Koukash and Cumbria

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Koukash and Cumbria

Post by callum_walker » 18 Mar 2018, 13:34

Did a little bit of research regarding Koukash's intentions to create a Cumbrian team. I think it seems viable, and I wouldn't mind seeing the region thrive again in RL terms: https://uk.blastingnews.com/sport/2018/ ... 41907.html

Casmania
Verified

Re: Koukash and Cumbria

Post by Casmania » 18 Mar 2018, 13:53

Moved to anything RL

MY CLUB. MY CAS

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 18 Mar 2018, 13:57

Casmania wrote:Moved to anything RL
Oh sorry I should have known!

Casmania
Verified

Post by Casmania » 18 Mar 2018, 16:10

No probs, happy posting

MY CLUB. MY CAS

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 18 Mar 2018, 17:03

Koukash loves the sound of his own voice and regularly spouts unsubstantiated drivel.

It's a shame that a hotbed of amateur RL can't sustain a team in SL, but then neither can Heavy Woollen, York, Rochdale and Oldham, and realistically Swinton and Salford.

I read your article, and another couple that I found online, and arrived at the conclusion that there are several problems with the proposal :-

Geography
Of the three semi-pro clubs in West Cumbria, Barrow is an hour and a half drive from the other two on a poor road. There's no town of any size between Whitehaven and Barrow.

Stadium
None of the three stadia would meet SL criteria. Of the three, Barrow's Craven Park is probably the best appointed. But it's an hour and a half drive from the better part of Cumbrian RL supporters. There aren't any suitable football grounds either.

Fans
Back in the days of the SL mergers saga the Cumbrians were just as adamantly opposed to the proposals as we were. I'm fairly convinced that Workington fans wouldn't watch a team in Whitehaven, or vice versa. Of course the SL team could be nomadic, but then there'd be three grounds to bring up to standard.

Strength of the amateur game
More people watch amateur RL in Cumbria than turn up at the three semi-pro clubs. Probably because of the geographical issues, isolated communities, pride in local team is very strong.

The existing clubs
I find it hard to believe that the three teams would happily roll over and each give up their best 8 or 9 players to the SL club. They're already getting second sitting in this respect, all the SL clubs have scouts in Cumbria and have been cherry-picking the best prospects for many years. It would be like asking a turkey to look forward to Christmas.

Timescale
Any new team needs time to assemble a squad and try to reach the top level. Even if they do well it's no guarantee that they'll be well supported and/or profitable. Look at Sheffield or London for example. One thing that Koukash is not noted for is patience.

Koukash himself.
Enough said really.

If the good doctor really wants to put a SL team in Cumbrir then I would suggest that he buys one of the three existing teams and puts his millions into something with history, tradition and a core support base. But doesn't take his bat and ball home when he can't get a return on his investment.

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 18 Mar 2018, 19:35

Spanishtiger wrote:Koukash loves the sound of his own voice and regularly spouts unsubstantiated drivel.

It's a shame that a hotbed of amateur RL can't sustain a team in SL, but then neither can Heavy Woollen, York, Rochdale and Oldham, and realistically Swinton and Salford.

I read your article, and another couple that I found online, and arrived at the conclusion that there are several problems with the proposal :-

Geography
Of the three semi-pro clubs in West Cumbria, Barrow is an hour and a half drive from the other two on a poor road. There's no town of any size between Whitehaven and Barrow.

Stadium
None of the three stadia would meet SL criteria. Of the three, Barrow's Craven Park is probably the best appointed. But it's an hour and a half drive from the better part of Cumbrian RL supporters. There aren't any suitable football grounds either.

Fans
Back in the days of the SL mergers saga the Cumbrians were just as adamantly opposed to the proposals as we were. I'm fairly convinced that Workington fans wouldn't watch a team in Whitehaven, or vice versa. Of course the SL team could be nomadic, but then there'd be three grounds to bring up to standard.

Strength of the amateur game
More people watch amateur RL in Cumbria than turn up at the three semi-pro clubs. Probably because of the geographical issues, isolated communities, pride in local team is very strong.

The existing clubs
I find it hard to believe that the three teams would happily roll over and each give up their best 8 or 9 players to the SL club. They're already getting second sitting in this respect, all the SL clubs have scouts in Cumbria and have been cherry-picking the best prospects for many years. It would be like asking a turkey to look forward to Christmas.

Timescale
Any new team needs time to assemble a squad and try to reach the top level. Even if they do well it's no guarantee that they'll be well supported and/or profitable. Look at Sheffield or London for example. One thing that Koukash is not noted for is patience.

Koukash himself.
Enough said really.

If the good doctor really wants to put a SL team in Cumbrir then I would suggest that he buys one of the three existing teams and puts his millions into something with history, tradition and a core support base. But doesn't take his bat and ball home when he can't get a return on his investment.
All very relevant points spanishtiger. Perhaps, it will just remain a pipedream, but, this is Koukash we're talking about.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 18 Mar 2018, 19:43

I was listening to some discussion about this the other day.

Logic says, with enough RL fans in the area, going NE and NW is a sound idea, but as said above, someone has to effectively consign themselves to life in the lowest semi-pro division and make way for the SL "franchise" to blossom.

It makes great commercial, geographical and expansion sense, but people don't watch sport for those reasons, we watch for emotional attachment.

I loved travelling up there in our sabbatical from the top flight, had great times, would love to repeat it and we have friends in the NE who we would get involved - but it needs serious money and someone who for 5-7 years is not going to get any return on investment, if sport ever gives ROI.

Marwan, I've met and I like, he tries stuff and is belligerent. Whether I always agree with his methods and his approach, of course not, but I would like to be as big of a fool as he has been in business, I wouldn't be getting up at 0400 to go to the airport to go to work in the morning!

Interesting point for discussion.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 18 Mar 2018, 21:58

I wouldn't question the doctor's business acumen, never see him catching the bus do you !
I would ask if he's suitable to head up an expansion franchise in our sport, purely on the unholy mess that Salford are in now.

On the subject of trips North, the ones that stand out for me were all in the 80s and 90s.
At Workington a 4-4 draw, the wind gusting so strongly that it blew a double cheeseburger out of my hand and into a puddle. Watching Singe score 5 at Whitehaven when Steady had his jaw smashed and the miscreant got banned for life.
Losing in the Regal at Carlisle and threatening to leave one of our passengers at Shap services if he didn't stop moaning.
Getting breathalysed three times in 5 miles on the way back from Gateshead.

Happy days !!!!

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 19 Mar 2018, 21:30

Spanishtiger wrote:I wouldn't question the doctor's business acumen, never see him catching the bus do you !
I would ask if he's suitable to head up an expansion franchise in our sport, purely on the unholy mess that Salford are in now.

On the subject of trips North, the ones that stand out for me were all in the 80s and 90s.
At Workington a 4-4 draw, the wind gusting so strongly that it blew a double cheeseburger out of my hand and into a puddle. Watching Singe score 5 at Whitehaven when Steady had his jaw smashed and the miscreant got banned for life.
Losing in the Regal at Carlisle and threatening to leave one of our passengers at Shap services if he didn't stop moaning.
Getting breathalysed three times in 5 miles on the way back from Gateshead.

Happy days !!!!

Wow, there's some good times in there isn't there spanishtiger?! Brilliant :lol:

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 20 Mar 2018, 00:36

Those were the days, my friend !!!