Clarke's brother through Solomona and David Howes for me. Out of his signings, we've ended up with very few let downs.

We know that Powell sees his role as a coach as someone who signs players he can develop - for him that is his coaching ethos. I don't know much about Smith as a player but I didn't know much about Foster or McMeeken when they signed other than their current clubs. Better the devil you know?
We have made the club a place where players want to be at and don't don't price themselves out of being able to come.

We need to be the forerunners of a club trying to live without foreign players. I know you'll always need the top players but would like to see home grown talent and the best overseas stars.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 03 Apr 2019, 12:55

I also like the fact we sign players with a bit of a point to prove. It incentivises them to play better and well, and makes Powell's job of getting the best out of them easier.

All his signings have either been criticised before they came or have gone stale at their clubs, or he has recruited young and up and coming players.

With big name players comes big egos and you only have to look at Salford to see how that failed. Warrington may be playing good rugby but for all the money they've splashed they still haven't won a major trophy since 2012, and only LLS in 2016.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 03 Apr 2019, 13:09

we have to add a couple of class signings tho players who will make a difference or we will fade back into the pack of teams
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

SREGITSAC
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SREGITSAC » 03 Apr 2019, 13:23

HuddsTigers wrote:I also like the fact we sign players with a bit of a point to prove. It incentivises them to play better and well, and makes Powell's job of getting the best out of them easier.

All his signings have either been criticised before they came or have gone stale at their clubs, or he has recruited young and up and coming players.

With big name players comes big egos and you only have to look at Salford to see how that failed. Warrington may be playing good rugby but for all the money they've splashed they still haven't won a major trophy since 2012, and only LLS in 2016.
And look how they went in 2017...

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 04 Apr 2019, 08:18

The centre debate is front and centre off the back of crap performance. I think we haven't clicked this season at all, that might be signings, injuries or just form.
I think this discussion goes away if we start playing well, doesn't fix the problem but it does appease the now. If we knocked off Wigan, Huddersfield and are sitting played 10, won 7 on 14 points, I would have taken that before we started, then we are in the Easter lottery!

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 04 Apr 2019, 09:56

I can see another 2 loses coming up then we're going into easter 5/10. Our attack isn't good enough its very little down the right side n as good as Trueman has been on the left the ball just doesn't flow through him like it does gale. so far this season our main attacking threat has been through the middle coming from mcshane but that has gone now for 3 weeks.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 04 Apr 2019, 10:31

HuddsTigers wrote:I see people being critical of Craig Harrison/the club but does it not say a lot that he's got so many players on his books. Instead of looking at it negatively, I actually think it shows a couple of positive things. He has a good rapport with players, he supports them and stands by them even to the point of putting them up in his house. That matches the family friendly ethos of his club. He, as an agent, is attractive to the players so much so they switch to him and everyone is keen to promote him (people like Gale have a great rapport with him?)

Secondly, he's keen and passionate supporter of young players and especially academies. The fact that Powell has a good relationship with him also means we get a good shot of getting some young talent looking for moves that Powell can develop. Sure some may not work out but that goes with any player from any club. I know all agents say that they support young kids but very few practise what they preach.

Outside of this, how many other British-based agents can you name? Only Phil Clarke's brother through Solomona and David Howes for me. Out of his signings, we've ended up with very few let downs.

We know that Powell sees his role as a coach as someone who signs players he can develop - for him that is his coaching ethos. I don't know much about Smith as a player but I didn't know much about Foster or McMeeken when they signed other than their current clubs. Better the devil you know?
I agree with this.

There’s a lot to be said for dealing with a man with integrity and Powell / Wells wouldn’t have the relationship they have with CH if he wasn’t a good man/agent.

Make no mistake, they’ll hear from other agents through him as well. He might be on the payroll. Good on him if so. Lol.

As for Andy Clark I’m a little disappointed we’d cut off our nose to spite our face in terms of not signing his players. Unless we’re being smart and CH approaches the player to swap agents ;)

There’s probably a lot more that goes on behind the scenes, I’m quite comfortable dealing with Harrison. We have a relationship with a top agent with his finger on the pulse of RL recruitment, not just his own clients & that can only be good. Better than the alternative!

The only one criticism I’d have is ‘show me the money’ strikes me as a tad annoying amongst other adjectives I can’t be bothered listing ATM. lol
Audacter Et Sincere

westyorkylad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westyorkylad » 04 Apr 2019, 12:46

mdean wrote:The centre debate is front and centre off the back of crap performance. I think we haven't clicked this season at all, that might be signings, injuries or just form.
I think this discussion goes away if we start playing well, doesn't fix the problem but it does appease the now. If we knocked off Wigan, Huddersfield and are sitting played 10, won 7 on 14 points, I would have taken that before we started, then we are in the Easter lottery!
Pretty much sums my thoughts on the matter also

Bolton-tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bolton-tiger » 04 Apr 2019, 21:40

Id like to have a player like hurrell in our team..hes carrying the leeds team week in week out.with out him leeds would be doing worse than they already are.

laner
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by laner » 04 Apr 2019, 22:15

Cas answers to that there was nobody available and they already have two class ? centres

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 05 Apr 2019, 08:02

Watkins looks absolutely lost in that current Leeds team. Looks like he could do with a new challenge perhaps?!

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 05 Apr 2019, 08:35

heritage1926 wrote:Watkins looks absolutely lost in that current Leeds team. Looks like he could do with a new challenge perhaps?!
He looks to have lost pace and confidence, I wonder if his injury has taken a bit out of him?

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 05 Apr 2019, 10:53

Bolton-tiger wrote:Id like to have a player like hurrell in our team..hes carrying the leeds team week in week out.with out him leeds would be doing worse than they already are.
If Hurrell gets injured, they are relegating fodder. He doesn't come cheap and hasn't played a full season for a while, he might just not make it to the end when they really need him.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 05 Apr 2019, 12:28

Was grabbing his knee everytime he was in s collision scoring a try,so maybe playing with a injury as it is

bane73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by bane73 » 05 Apr 2019, 14:07

Every one is praising hurrell for his attack, and, rightly so...one more thing just look how many tries are scored down his side, all our tries were, he loves attack but suspect when defending his line.
what doesn't kill me simply makes me...stranger.

bane73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by bane73 » 05 Apr 2019, 14:08

I could be wrong 3 of 4 tries against him.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 05 Apr 2019, 14:54

So he scored 4 n let in 3? id take that right now
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

bane73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by bane73 » 05 Apr 2019, 18:38

jackknife wrote:So he scored 4 n let in 3? id take that right now
Didn't help the whinos last night.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 05 Apr 2019, 21:57

bane73 wrote:
jackknife wrote:So he scored 4 n let in 3? id take that right now
Didn't help the whinos last night.
The rhino only have a centre we have everyone but a centre
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 06 Apr 2019, 08:53

I think we should of signed Morgan from sts before London took him, hes a very good defender as he proved last season in the games against us. Not the best attacking centre but would of balanced our back line up.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER