Re-structuring

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re-structuring

Post by stuey » 15 Jun 2017, 11:03

Talks were held yesterday to re-structure Sl.

For me

1. Get rid of magic Weekend, make it a completely seperate 9`s tournament with a seperate trophy.

2. 14 teams - 26 fixtures. Winners get the LLS.

3. Top 6 play-off for Grand Final.

4. Straight relegation for the bottom team and promotion for the Championship winners.

5. Toronto, Toulouse & London fast tracked into SL, Catalan immune from relegation. :D (only joking, but would not put it past the idiots at RL HQ.)

We could end up playing Leeds 6 times this season under the current system. 3 in the normal round of matches, 1 in the top 8, again in the top 4, and also in the Semi or Final of the Challenge Cup. There has to be a better system than that.

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Re-structuring

Post by Bramley Tiger » 15 Jun 2017, 11:48

don't mind most of that but if you scrap magic weekend I would be amazed if a nines tournament would attract the crowds required to make it worthwhile-may as well have weekend off.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 15 Jun 2017, 11:52

really don't get everyone's fascination with turning magic weekend into a nines tournament
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 15 Jun 2017, 12:18

Me neither and also if you lose that extra fixture it makes no sense the team who finishes top having played everyone twice not being Champions

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 15 Jun 2017, 12:35

scrap magic weekend, end of. why drag supporters all over the country for other peoples gain.

challenge cup over by april.
relegation for bottom team.
increase super league to 14.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 15 Jun 2017, 13:10

Definately would like to see the back of Magic in its present form and a nines tournament could be a great vehicle for promoting the game.Another way to take the game on the road would be to take the Challenge Cup quater Finals to a neutral venue such as Newcastle.
Jamie Peacock was pushing for the comp to go back to 14 teams, strange how his attitude as changed now he is at HKR after he used to be a big advocater of a strong 10 team format when he was at Leeds. I would certainly go back to the old system of 14 with top 6 playing off and keeping promotion and relegation. The problem is that the 12 already in SL will not vote to extend the league as their greed wont want to share the SKY monies to an extra 2 clubs.

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 15 Jun 2017, 13:17

Agree with a lot of what been said in here, a 14 team league, funny how Peacock has changed his stance on this, he was banging on about reducing it to 10 when he was at Leeds!
Scrap Magic weekend, or at least let fixtures reflect league table, so that top play bottom, reward the higher placed teams, no idea why a meaningless 9s is being talked of as a replacement, it will fall flat on its face!
Bottom team play top of championship for SL place.
Top 8 play off, with top 4 coming in on week 2, highest to play lowest etc.
CCup pretty much same as, the BBC seem to decide when they want it played and we really need more games on BBC to get exposure!
Try tempt Sky to put more Championship games on than the meagre amount now shown.
Danny Boy

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by onetiger » 15 Jun 2017, 13:36

stuey wrote:Talks were held yesterday to re-structure Sl.

For me

1. Get rid of magic Weekend, make it a completely seperate 9`s tournament with a seperate trophy.

2. 14 teams - 26 fixtures. Winners get the LLS.

3. Top 6 play-off for Grand Final.

4. Straight relegation for the bottom team and promotion for the Championship winners.

5. Toronto, Toulouse & London fast tracked into SL, Catalan immune from relegation. :D (only joking, but would not put it past the idiots at RL HQ.)

We could end up playing Leeds 6 times this season under the current system. 3 in the normal round of matches, 1 in the top 8, again in the top 4, and also in the Semi or Final of the Challenge Cup. There has to be a better system than that.
some good points but no no no magic must stay love the magic weekend

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 15 Jun 2017, 14:30

12 teams, 22 games, top 5 playoffs - league leaders get a bye and always play the lowest ranked remaining team.

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stuey » 15 Jun 2017, 14:54

The bad thing about the magic weekend, is that it ends up an unfair comp.

The team finishing top by 2 points may have played the bottom team three times, whilst the team finishing second may have played the third placed team three times. A change of fixtures and top would have finished second and vice-versa. The only way to get a fair and even fixture list, is everyone plays everyone else twice, anything else is unbalanced.

The concept of a weekend of rugby at a neutral venue is fine, so make it a "nines" comp.

chesterfieldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chesterfieldtiger » 15 Jun 2017, 15:10

Don't understand all this 9s talk. I like the magic weekend concept. Only way to make it fairer is to draw teams like a cup fixture then it's luck of the draw not preconceived

Bonzo
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Bonzo » 15 Jun 2017, 15:46

I don't understand the need to be restructuring things very few years. I don't see how the sport can develop when the format is constantly changing.

Whilst the current format has its flaws, they're only minor in comparison with franchising and we're seeing seasons that are far more interesting, for far more clubs, for much longer.

Rather than another round of wholesale changes, when we're only 3 years into the current system, what we have needs to be developed further, to work on the strengths and reduce the flaws.

I don't see the issue with Magic Weekend, I quite enjoy it. That said, if a Nines tournament could be as successful as the Auckland Nines then it'd be worth looking at.

If the sport is going to move forwards, there's no point in looking back at stuff that's been deemed as unsuccessful in the past.
"Mr Underwood, You are truly a master of the mysteries that are not revealed to us mere mortals."

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 15 Jun 2017, 17:30

The meeting yesterday also wasn't about restructuring as opposed to tweaking the current system too, things like when the LLS is awarded and the awful ideas of resetting points for the super 8s and having Thursday games kick off EARLIER.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 16 Jun 2017, 00:18

The r.l a joke cant think of any other sporting body who constantly change how the games run ..pick a system for the play offs promotion and relegation and for christs sake stick with it
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 16 Jun 2017, 08:47

Think you can re-title re-structuring to give it a title that more accurately reflects the RFLs motives ' Plans to fast track Toronto and Toulouse' into Super League.

Anyone who thinks otherwise are delluding themselves. Whatever 'proposals' emerge (probably a return to that awful licensing), you can be your bottom dollar that Super League includes Toronto, Toulouse and possibility even London and Bradford.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 16 Jun 2017, 10:15

If so it's a big risk unless all 4 can not only provide credible business plans but then deliver them bearing in mind the past failures of three of those

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 16 Jun 2017, 12:44

Oh good, people have turned it into a mass conspiracy now.

THEY DIDN'T TALK ABOUT RESTRUCTURING, they discussed possible tweaks to the current system which will go to vote once the season ends.

Jungle
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jungle » 16 Jun 2017, 13:58

The only things I'd change is bottom from sl down and too from championship up, then remaining 4 play off also I'd like to see a season opening game challenge cup winners vs grand final bit like charity sheild, this game could travel every year!!!

As for magic why not 1 vs 2 3vs4 etc close games........

And regarding play offs top 6 knock out system but do think LLS should be given at the end of the regular season!

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 17 Jun 2017, 01:29

Scrap the magic weekend, there is no way of making it fair. Maybe have a quarter finals weekend in the challenge cup 2 games Saturday 2 Sunday at 1 stadium all neutral so it's fair. 13 team super league then each team gets at least 1 weekend off. Promotion and relegation plus you can't sign players for next season until the end of the season to give the promoted team a chance.

I've taken things there from Football, cricket and American football. But I think it would work

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 17 Jun 2017, 09:45

How about making the season longer so we do not have the short turn arounds as we have in recent months as player.welfare should be a proirty,tired bodies more prone to injuries,hence RFL could be culpable as well as gullible.