Hodgson back in as is Sam burgess.
Widdop stays at full back.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: England v PNG

Post by old cas lass » 14 Nov 2017, 09:42

England side to play PNG: Widdop; McGillvary, Watkins, Bateman, Hall; Brown, Gale; Hill, Hodgson, Graham, S Burgess, Whitehead, O'Loughlin. Subs: Walmsley, T Burgess, Currie, Roby

chesterfieldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chesterfieldtiger » 14 Nov 2017, 10:07

Can't believe he still goes with hodgeson after robys performance. Speed of distribution 10 x better and roby doesn't try to win every game on his own . Back to a right sided attack then. Gale must be perplexed to say the least

SWISS TONY!!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SWISS TONY!! » 14 Nov 2017, 10:22

Still can't believe he's playing bateman instead of Percival. Against France Percival actually ran the ball in harder than bateman and although didn't get much chance always seems to be dangerous. Just goes to show how stubborn and out of contact with the English game Bennett actually is
Long Live The Monkey Munch!!!

SWISS TONY!!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SWISS TONY!! » 14 Nov 2017, 10:24

If we do well in this world cup and actually get to the final it will be in spite of Bennett and not because of him
Long Live The Monkey Munch!!!

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 14 Nov 2017, 11:14

SWISS TONY!! wrote:Still can't believe he's playing bateman instead of Percival. Against France Percival actually ran the ball in harder than bateman and although didn't get much chance always seems to be dangerous. Just goes to show how stubborn and out of contact with the English game Bennett actually is
Here here Percival will be checking to see if he is Irish for the next World Cup I’m sure.

Bolton-tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bolton-tiger » 14 Nov 2017, 11:16

Does anyone know if lo is in the png squade?would like to see how he goes on against players from super league

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 14 Nov 2017, 11:20

Yes he's starting
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Bolton-tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bolton-tiger » 14 Nov 2017, 11:31

the machine wrote:Yes he's starting

Good looking forward to see how he stands up against players from sl that hel be playin agaisnt week on week

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 14 Nov 2017, 11:41

the machine wrote:Yes he's starting
If he is passed as fit. Got a fitness test before the game.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 14 Nov 2017, 11:57

I've seen 2 squads on different forums.
One had him in the other didn't.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 14 Nov 2017, 13:30

old cas lass wrote:I've seen 2 squads on different forums.
One had him in the other didn't.
Official nrl site has the squads up and he's on that one
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 14 Nov 2017, 13:36

Really don't understand Bateman keeping his place, i bet Ryan Hall is cheering on that one.

As for Hodgson back in for Roby...really don't get how Bennett can bring somebody back in who strangle's the life out of the attack. Hodgson reminds me of that promising junior player that thinks he's better than he actually is and insists on doing everything by himself ](*,)

Ladytiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ladytiger » 14 Nov 2017, 21:18

How come we all saw that the first half on sun was the best they’ve played so why does Wayne Bennett change things by putting Hodgson back in at 9 .. Roby game is far better and therefore it allows 1,6 and7 to play there natural game I just shake my head at his poor team selection

Jazzman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jazzman » 15 Nov 2017, 13:19

Read on the Wigan board that Hodgson is very highly rated by NRL fans because he draws a lot of defenders to him to make holes. Just a shame he doesn't pass the ball when he has done it.

First half hour on Sunday was like watching Cas, high speed open rugby, everyone in his correct place and ripped the defence to shreds.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 15 Nov 2017, 14:29

Ladytiger wrote:How come we all saw that the first half on sun was the best they’ve played so why does Wayne Bennett change things by putting Hodgson back in at 9 .. Roby game is far better and therefore it allows 1,6 and7 to play there natural game I just shake my head at his poor team selection
This.
It seems to me that Bennett has his (the Aussie) way of playing and reverts to it as a natural tendency even when it’s obvious to most other people that the team that played in the first half against France is the most effective way.
Basically he’s set in his ways and too old to change.
Plan A is the Aussie way and the only time he will consider anything else is if we have to chase the game.
I for one would prefer England to play the open way we did in the first half of the France game, win or lose, but I can’t see Bennett taking the same view.
In short - after we lose in the World Cup, HE HAS TO GO!!!!!!!

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 15 Nov 2017, 15:22

Tell you want, and it really annoys me.
If we lose there only one player gonna get the blame.
Just watch.

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 15 Nov 2017, 15:44

old cas lass wrote:Tell you want, and it really annoys me.
Just watch.
my dad keeps saying that Gale can't play in the big matches.i said that the difference against france was the ball supplied by roby was much better and gave Luke the room he needs.unfortunately he was not convinced and actually said he can't wait to talk to me after he fails against PNG.he's getting his little tidbits from the papers and said I better not blame hodgson.lol.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 15 Nov 2017, 16:05

Bramley Tiger wrote:
old cas lass wrote:Tell you want, and it really annoys me.
Just watch.
my dad keeps saying that Gale can't play in the big matches.i said that the difference against france was the ball supplied by roby was much better and gave Luke the room he needs.unfortunately he was not convinced and actually said he can't wait to talk to me after he fails against PNG.he's getting his little tidbits from the papers and said I better not blame hodgson.lol.

Exactly.
Hodgson is far to slow, by the time he releases the ball the defence is on top of the attacking line.
Roby doesn’t even hesitate, he picks it up and releases all in one movement.

If I was gale I’d on purpose stand an extra yard back.....that’s if hodgson passes to him.
Just to give him that bit extra time and space.
We’ll see at the weekend.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 15 Nov 2017, 18:19

Hodgson plays the Aussie game relatively well; that is the game based on the belief I'm bigger than you and you have to stop me.

Scooting from dummy half he then gets to the defensive line and (at best) gives the ball to a big forward to drive it in, drawing in 3/4 defenders. If they stop the attacker they've used up valuable energy to do so, if they don't stop him the attackers gain further ground or play the open field behind the defensive line.

This is the game that Bennett excels at as a coach, tied in with the solid defence and no mistakes approach that has seen him be one of the most successful Aussie based coaches in the games history.

Unfortunately, if they are bigger than you it fails and this is where England find themselves. They can match the forward power in attack but defensively we are still falling short, particularly when it comes to mistakes. The more you put yourself under pressure, the more likely you are to crack.

This is why I feel there's all the more reason to play to our strengths with quick ball from the dummy half and creative attacking play, pulling the defenders all over the park.
Spreading the Cas gene pool