thaler

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

thaler

Post by tigerfeat » 29 Mar 2016, 09:11

once you send the decision upstairs you keep quiet and let the video ref look at the vision and come to a decision,by the way thaler youve made more than your fair share of poor decisions sat in the video box over the years ,no wonder young referees are quiting the sport and looking at other ways of making a living
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: thaler

Post by old cas lass » 29 Mar 2016, 09:40

He was virtually dictating to the video ref what to do.
If Thaler was so sure of the decision why didn't Thaler make it on the field instead of going to the VR.
I was embarrassed for him yesterday, he didn't have a clue.

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 29 Mar 2016, 12:07

I get where your coming from, but on both occasions the video ref was wrong and thaler was just trying to get the correct decision. He sent them upto video ref because he wasnt sure but he watched the replay and saw what really happened the no try clearly wasnt a knock on because he kicked it and monaghan was clearly offside. It wasnt thaler who was embarrasing it was good old thierry. IMO the ref shouldnt have to make a call about try or no try if hes going to video ref, if its not clear whether its a try or not after watching replays the benefit of doubt should go to attacking side. Also talking between thr ref and video ref happens in rugby union and the get 99% of decisions right by working together

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 29 Mar 2016, 12:16

dude wrote:I get where your coming from, but on both occasions the video ref was wrong and thaler was just trying to get the correct decision. He sent them upto video ref because he wasnt sure but he watched the replay and saw what really happened the no try clearly wasnt a knock on because he kicked it and monaghan was clearly offside. It wasnt thaler who was embarrasing it was good old thierry. IMO the ref shouldnt have to make a call about try or no try if hes going to video ref, if its not clear whether its a try or not after watching replays the benefit of doubt should go to attacking side. Also talking between thr ref and video ref happens in rugby union and the get 99% of decisions right by working together
Correct dude.
But the way Thaler came over when talking to the VR it was embarrassing you could tell Thaler was trying to prompt ha liberty on what to give.
I agree the first Monaghan try wasn't a try, and though it would be given that way. We had a bit of luck on that one.
As for Union, don't get me started 8)

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 29 Mar 2016, 12:52

Whether the decisions were right or wrong is irrelevant in the argument. The on field ref should not prejudice the outcome once he's passed on the power to decide.

By the way, isn't offside based on the position of the feet rather than the upper body? Ever the optimist, I may just be able to argue Monaghan's feet were in line with Crooks and therefore not offside. 8)
Spreading the Cas gene pool

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 29 Mar 2016, 13:48

Flat Capper wrote:Whether the decisions were right or wrong is irrelevant in the argument. The on field ref should not prejudice the outcome once he's passed on the power to decide.

By the way, isn't offside based on the position of the feet rather than the upper body? Ever the optimist, I may just be able to argue Monaghan's feet were in line with Crooks and therefore not offside. 8)
Never looked at his feet FC.
Not a fetish I have. ;)

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 29 Mar 2016, 15:00

either way i don't think it does much for the game when you can here thaler saying to the frenchman are you looking for the offside tierry..tierry its not a try ..tierry dont press that essai button..and then to todd carney dont come to me ive not a clue what hes doing
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 29 Mar 2016, 23:56

and then carney says "i know but he could cost you your job". joke or what?
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 30 Mar 2016, 01:59

As I said on another thread, totally unprofessional by Thaler particularly when he would have known that he would have been heard by the audience
Interesting that you couldn't hear him as well if at all after half time!

viva brad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by viva brad » 30 Mar 2016, 08:13

Thaler was caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. To coin an old phrase
He passed the decision up to Thiery and it then became obvious that he wasn't looking at it correctly. Thaler had to say something to try to get him to look at the right thing. Nope he shouldn't have done it but when it's blatantly obvious that Thiery didn't have a clue he was left with no choice but to try to guide him.

