Koukash

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Koukash

Post by stuey » 05 Apr 2017, 12:00

... is wanting a salary cap increase. No,No, No!!! Just because he has unlimited funds, why should he be given that advantage. The only club it would benefit is his own!!

We want an even playing field, not a field where the clubs with money buy and sign all the best players leaving the poorer clubs behind.

chesterfieldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Koukash

Post by chesterfieldtiger » 05 Apr 2017, 12:50

Correct. We've been there before aka wigan of the 80s and 90s

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by onetiger » 05 Apr 2017, 12:53

he as got the backing from 2 other clubs this they are hull and warrington -but i hope they fail and it stays as it is

cvtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: ...waiting at the gates to the promised land, that being Glasshoughton.....well near to there now.

Post by cvtiger » 05 Apr 2017, 14:21

In real terms the spending power of the clubs has gone backwards over the past few year, excepting the Marquee Player rule. Could the salary cap not be pegged to the Retails Price Index, Consumer Price Index or indeed inflation to reflect the increase costs in society?
I have been blessed with pay increases but I know others have not, I know who is happier and all I got last year was a RPI increase which was 0%. Daft I know...
‘What words of wisdom will Dennis share this time...?'

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by onetiger » 05 Apr 2017, 14:42

just been told its passed to 2.1million but starts in 2020

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 05 Apr 2017, 16:05

the way I see it is clubs who are doing well with the salary cap as it is will want it to stay.
why would you want to pay more to only achieve the same success?
its the big money clubs that are failing under the present cap that will want an increase to try and buy themselves back up the table.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 05 Apr 2017, 16:11

onetiger wrote:just been told its passed to 2.1million but starts in 2020
1.9m next year, 2m in 2019 then £2.1m in 2021. Two marquee players now allowed and some dispensations for signing players from RU.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 05 Apr 2017, 16:13

My problem with this is what context it is in.
One of the criteria for going up to £2.1M should be to run a reserve set up in my opinion.

If the objective is developing the game more broadly than just SL 1st teams, then having a full reserve grade before granting clubs the uplift should be mandatory. By doing so you enable the cash rich to benefit and protect talent from being enticed away, but equally fulfil the broader objective of protecting a better junior level playing population.

Just allowing more spend just means the small pool already over-fished is better paid, doesn't particularly develop anything beyond today.

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stuey » 05 Apr 2017, 16:43

It favours the clubs with money and penalises the poorer clubs. It should be a % of gate reciepts. That way Salford would have the lowest salary cap of all the SL clubs and ALL clubs could only spend what they earn. All the better players will gravitate to the top clubs, as they will get bigger salaries there.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 05 Apr 2017, 17:32

I don't have an issue with the small rise in the salary cap. It hasn't gone up for years and is probably fair.
However, the increase from one marquee players to two is odd, given that only one club uses the rule as it stands. When 11 out of twelve clubs currently don't have one marquee player, I don't get the rationale to raise this to two.
If teams start to use the marquee rule we are at risk, assuming we can't afford to do so. At the moment, we have some players who will be the envy of other clubs (Gale, Hardaker) who other clubs may see as the marquee players they wish to sign. Can't help but think this seems to only benefit Wigan, who at the moment are the only club to have a marquee player under contract and coincidently have George Williams coming towards the end of his current deal.
The idea of making players new to the sport and returning to the sport exempt also seems odd. Players will be able to raise their earning potential in RL by spending a season playing RU, which seems bonkers if the idea is player retention.
Last edited by nottinghamtiger on 05 Apr 2017, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 05 Apr 2017, 17:35

You shouldn't be able to run at a loss.

9/12 Super League teams currently do. Increasing the cap/adding ways to sign players at a discount is NOT financially viable and is asking for certain teams (i.e. Salford & Leigh) to be left up the creek without a paddle when the money men get bored and leave.

Unless you can run at a profit, you shouldn't be allowed for the clubs own stability to spend up to the cap or use any of the dispensations.

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 05 Apr 2017, 20:31

nottinghamtiger wrote: The idea of making players new to the sport and returning to the sport exempt also seems odd. Players will be able to raise their earning potential in RL by spending a season playing RU, which seems bonkers if the idea is player retention.
The player can't have played rugby league in the preceding 5 years.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 05 Apr 2017, 21:03

The Firm wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote: The idea of making players new to the sport and returning to the sport exempt also seems odd. Players will be able to raise their earning potential in RL by spending a season playing RU, which seems bonkers if the idea is player retention.
The player can't have played rugby league in the preceding 5 years.
Makes sense. What's the betting Saints sign Eastmond next season?

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 06 Apr 2017, 12:25

I think it's good for the game, a small rise and 2 marquee players. We are taking behind other sports and need to keep pace.

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 10 Apr 2017, 14:35

We can only keep pace if the money is there, when you look at the NRL, and RU, tv payments it makes RL look like a very poor relative. How can SL compete with the other code and NRL, when they can offer a player three times what he was getting paid for playing SL.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 11 Apr 2017, 13:27

Clubs have money, it's how they use it. If wakey spent lower on the cap they might be able to afford saving for a new ground. Let's say 500k a year. In 5 years they would have collateral to borrow from.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 12 Apr 2017, 22:17

nottinghamtiger wrote: Can't help but think this seems to only benefit Wigan, who at the moment are the only club to have a marquee player under contract and coincidently have George Williams coming towards the end of his current deal.
And less than a week later, George Williams signs as a marquee player for Wigan.
Whilst I'm pleased he is staying in SL, the only club who stood to benefit from this was Wigan.

speedy
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: @casrlfc

Post by speedy » 13 Apr 2017, 03:42

Aye watch who they bring in .... he can't perform without his team mates. I don't like this idea it's just a way of increasing the salary cap to fit what you want

Le Van
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Le Van » 13 Apr 2017, 07:00

nottinghamtiger wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote: Can't help but think this seems to only benefit Wigan, who at the moment are the only club to have a marquee player under contract and coincidently have George Williams coming towards the end of his current deal.
And less than a week later, George Williams signs as a marquee player for Wigan.
Whilst I'm pleased he is staying in SL, the only club who stood to benefit from this was Wigan.

Whilst Williams is a good player nothing really has changed at Wigan in that the quality of the squad itself hasn't actually improved.

Williams has probably just been given a whacking big pay rise to stay and given a new title of a marquee player.

It's not as if they've signed Sonny Bill to move them to the next level

Nowt to worry about here......

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 13 Apr 2017, 07:54

But they may have knocked off £50k of his salary say if he was already on 125k. Doubtful but they could have actually freed up cap space by making him marquee.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!