Post by yorky » 12 Jan 2018, 12:50

how long before we run a reserve grade?

http://www.totalrl.com/wakefield-will-i ... s-chester/

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: wakefield to run reserve grade

Post by JIN JER » 12 Jan 2018, 13:50

I'm quite proud of that, I think it's a fantastic move. I honestly believe it should be compulsory, I'm assuming the "bigger" clubs will be against it when they can loan players out to lower league clubs.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 12 Jan 2018, 17:45

Wakey have bucked the trend here.When you read Chester's interview regarding setting up a reserve grade side it makes sense for them. They have 6 or 7 players who would be in the team (and not qualify for the academy) and the rest made up from the academy.

The negatives with having a reserve grade far outweigh the positives for clubs like us and Rhino's though. Warrington and Hull FC have just recently pulled the plug on their reserves as well. Not enough fixtures, no meaningful competition, not enough teams participating. With only Wigan and now Wakey from SL involved it's a poor set-up.

I agree it should be compulsory. If the RFL relaxed their stance on the requirement of playing Catalans Academy maybe we would try it. We are forced to play this fixture (in Perpignan) every year costing us 30K and we are against it. This money saved from one academy fixture to appease the french club would go along way to having a reserve grade.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 15 Jan 2018, 15:51

Well that certainly ruffled a few feathers......

http://retro.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=611854

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Jan 2018, 16:21

Cas are doing well wakey are doing well dont know what the problem is if they want to run a reserve team good luck to them
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 16 Jan 2018, 00:34

I shouldn't worry about it, 60% of the 40 odd people who post on there don't agree with vastman anyway.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 16 Jan 2018, 11:18

I tend not to agree with the majority of Vastys posts but I've got a say in this case I agree with him, when I first read it I thought it was patronising, I've read it again and still feel the same.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 16 Jan 2018, 12:09

i dont think he does the wakey board any favours but there you go ,all clubs got fans like that i suppose
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 16 Jan 2018, 12:24

tigerfeat wrote:i dont think he does the wakey board any favours but there you go ,all clubs got fans like that i suppose
No you're right he doesn't always but I know him away from the keyboard and he's a decent guy.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 16 Jan 2018, 14:11

JIN JER wrote:when I first read it I thought it was patronising, I've read it again and still feel the same.
well JINJE i'd hate to think we would start a 2 page thread on here every time a wakey fan said something either arrogant or patronising on your board.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 16 Jan 2018, 19:44

Tigerade wrote:
JIN JER wrote:when I first read it I thought it was patronising, I've read it again and still feel the same.
well JINJE i'd hate to think we would start a 2 page thread on here every time a wakey fan said something either arrogant or patronising on your board.
And that's why I don't tend to contribute to such threads. Not my way.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 16 Jan 2018, 22:49

To be fair the original post isn't wrong. Cas and Leeds are the only teams to have dual reg agreements with top 4 championship teams. Surely a fringe player's development would be better served in the Fev or Fax first team than playing friendlies against championship reserve teams ?????

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 17 Jan 2018, 06:06

JIN JER wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:i dont think he does the wakey board any favours but there you go ,all clubs got fans like that i suppose
No you're right he doesn't always but I know him away from the keyboard and he's a decent guy.
I find that very difficult to believe Jinj and i doubt i aren't the only one that thinks that.

Clearly he's a guy who thinks his life should be better than how its turned out and has alot of hate built up inside.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 17 Jan 2018, 10:51

Spanishtiger wrote:To be fair the original post isn't wrong. Cas and Leeds are the only teams to have dual reg agreements with top 4 championship teams. Surely a fringe player's development would be better served in the Fev or Fax first team than playing friendlies against championship reserve teams ?????
Correct. According to Chris Chester - the Wakey squad has 7 fringe players who are too old for the academy but will get a good run out in the reserve grade games. Hence my remark about it been a good fit for them. Looking at our squad we have only Douglas, Gill and Ashton who fit into that category who as you say are better off playing at a higher level in first grade top-end championship games with Halifax. Wakey have a duel-reg agreement with Dewsbury but they are not going to make-up half their team with Wakey players.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 17 Jan 2018, 11:04

I find it strange that a club with the begging bowl out for a new ground and in reality owns nothing but the players contracts is going down this route voluntarily.

You can loan players out and get a fee in return playing at a higher level or you can fund a poor reserve grade competition to the time of a few thousand.

How about saving money and try to fund a ground at least in part? Put the money into bricks and mortar not dreams. Stop waiting for people to help you and help yourselves.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 17 Jan 2018, 12:23

mart0042 wrote:I find it strange that a club with the begging bowl out for a new ground and in reality owns nothing but the players contracts is going down this route voluntarily.

You can loan players out and get a fee in return playing at a higher level or you can fund a poor reserve grade competition to the time of a few thousand.

How about saving money and try to fund a ground at least in part? Put the money into bricks and mortar not dreams. Stop waiting for people to help you and help yourselves.
Dear me, cheap points scoring there, it's not about you having a pop at Trinity it's about running a reserve grade. We're building from the bottom up after years of sheet, if you begrudge us doing it the right way then that's your problem.
Ps, How about rolling out the "buying the ground back for a £1" urban myth?

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 17 Jan 2018, 12:55

I remember us not going for it because of the cost. Is wakey that flush with cash? Is not a pop, more of a reality check.

I'd love it to come back but it's either most teams or non.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 17 Jan 2018, 14:50

I'd love it to come back but it's either most teams or non.
As it stands now Wakey will play Wigan, Halifax and Keighley 3 times each. Like I said earlier - if more teams participated it would be a good way to give the players in the 19 to 23 year old bracket more game time.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 17 Jan 2018, 16:27

The thing that appeals to me ( if I understand it correctly) is that the clubs in the lower tiers won't have dozens of SL players dropping down to get game time after injury, then going back to their clubs leaving disgruntled players to fill in the gaps that's left behind. Never seems fair on the lower tier players to me.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 17 Jan 2018, 16:34

mart0042 wrote:I find it strange that a club with the begging bowl out for a new ground and in reality owns nothing but the players contracts.

So those two paragraphs aren't having a pop, really?