Saints make big signings

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Saints make big signings

Post by mart0042 » 25 Jul 2018, 11:26

After announcing naquima and batchelor they now get joseph Paulo on a 3 yr deal.

Big names, ingesting to see who leaves. Morgan going I know

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Saints make big signings

Post by TheSheriff » 26 Jul 2018, 11:53

Barba & Morgan will likely be going.

Bolton-tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bolton-tiger » 26 Jul 2018, 12:18

mart0042 wrote:After announcing naquima and batchelor they now get joseph Paulo on a 3 yr deal.

Big names, ingesting to see who leaves. Morgan going I know

Wheres morgan going?

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 26 Jul 2018, 12:24

Rumoured a few weeks ago. He's turned into a solid centre now but took a while.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 26 Jul 2018, 12:25

morgan said yesterday he will be at saints next season
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 26 Jul 2018, 13:15

The Saints recruitment now raises the question of whether Saints will be dominating SL over the next few years as they look pretty unbeatable to me at the moment and adding further firepower looks like other clubs are staring a behemoth of a club to try to beat in the coming few seasons !!

Having a mighty chequebook doesn't always guarantee success but the way Saints have built and recruited with the coach and his staff being shrewd to pick up decent players will have the rest of SL now way on the backfoot !!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 26 Jul 2018, 13:18

doubt if holbrook and certainly not barba will stay for long when the nrl come calling
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 26 Jul 2018, 15:43

CasRus wrote:The Saints recruitment now raises the question of whether Saints will be dominating SL over the next few years as they look pretty unbeatable to me at the moment and adding further firepower looks like other clubs are staring a behemoth of a club to try to beat in the coming few seasons !!

Having a mighty chequebook doesn't always guarantee success but the way Saints have built and recruited with the coach and his staff being shrewd to pick up decent players will have the rest of SL now way on the backfoot !!
Wire have been spending aswell. If Leeds, hull and Wigan join the party we might struggle to stay with them.

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 26 Jul 2018, 16:35

They are signing average players. They don’t have as good a coach as us. They had one decentish import (not world class however much sky try to brainwash is) and it looks like he’s leaving. I don’t fear saints at all. We more than matched them in the first half of the cup match.

We signed a better player up today,have endless youngsters coming up,Gale to come back. I hope we play them in the semi finals tbh to prove a point.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 26 Jul 2018, 17:23

tallguyx wrote:They are signing average players. They don’t have as good a coach as us. They had one decentish import (not world class however much sky try to brainwash is) and it looks like he’s leaving. I don’t fear saints at all. We more than matched them in the first half of the cup match.

We signed a better player up today,have endless youngsters coming up,Gale to come back. I hope we play them in the semi finals tbh to prove a point.
Saints are streets ahead of us in all departments and have taken us apart 3 times already this year without having to get out of second gear.
Made good signings for next season and have a crop of top quality youngsters coming through which we could only dream about.

The top sides next season will be spending a good half million more on the cap than us and if the other big sides get their act together maybe next year there will be much better quality of rugby about as opposed to the dross that as been served up by most , barring Saints, this year.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 26 Jul 2018, 17:28

Yes all well and good tallguyx but you can't take away the fact that we have failed on 3 occasions to topple them and the scoreline finished comfortable on all 3 occasions in their favour and they are 10 points clear !!!

If you watched them against Wigan last time they look very scary !! They are very well drilled in defence and they were throwing that ball around at speed which Wigan couldn't cope with and the pace of their backs are second to none at the moment !

I corroborate with Sharlotiger in what he also says as my response is generally in line with his !

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 26 Jul 2018, 17:42

CasRus wrote:Yes all well and good tallguyx but you can't take away the fact that we have failed on 3 occasions to topple them and the scoreline finished comfortable on all 3 occasions in their favour and they are 10 points clear !!!

If you watched them against Wigan last time they look very scary !! They are very well drilled in defence and they were throwing that ball around at speed which Wigan couldn't cope with and the pace of their backs are second to none at the moment !

I corroborate with Sharlotiger in what he also says as my response is generally in line with his !
And at this point last year Cas looked the same.

Saints have used the least amount of players in the league this year - they've got lucky with injuries but the flip side of that is they will burn out in the 8s, just like Cas did.

Also, if you think there's teams spending more than half a million quid more than Cas on the cap - get in touch with the RFL because they're massively over what they're allowed to spend.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 26 Jul 2018, 18:16

If Saints get to Wembley (which I hope they do) it might have a bearing on their quest for Old Trafford.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 26 Jul 2018, 18:17

TheSheriff wrote:
Also, if you think there's teams spending more than half a million quid more than Cas on the cap - get in touch with the RFL because they're massively over what they're allowed to spend.
That's because they can because of the exemptions.

£1.8m now rising to £2m next season is the cap.

Then you've got England exemptions, returning player exemptions, marquee player exemptions, and so forth and so forth. The actually cap for the big clubs is more like £2.5m.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 26 Jul 2018, 18:47

Genuinely Barba aside I don’t think any of them are a giant leap in class. They beat the worst Wigan side for a few years last week, like someone above says we looked unbeatable this time last year. I think when the going gets tough you will be shocked how average they are.

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nu Shooze » 26 Jul 2018, 18:50

tallguyx wrote:They are signing average players. They don’t have as good a coach as us. They had one decentish import (not world class however much sky try to brainwash is) and it looks like he’s leaving. I don’t fear saints at all. We more than matched them in the first half of the cup match.

A pint of what he’s had, please Barman!

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 26 Jul 2018, 19:47

It wouldn’t surprise me if Warrington beat them tonight.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 26 Jul 2018, 22:22

you weren't far off mate. I called it saints by a drop goal so wasn't far off lol great game though.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 27 Jul 2018, 10:14

2 teams relatively unscathed with injuries. The injuries have to come surely.

It'll be interesting what fines the rfl hit saints with after a fan hits a wire player. We got 20k fine for throwing a bottle of water not physically striking them.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 27 Jul 2018, 10:50

Well, after Wires elevated their game and threw the kitchen sink at Saints, Saints still managed to sneak a win !

To be honest I thought Wires were dead unlucky as they had Saints well contained defensively for most of the game and it was just the brilliance of Lomax that undid them ! - Who's for putting Lomax up as Man of Steel this season as he is playing out of his skin - he's like the silent killer when he's coming in late for offloads and illusive especially where he is ducking under tackles which I've seen him do a number of times now - our lot should be taking note of this for when facing him and always tracking his movements when we are defending the line as he's good at last minute linking up under planned moves especially that inside pass.

All said, it takes a great team to find a way to win which Saints did last night and just like Cas did against them in the GF semi last season !

I still think Saints are playing a level above anyone else and hope with Gale,Mcmeeken back (and, probably controversionally, I think Roberts as he now has a lot to prove as at his best he was pretty good when he was good but hasn't shown a lot of class on his last showings as we all know) we can raise to a level where we will overcome them .

Think Trueman is still a little green at the moment but he will be definitely be good next season and being in the team this season getting game time is getting him up to speed.