Dave taylor to wolf pack

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
Bolton-tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Dave taylor to wolf pack

Post by Bolton-tiger » 29 Jul 2017, 20:32

Ment to have a 3 year deal worth a big sum of money..be intresting to see how they stay under the cap

TigersAllTheWay
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Dave taylor to wolf pack

Post by TigersAllTheWay » 31 Jul 2017, 09:40

As far as I am aware they have special dispensation from the salary cap. Not sure if that lasts the standard 3yrs or not.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 31 Jul 2017, 21:33

Well there's dispensation and taking the Nigel Wood!?
Two posts for the price of a lot of wonga.
Another two anomalies which make our great sport look foolish.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 31 Jul 2017, 23:39

They can spend the Super League salary cap of 1.7m, as anyone can if they have the clout to do so.

The L1 cap otherwise is £400k
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 01 Aug 2017, 08:22

Not anymore it's not.

It changed last year. It's now the same 1.7m across all 3 leagues for all clubs but realistically only 2/3 clubs in the lower divisions can spend that. It was clearly done for Toronto but in a way designed to appear 'fair' to all clubs.

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 01 Aug 2017, 13:47

It was done for Leigh, before Toronto even existed - Beaumont had a whinge about not being able to spend what he can afford so the RFL changed the rule.

Taylor was also on supposedly really small money for the Raiders so I doubt the Wolfpack will be paying over the odds, and if they are they have a 2nd marquee spot (Brierley having the first).

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 01 Aug 2017, 15:16

It was changed prior to the start of the season, coinciding with the introduction of Toronto. Believe what you want why but I would wager it was more to do with Toronto than Beaumont/Leigh who had already secured promotion when it was announced.

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 01 Aug 2017, 15:35

Tiger53 wrote:It was changed prior to the start of the season, coinciding with the introduction of Toronto. Believe what you want why but I would wager it was more to do with Toronto than Beaumont/Leigh who had already secured promotion when it was announced.
For Championship clubs (seems that's where the Wolfpack will be next season)? It changed at the end of 2015, for the 2016 season and was down to Beaumont who quite rightly pointed out the middle 8's were unfair:

https://www.rugbyam.co.uk/pages/will-an ... t-the-cha/
Previously, the wage limit for Championship sides was £1million in order to ensure the league was sustainable and that all the teams were on an even keel. Leigh's Head of Rugby, Derek Beaumont, had been lobbying rugby league bosses to up this figure and it now looks like he has got his wish.
Toronto may have asked for it to be brought down to League 1 as well for this season though if it wasn't brought in along with the Championship change. Which is fair enough, if a team can afford to spend it - let them spend it.

As you can see in the article though, it isn't a flat "you can spend the SL cap" it has to be 50% of your relevant income.

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 01 Aug 2017, 15:58

It was altered for League 1 then at the start of this year, I clearly remember remarking at the time that it was coincidental that it was happening as Toronto were being introduced and they were the only side that might possibly afford it. I know I'm getting on but I'm not senile yet.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 01 Aug 2017, 22:01

The salary cap regulations state that in League One any club can spend the finite salary cap of £1.825m

http://www.rugby-league.com/operational-rules/#p=313

For those clubs that can't afford to do so, they have to submit its Operating Budget saying how much they can afford to spend based on all factors known to them prior to 1 November.

Any club wishing to go over their Operating Budget must seek dispensation with evidence that it can meet those liabilities and that it's underwritten by a Director or Investor, and has good financial history to support this.

All in the above for League One.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!