Super League clubs relocating?

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Super League clubs relocating?

Post by duke street 10 » 06 Mar 2017, 13:36

According to the League Express it sounds like the RFL would be open to existing clubs relocating the non-heartland areas,with the likes of Newcastle,Bristol & Coventry monitoring the situation.

Should we be concerned about this?. One obvious club i guess would be Salford...poor crowds,high rent at the A.J,pressure from Shale S****s and in a football hot bed area.

Could another club closer to home be considered?...given their beef with the local council? 8-[

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Super League clubs relocating?

Post by tallguyx » 06 Mar 2017, 14:02

duke street 10 wrote:According to the League Express it sounds like the RFL would be open to existing clubs relocating the non-heartland areas,with the likes of Newcastle,Bristol & Coventry monitoring the situation.

Should we be concerned about this?. One obvious club i guess would be Salford...poor crowds,high rent at the A.J,pressure from Shale S****s and in a football hot bed area.

Could another club closer to home be considered?...given their beef with the local council? 8-[
The wasps owner tried buying the Bulls didn't he?,Wakey would move at the drop of a hat if the price was right.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 06 Mar 2017, 15:06

Must be tempting for someone like Marwan at Salford or Carter at WTW.
Say somebody put a million down on the table for the WTW squad to relocate to say Newcastle. It would be a no-brainer. No ground to sell, tiny supporter base in a city where no one cares about RL, no assets and on the verge of a possible move anyway out of the area. The move would be self financing.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 06 Mar 2017, 21:32

Tigerade wrote:Must be tempting for someone like Marwan at Salford or Carter at WTW.
Say somebody put a million down on the table for the WTW squad to relocate to say Newcastle. It would be a no-brainer. No ground to sell, tiny supporter base in a city where no one cares about RL, no assets and on the verge of a possible move anyway out of the area. The move would be self financing.
but neither sets of fans would be happy.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 06 Mar 2017, 21:34

It's alright. Salford fans don't turn up anyway.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Normy-Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Normy-Tiger » 07 Mar 2017, 15:35

my NFL team has just done it. Sport is a business now and if it makes sense to move on... then the owners will do it.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 08 Mar 2017, 07:53

Cant see any fans moving with there club, i cant see even the wakey die hards traveling to say Newcastle for every home game and don't think they will attract much new fans.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 08 Mar 2017, 08:12

I've seen a lot of expansion projects over the years none of which have really worked long term
The reality is that we have no profile outside the heartlands
I've lived outside them most of my working life
There isn't that much interest in Rugby in a lot of the Midlands and certainly no concept that there are two codes
If we can't hack it in Gateshead, Sheffield, London or arguably even Bradford, there's no chance in Coventry or Bristol

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 08 Mar 2017, 10:51

jackknife wrote:Cant see any fans moving with there club, i cant see even the wakey die hards traveling to say Newcastle for every home game and don't think they will attract much new fans.
Agreed Jacknife. I remember quite a few on the WTW board wouldn't even travel the short distance to Glasshoughton when it was proposed a few years ago. Must be tempting for the Mick Carter though - they aren't getting any help from the new owner of the stadium and Newmarket is dead in the water.

JINJER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JINJER » 08 Mar 2017, 12:10

You're being naughty there Tigerade, you spend time on our forums and usually post so you well know it's a pride thing, that people don't want to be tenants of Cas. End of.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 08 Mar 2017, 16:45

Fair enough Jinje - I suppose we wouldn't want it the other way round either.
Although Newmarket wouldn't have been so bad for you, I feel a move to Dewsbury will be a disaster (much like Glasshoughton probably would have) - anyway, I hope you stay in Wakie but the clock is ticking and its not far off 2 minutes to midnight.

JINJER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JINJER » 08 Mar 2017, 18:27

I'd like to post a smart answer to you Tigerade but I can't. Unless MC has a real good poker face and is confident in what he's doing all I can see is disaster.
Newmarket, dead.
Belle vue, I really can't see where the money will come from to develop BV.
Dewsbury may well work for a few seasons but as it stands wouldn't be big enough for games such as Cas, Hull, Leeds.
Sad but I sense the fat lady is clearing her throat.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 08 Mar 2017, 18:38

Belle vue, I really can't see where the money will come from to develop BV.
What is Manni's plan for Belle Vue ? If the future of the club is in a re-developed BV he is the man with the money and getting him onside is the key. If his plan for BV is housing then it is truly looking bleak Jinjer.

JINJER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JINJER » 08 Mar 2017, 18:51

I was talking to Mc shortly after Manni took over and he said that he was all for redeveloping BV, he had no plans at all for housing, he even suggested there were gonna be 3D plans out within a couple of months, that hasn't happened, now is it Manni who's washed his hands of the project due to costs? There was talk only a few months since of a small precinct with outlets, Subways etc, I'd guess that would only work in that area if there were people willing to use them. Would 12 Sunday's a year make the venture worthwhile?
Or are MC and Manni working behind the scenes, I have no idea, just hoping.

WallTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WallTiger » 08 Mar 2017, 19:24

It does seem to have gone quiet again Jinjer over the stadium and I'm sure I read somewhere Michael Carter had said a decision would be made by Easter regarding moving to Deswbury. Not sure if that timelines changed but if not then Easter's only 5 weeks away so maybe they'll be some news one way or the other soon?