Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Widnes sign Gelling

Post by HuddsTigers » 04 Jul 2018, 08:00

2 year deal from 2019
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Widnes sign Gelling

Post by fords » 04 Jul 2018, 08:12

HuddsTigers wrote:2 year deal from 2019
Why on earth would you want to go to such a p*ss poor team as that.

Bigger question, could he have replaced Webster ?

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 04 Jul 2018, 08:47

Didn't he leave Wigan to be closer to his girlfriend back in aus/nz? Seems strange that hes coming back so soon she must be annoying.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 04 Jul 2018, 09:43

jackknife wrote:Didn't he leave Wigan to be closer to his girlfriend back in aus/nz? Seems strange that hes coming back so soon she must be annoying.
I'm sure we tried to sign him a few years back. I think it's interesting that he didn't go back to Wigan he was real good for them.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Jul 2018, 10:29

jackknife wrote:Didn't he leave Wigan to be closer to his girlfriend back in aus/nz? Seems strange that hes coming back so soon she must be annoying.
His partner was seriously injured in a car accident. He needed to go back to support her during her recovery.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 04 Jul 2018, 11:38

Really like him, think he is hilarious and a character, without generally attracting the kind of attention other "characters" do like Bird or Sandow.

Would have loved him at Cas, not going to lie.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 04 Jul 2018, 12:04

are we even in for these types of players he would have being a great signing
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 04 Jul 2018, 12:41

It does make you wonder what exactly our recruitment plan is, whether we have any spending power or whether we're trying for these players.

I'm not saying Gelling is the be all and end all but he would have made a decent right centre replacement for Webster. The lack of rumours inbound is slightly concerning. I'm only hoping the club have got a few rabbits under hats.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 04 Jul 2018, 12:50

Me too ...not heard a whisper about anybody
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 04 Jul 2018, 14:15

tigerfeat wrote:Me too ...not heard a whisper about anybody
Does make you wonder, who we are looking at.

Be hopes they have something to announce and not that we have to off load some fringe players first. Only reason for this would be were paying people way too much when contracts have been renewed.

BishopTiger

Post by BishopTiger » 04 Jul 2018, 15:30

Or the other reason is now we have JW theres not as much info 'leaking out' and other clubs gazumping our signings ?

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 04 Jul 2018, 16:41

good individual player but a bit of a maverick. not sure if he would be able to our play to our structures and intricate attacking moves
jo brand is eddie warings love child

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 04 Jul 2018, 16:51

BishopTiger wrote:Or the other reason is now we have JW theres not as much info 'leaking out' and other clubs gazumping our signings ?
must be really tight lipped as there's literally nothing going about of who we might sign let alone have signed.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 04 Jul 2018, 22:02

fords wrote:
BishopTiger wrote:Or the other reason is now we have JW theres not as much info 'leaking out' and other clubs gazumping our signings ?
must be really tight lipped as there's literally nothing going about of who we might sign let alone have signed.
Good

No one really knew about watts signing before he did
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 05 Jul 2018, 09:34

the machine wrote:
fords wrote:
Good

I think we can rest assured that wellsy knows who's available and who's likely to sign or stay at their current club.

It's quite refreshing that nothings coming out into the open, who knows who we've missed out on by giving others a heads up. Getting watts was a masterstroke, he would have gone to a auction and cost us more I'm sure.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 05 Jul 2018, 10:00

mart0042 wrote:
the machine wrote:
fords wrote:
Good

I think we can rest assured that wellsy knows who's available and who's likely to sign or stay at their current club.

It's quite refreshing that nothings coming out into the open, who knows who we've missed out on by giving others a heads up. Getting watts was a masterstroke, he would have gone to a auction and cost us more I'm sure.
By all accounts, Shaun Wane was furious we got Watts when he didn’t even know he was available.
Wigan then signed Zak against Wane’s wishes.
I guess there are other reasons too, but my understanding is these two issues contributed to his decision to leave the club.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 06 Jul 2018, 09:42

nottinghamtiger wrote:
mart0042 wrote:
the machine wrote:
fords wrote:
Good

By all accounts, Shaun Wane was furious we got Watts when he didn’t even know he was available.
Wigan then signed Zak against Wane’s wishes.
I guess there are other reasons too, but my understanding is these two issues contributed to his decision to leave the club.
I couldn't believe it was just us and Toronto, especially as Wigan had Sutton and possibly Bateman leaving. Signs like we are doing things right and the coach gets the players he wants.

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 26 Nov 2018, 09:43

French website reporting move to Catalan dragons on the cards.

Do you think we have space on the cap for him? Would he demand a similar wage to Sau?
🐯 COYF!

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 26 Nov 2018, 10:18

At 28, he's the perfect age for a centre. He's experienced and a winner. How Widnes were able to pull this signing off in the first place I have no idea, I can only imagine they offered him a decent wage. He can and does often bring the wrong kind of attention on his club as he’s a big character on and off the field, especially on social media. But no doubting what he can do on the field.

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 26 Nov 2018, 20:58

heritage1926 wrote:At 28, he's the perfect age for a centre. He's experienced and a winner. How Widnes were able to pull this signing off in the first place I have no idea, I can only imagine they offered him a decent wage. He can and does often bring the wrong kind of attention on his club as he’s a big character on and off the field, especially on social media. But no doubting what he can do on the field.
Always thought of him as a loose cannon but comes across as a great character too,similar on the pitch he can win you a game but occasionally he will lose you one with some bizarre decision making. Certainly worth the risk IMO but he wouldn't be cheap.