England v PNG

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: England v PNG

Post by orrsome » 15 Nov 2017, 14:29

Ladytiger wrote:How come we all saw that the first half on sun was the best they’ve played so why does Wayne Bennett change things by putting Hodgson back in at 9 .. Roby game is far better and therefore it allows 1,6 and7 to play there natural game I just shake my head at his poor team selection
This.
It seems to me that Bennett has his (the Aussie) way of playing and reverts to it as a natural tendency even when it’s obvious to most other people that the team that played in the first half against France is the most effective way.
Basically he’s set in his ways and too old to change.
Plan A is the Aussie way and the only time he will consider anything else is if we have to chase the game.
I for one would prefer England to play the open way we did in the first half of the France game, win or lose, but I can’t see Bennett taking the same view.
In short - after we lose in the World Cup, HE HAS TO GO!!!!!!!

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 15 Nov 2017, 15:22

Tell you want, and it really annoys me.
If we lose there only one player gonna get the blame.
Just watch.

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 15 Nov 2017, 15:44

old cas lass wrote:Tell you want, and it really annoys me.
Just watch.
my dad keeps saying that Gale can't play in the big matches.i said that the difference against france was the ball supplied by roby was much better and gave Luke the room he needs.unfortunately he was not convinced and actually said he can't wait to talk to me after he fails against PNG.he's getting his little tidbits from the papers and said I better not blame hodgson.lol.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 15 Nov 2017, 16:05

Bramley Tiger wrote:
old cas lass wrote:Tell you want, and it really annoys me.
Just watch.
my dad keeps saying that Gale can't play in the big matches.i said that the difference against france was the ball supplied by roby was much better and gave Luke the room he needs.unfortunately he was not convinced and actually said he can't wait to talk to me after he fails against PNG.he's getting his little tidbits from the papers and said I better not blame hodgson.lol.

Exactly.
Hodgson is far to slow, by the time he releases the ball the defence is on top of the attacking line.
Roby doesn’t even hesitate, he picks it up and releases all in one movement.

If I was gale I’d on purpose stand an extra yard back.....that’s if hodgson passes to him.
Just to give him that bit extra time and space.
We’ll see at the weekend.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 15 Nov 2017, 18:19

Hodgson plays the Aussie game relatively well; that is the game based on the belief I'm bigger than you and you have to stop me.

Scooting from dummy half he then gets to the defensive line and (at best) gives the ball to a big forward to drive it in, drawing in 3/4 defenders. If they stop the attacker they've used up valuable energy to do so, if they don't stop him the attackers gain further ground or play the open field behind the defensive line.

This is the game that Bennett excels at as a coach, tied in with the solid defence and no mistakes approach that has seen him be one of the most successful Aussie based coaches in the games history.

Unfortunately, if they are bigger than you it fails and this is where England find themselves. They can match the forward power in attack but defensively we are still falling short, particularly when it comes to mistakes. The more you put yourself under pressure, the more likely you are to crack.

This is why I feel there's all the more reason to play to our strengths with quick ball from the dummy half and creative attacking play, pulling the defenders all over the park.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 15 Nov 2017, 18:50

Hodgson is a great hooker for a team with not very good half back because he can create gaps for forwards and get teams on the front foot but England have 2 of the best halfs in the world in gale and widdop (when selected) who can create gaps for the backs out wide but only with quick ball. Thats the difference between roby and Hodgson, roby knows when to run and when to pass.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER