Wakefield start not that good

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Wakefield start not that good

Post by stuey » 06 Mar 2018, 12:04

Wakefield are "pecker a hoop" over their start. It is not that good, as all 4 teams they have beaten currently make up the bottom 4. Lets see how they do when they play some of the top sides, before we bull them up to much.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Wakefield start not that good

Post by Sharlotiger » 06 Mar 2018, 13:42

They have done what they have needed too, look defensively sound and playing with far more cohesion than we have, why knock them, let them enjoy their time at the top.

viva brad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by viva brad » 06 Mar 2018, 14:26

whilst you are correct in that they have only beaten the team that currently reside at the foot of the table they have done what they had to do and can only play what is in front of them and they have given themselves a start to build on. As we learned last year its not how you start the season its how you finish

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 06 Mar 2018, 16:03

I never worry about league tables until week 13 when everyone has played each other. Even then it's not that easy to predict the top 4. At week 13 last year Salford were 2nd, 2 points behind Cas and look where they ended up !!

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 06 Mar 2018, 17:00

Spanishtiger wrote:I never worry about league tables until week 13 when everyone has played each other. Even then it's not that easy to predict the top 4. At week 13 last year Salford were 2nd, 2 points behind Cas and look where they ended up !!
round 13 is us v wakey and I think we'll go above them. to be fair to them one of the reasons the bottom 4 are there is because wakey beat them.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

SY Tiger

Post by SY Tiger » 06 Mar 2018, 22:04

COYF always.
I never knock Wakefield and Hats off to them for beating what is put in front of them. I for one hope it continues, until they play us :D :D

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 06 Mar 2018, 23:07

Four out of four says it all doesn’t it? They can only play what’s put in front of them and in the main they have been really good so far. I also think they have plenty more in the tank and can play much better from what I’ve seen. I predict a top 4 finish this year for Trin, and I see nothing from any other team to change my mind so far. They have a huge skilful pack, clever half backs and pace to burn in the backs.
However I don’t really see them been able to build and back it up in seasons to come. They have plenty of players coming off contract who will all be demanding more money if they go well this year. Crowds of 3500 for Home matches just doesn’t cut it I’m afraid, and until they double that they can’t build for years to come. I don’t get The stay away Wakey fans at all. Good season last year playing an exciting brand of rugby and starting this year like a train but the crowd they attract is rubbish. Always seems to be an excuse with them. Too cold, wrong day, on TV, ground poor, blah blah blah. Should make for a couple of exciting Derbys this year with them anyway.

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 07 Mar 2018, 07:20

The 4 teams they played could easily make up the bottom 4
They struggled to win 2 of them

But they have done what they had to. I predicted before the season started Wakey would challenge for a top 4 spot but fade towards/in the super 8s. I like their team and their big pack is scary.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 07 Mar 2018, 10:55

It is important to win matches early as players want some security. Wakey have done what was expected for a top 8 side.

We are on par aswell, make sure if the top 8 and we can relax.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 07 Mar 2018, 13:23

I've yet to be convinced The Pussies will be a force to reckon with over the course of the full season although they are likely to feature to some degree.

For me Saints are doing what we did last year and will be the team to fear.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 08 Mar 2018, 00:39

the thing I would question is their support and being able to retain the players that chester has developed. just over 4,000 last week and they are unbeaten and 2nd in the league. the product is there so you have to question the promotion of the product. I know carter as an accountant likes to balance the books but in these days an A4 poster in the fish shop window is not enough when you compare it to what forward thinking cas are doing. come in jinj.

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 08 Mar 2018, 11:00

Wakefield has slowly built a very competitive team and have been one of my tips as a team to watch over the last 2/3 years as potential dar horses. Each yer though they seemed to have some form of injury crisis to their main players and never fulfilled the potential they had on paper.
This year they’ve started strongly and kept the nucleus of a settled squad, much like ourselves over the last few years and could definitely be looking at making the top 4 if they continue as they have done.
There will have been plenty of fans of other clubs expecting little from us over the last few seasons too, let’s not be like them and write teams off just because they’ve only beaten the bottom 4 sides etc. They’re 4/4, can’t help who the opposition are, but can keep the league points topping up. Good luck to them and let’s hope for some competitive derby games, where we take the league points obviously :).

Long live the Tigers!!!

