Wigan fans' forum in meltdown...

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Wigan fans' forum in meltdown...

Post by SuffolkTiger » 03 Jun 2018, 23:44

Well worth a scan if you are feeling a bit fed up...

Many of their fans are very unhappy to say the least and want rid of the board and the Tomkins brothers ASAP

Amongst it all is the quote ".... And we've signed a druggie..." - made me chuckle.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Wigan fans' forum in meltdown...

Post by tigerfeat » 04 Jun 2018, 08:28

I think this as just being the final straw that broke the camels back , trying to shove things under the carpet again only this time its lead to the start of a meltdown and deeper issues have surfaced
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Jun 2018, 08:55

Unfortunately too many players are still carrying on as if it’s the 1990s in terms of professionalism.
The mere fact that players are out drinking heavily (and it isn’t just Wigan players), eating in McDonalds and generally not taking the approach to lifestyle of professional athletes is years behind compared to other sports.
You simply don’t see elite athletes in this kind of state, particularly in season. Most Rl players (it seems) don’t live the life of an elite athlete. Almost every week, there are photos of players drinking together and visiting KFC. It’s a real contrast to other sports, where alcohol is more or less a no-go and nutrition is as important as on-field tactics. There’s a reason the likes of Anthony Joshua and Mo Farah don’t get in situations like the Wigan players, and that is they are living the required lifestyle to be the best they can be. We are no longer in the era of Gazza’s dentist’s chair, but still RL has a distinct ‘lad culture’ of heavy drinking and ‘going out with the boyz’. Until the clubs and players decide to up the expectations of players, we’ll continue to get problems.
There are a few players out there who a model professionals amd as a club, Leeds are streets ahead of the others in terms of how they expect their players to live (hence getting shut of Hardaker).
This time it’s Wigan. But let’s be honest, we’ve had our fair share too.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Jun 2018, 09:38

nottinghamtiger wrote:Unfortunately too many players are still carrying on as if it’s the 1990s in terms of professionalism.
The mere fact that players are out drinking heavily (and it isn’t just Wigan players), eating in McDonalds and generally not taking the approach to lifestyle of professional athletes is years behind compared to other sports.
You simply don’t see elite athletes in this kind of state, particularly in season. Most Rl players (it seems) don’t live the life of an elite athlete. Almost every week, there are photos of players drinking together and visiting KFC. It’s a real contrast to other sports, where alcohol is more or less a no-go and nutrition is as important as on-field tactics. There’s a reason the likes of Anthony Joshua and Mo Farah don’t get in situations like the Wigan players, and that is they are living the required lifestyle to be the best they can be. We are no longer in the era of Gazza’s dentist’s chair, but still RL has a distinct ‘lad culture’ of heavy drinking and ‘going out with the boyz’. Until the clubs and players decide to up the expectations of players, we’ll continue to get problems.
There are a few players out there who a model professionals amd as a club, Leeds are streets ahead of the others in terms of how they expect their players to live (hence getting shut of Hardaker).
This time it’s Wigan. But let’s be honest, we’ve had our fair share too.
Couldn’t edit my last post!
Over the last couple of seasons I think it’s clear that there is a culture of ‘laddishness’ and arrogance that has developed amongst players, both here and in the NRL. In recent years, just in the UK, we’ve had players crashing cars when they are drunk, involved in police chases, fighting at other games in the crowd, fighting in taxi ranks, trashing restaurants, fighting each other, verbally abusing women, verbally abusing drug testers, assaulting drug testers, assaulting general members of the public and a number of drug suspensions for cocaine use (and they are just the ones who age been caught and who are stupid enough to use it the day or two before a game).
Unfortunately many players are living in the ‘Men Behaving Badly’ era.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 04 Jun 2018, 09:58

I can see us getting it at cas. We have a solid group of professionals and they tend to be the leaders. They are the ones that should sort out the younger members or problems, if they can't then it's the coach and manager. Ultimately they can leave.