I know someone who worked with Thiery whilst he was refereeing over here and he said he really struggled with basic instruction and didn't understand what his touch judges were indicating or in many cases the rules of the game This was just before he went back to France so not when he was new and still learning

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of Thalers actions the Rfl need to reasses Thierys ability as his errors could give the dragons an unfair advantage or infact rob them of a win

Thaler has I believe a position within the Rfl based on ref development maybe his first hand experience may prompt either a re training or demotion of Thiery.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 30 Mar 2016, 08:20

Sorry, I think that the way that Thaler handled it in such a public way reflects badly on him and his judgement. Distancing himself from a fellow ref in such a public way is appalling. If a coach had been so critical of a ref they would be in hot water and his criticism comes after he had referred the matter up because he was unsure himself.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 30 Mar 2016, 12:37

Hearing he's got a championship game this weekend :shock: :D

homeandaway
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by homeandaway » 30 Mar 2016, 12:47

old cas lass wrote:Hearing he's got a championship game this weekend :shock: :D
Yes he has .he's on the naughty step for a week .

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 30 Mar 2016, 15:58

Yep - reffing Bulls Vs Eagles this weekend.

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_214 ... tures.html?

Simon1967
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Simon1967 » 30 Mar 2016, 22:07

viva brad wrote:Thaler was caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. To coin an old phrase
He passed the decision up to Thiery and it then became obvious that he wasn't looking at it correctly. Thaler had to say something to try to get him to look at the right thing. Nope he shouldn't have done it but when it's blatantly obvious that Thiery didn't have a clue he was left with no choice but to try to guide him.

I know someone who worked with Thiery whilst he was refereeing over here and he said he really struggled with basic instruction and didn't understand what his touch judges were indicating or in many cases the rules of the game This was just before he went back to France so not when he was new and still learning

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of Thalers actions the Rfl need to reasses Thierys ability as his errors could give the dragons an unfair advantage or infact rob them of a win

Thaler has I believe a position within the Rfl based on ref development maybe his first hand experience may prompt either a re training or demotion of Thiery.
If these decisions had been against Cas we would all have been up in arms (shudds at home last year) and saying even Thaler knew it was/was not a try. He should not be criticised for telling the truth. Refreshing change I think. Demoting the top ref in the league would not happen in NRL or any other major sport.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 30 Mar 2016, 23:00

Of course it would if they openly and publicly criticised a fellow official in that way

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 30 Mar 2016, 23:07

Simon1967 wrote:If these decisions had been against Cas we would all have been up in arms (shudds at home last year) and saying even Thaler knew it was/was not a try. He should not be criticised for telling the truth. Refreshing change I think. Demoting the top ref in the league would not happen in NRL or any other major sport.
I mean apart from the NRL stand down officials on a regular basis ESPECIALLY when they break the laws of the game!

Thaler broke the rules twice AND had a poor performance to boot - he got rightly demoted.

Simon1967
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Simon1967 » 30 Mar 2016, 23:15

Tamworth Tiger wrote:Of course it would if they openly and publicly criticised a fellow official in that way
The guy deserved criticising. Everybody else understood the rules, apart from the man making the decision. Absolute joke.

Simon1967
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Simon1967 » 30 Mar 2016, 23:18

TheSheriff wrote:
Simon1967 wrote:If these decisions had been against Cas we would all have been up in arms (shudds at home last year) and saying even Thaler knew it was/was not a try. He should not be criticised for telling the truth. Refreshing change I think. Demoting the top ref in the league would not happen in NRL or any other major sport.
I mean apart from the NRL stand down officials on a regular basis ESPECIALLY when they break the laws of the game!

Thaler broke the rules twice AND had a poor performance to boot - he got rightly demoted.
His biggest error in that game was trusting that buffoon to make the correct decision.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 30 Mar 2016, 23:45

Simon1967 wrote:
Tamworth Tiger wrote:Of course it would if they openly and publicly criticised a fellow official in that way
The guy deserved criticising. Everybody else understood the rules, apart from the man making the decision. Absolute joke.
You're missing the point. If it's OK to criticise poor refs then coaches wouldn't get fined for doing it . They all do it . Thaler's own failure to use the video ref in 2014 when Saints knocked on in the last move of the match cost us top spot.
It's not about Thierry's incompetence, which needs dealing with, it's Thaler's unprofessional reaction. He was well out of order.