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 08 Mar 2018, 11:33

I'm pleased with our start, as other posters on here have said they can only play what's in front of them, I'm pretty sure we'll finish in the top six, this isn't a flash in the pan, that could have been levelled at us last season but we gave a lot of the better fancied team a kicking last year. Plus we've improved our squad over the off season so why people think we'll fail (apart from the stock arguement that every other team has improved) this season is beyond me.
The attendance figures are very poor there's no arguing that but our home game against Salford was on SKY in appalling weather so the numbers for that game are hardly surprising. Huddersfield was due to be played on Friday, changed to Sunday and played in bitterly cold weather, no where near perfect. I'd guess if we'd have played Leeds, Hull, HKR even on TV the attendances would have been much higher.
In reply to Daytona, yes we have players OOC at the end of the season, at this moment in time these players Arona aside are back up players, even Kirmond is included in that.
You quote 3,500 crowds, our crowds will be much higher than that by the end of the season (a shocking drop in the results aside) I'd predict with a similar run to last season, and a fair challenge cup run will see us having an average of 6,000 speccis so don't base everything on figures of 3,500. Last seasons average was 5,600 so 3,500 is pretty fancifull.
And breath......Any more questions? :)

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 08 Mar 2018, 13:26

According to the figures I've been able to get hold of, in the 2017 regular season the average attendance at BV was 5,289 (11th of 12), highest attendance was 7,187 (11th of 12) and lowest was 4,017 (11th of 12). Salford were 12th of 12. 6 of the other 10 clubs had for their lowest attendance a figure higher than the largest at BV.

So it's probably fair to say that WT are struggling for speccies even though they're playing well.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 08 Mar 2018, 13:58

Spanishtiger wrote:According to the figures I've been able to get hold of, in the 2017 regular season the average attendance at BV was 5,289 (11th of 12), highest attendance was 7,187 (11th of 12) and lowest was 4,017 (11th of 12). Salford were 12th of 12. 6 of the other 10 clubs had for their lowest attendance a figure higher than the largest at BV.

So it's probably fair to say that WT are struggling for speccies even though they're playing well.
No ones denies our support is poor so you're actually preaching to the converted? Let's see at the end of this season, I'm confident we'll hit 6,000, slowly slowly catchy monkey as they say.

WallTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WallTiger » 08 Mar 2018, 15:16

The problem I see for Wakey is that they have assembled a very good squad over the last couple of years who are looking like competing at the top end of the table but their Chairman when interviewed is always quick to point out that they spend well below the salary cap. However, their star players and more importantly their agents will expect much improved contracts when the time comes as there will be other clubs sniffing around and without a sugar daddy even with crowds of 6k (and this figure is based on large away followings from the likes of us, Leeds, Hull going to BV) then they may struggle to keep hold of them.

Something that has happened to us regularly in recent years but hopefully is now changing.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 08 Mar 2018, 16:06

reading league express I was surprised at the interview with arona where he seems to be giving wakey a nudge as his contract is up at the end of the season. if I was MC I'd make him a priority.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 08 Mar 2018, 18:02

WallTiger wrote:The problem I see for Wakey is that they have assembled a very good squad over the last couple of years who are looking like competing at the top end of the table but their Chairman when interviewed is always quick to point out that they spend well below the salary cap. However, their star players and more importantly their agents will expect much improved contracts when the time comes as there will be other clubs sniffing around and without a sugar daddy even with crowds of 6k (and this figure is based on large away followings from the likes of us, Leeds, Hull going to BV) then they may struggle to keep hold of them.

Something that has happened to us regularly in recent years but hopefully is now changing.
We didn't last year so can't see this season being any different. MC has a poker face, he's hinted that that's it for the cap this season but CC said we almost signed Mickey Higham when it was thought Wood was gonna be out for a long stretch. Take him with a pinch of salt sometimes. ;)

PSTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by PSTiger » 08 Mar 2018, 18:33

lurcher wrote:reading league express I was surprised at the interview with arona where he seems to be giving wakey a nudge as his contract is up at the end of the season. if I was MC I'd make him a priority.
He would be a good signing for us if we could pinch him. Could be tempted with him being good friends with Jesse.

SY Tiger

Post by SY Tiger » 08 Mar 2018, 21:13

Can he play full back