j don't have issues with down time for players and the odd beer or kfc as long as its a club agreed action., it makes for a stronger bond. Work hard, hit your goals then enjoy the little things. Some players are motivated by success, money and having a good life.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Jun 2018, 11:11

mart0042 wrote: don't have issues with down time for players and the odd beer or kfc as long as its a club agreed action., it makes for a stronger bond. Work hard, hit your goals then enjoy the little things. Some players are motivated by success, money and having a good life.
That’s kind of my point though. The idea of having the “odd beer or KFC” is just not on the radar of professional athletes these days, particularly in-season.
However, I do think the biggest problem is the culture of going out in big groups and getting smashed because there is no training the next day. And the issue that many of them seem to have an arrogance about them that they can do whatever they please because they are a professional RL player.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 04 Jun 2018, 11:34

nottinghamtiger wrote:
mart0042 wrote: don't have issues with down time for players and the odd beer or kfc as long as its a club agreed action., it makes for a stronger bond. Work hard, hit your goals then enjoy the little things. Some players are motivated by success, money and having a good life.
That’s kind of my point though. The idea of having the “odd beer or KFC” is just not on the radar of professional athletes these days, particularly in-season.
However, I do think the biggest problem is the culture of going out in big groups and getting smashed because there is no training the next day. And the issue that many of them seem to have an arrogance about them that they can do whatever they please because they are a professional RL player.
I think moderation is the key. Like after a win, DP gets the pizzas in. I'd think that going out in a group is beneficial as the wiser ones can advise the younger and if they do go out make it anonymous and out of the way. Cigarettes though are no no .

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Jun 2018, 11:42

mart0042 wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
I think moderation is the key. Like after a win, DP gets the pizzas in. I'd think that going out in a group is beneficial as the wiser ones can advise the younger and if they do go out make it anonymous and out of the way. Cigarettes though are no no .
That is unless your influential ones are the likes of Hardaker and Chase!
The trouble is that most of them go and get smashed in Ponte and Leeds. It’s a complete recipe for disaster.
Just worries me that in recent years we’ve seen a number of serious off-field incidents involving RL players under the influence of alcohol and worse. They aren’t drinking in moderation, they are getting absolutely legless and the result is what we’ve seen with the likes of Hardaker, Tomkins (x2), Smith, Locke, Chase, Owen, Hardaker and Bateman (to name but a few). When there are this many incidents, there is something that needs to be done in terms of bringing the players into the modern world of top-level sport.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 04 Jun 2018, 12:25

be surprised if wane not shown the exit door sometime this week...
Vince Lombardi

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 04 Jun 2018, 12:38

also on there forum
wane wanted watts and was furious when he signed for cas
some of wigan players wanting out because of hardaker signing
Vince Lombardi

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 04 Jun 2018, 14:03

I saw the video for the first time late on Saturday. however some one showed me on his phone this morning that he was sent it on Thursday so I'm wondering if wigan knew before the wire game. ratboy did seem very subdued in his after match interview.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 05 Jun 2018, 10:05

The stories Adrian vowles and Mike eagar et al are legendary of their escapades. We'd be furious now.

Things have changed but these are still physically fit people playing a contact game. It must be difficult to turn the aggression on and off. Much harder with beer in you.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 05 Jun 2018, 13:05

Firstly, I will point out that none of my comments make any attempt to defend the behavior. I'm not sure the fact they are 'professional' sportsmen makes any difference; that type of behavior is unacceptable from anyone.

However, the fact they are pro sportsman doesn't mean they cannot have downtime during the season and enjoy a drink or two. To compare them with the likes of Anthony Joshua is just farcical as Joshua pays an entourage to look after him. I am aware from Pro players I have known over the years that they certainly limit their alcohol intake over the course of a season but do not abstain completely. In moderation it will have limited effect.

Away from sport, my employer would not exactly be overjoyed if coverage of me behaving like that appeared on line and thankfully, I don't need 12ty pints to be nasty!
Spreading the Cas gene pool