Saints make big signings

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Saints make big signings

Post by Nu Shooze » 26 Jul 2018, 18:50

tallguyx wrote:They are signing average players. They don’t have as good a coach as us. They had one decentish import (not world class however much sky try to brainwash is) and it looks like he’s leaving. I don’t fear saints at all. We more than matched them in the first half of the cup match.

We signed a better player up today,have endless youngsters coming up,Gale to come back. I hope we play them in the semi finals tbh to prove a point.
A pint of what he’s had, please Barman!

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 26 Jul 2018, 19:47

It wouldn’t surprise me if Warrington beat them tonight.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 26 Jul 2018, 22:22

you weren't far off mate. I called it saints by a drop goal so wasn't far off lol great game though.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 27 Jul 2018, 10:14

2 teams relatively unscathed with injuries. The injuries have to come surely.

It'll be interesting what fines the rfl hit saints with after a fan hits a wire player. We got 20k fine for throwing a bottle of water not physically striking them.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 27 Jul 2018, 10:50

Well, after Wires elevated their game and threw the kitchen sink at Saints, Saints still managed to sneak a win !

To be honest I thought Wires were dead unlucky as they had Saints well contained defensively for most of the game and it was just the brilliance of Lomax that undid them ! - Who's for putting Lomax up as Man of Steel this season as he is playing out of his skin - he's like the silent killer when he's coming in late for offloads and illusive especially where he is ducking under tackles which I've seen him do a number of times now - our lot should be taking note of this for when facing him and always tracking his movements when we are defending the line as he's good at last minute linking up under planned moves especially that inside pass.

All said, it takes a great team to find a way to win which Saints did last night and just like Cas did against them in the GF semi last season !

I still think Saints are playing a level above anyone else and hope with Gale,Mcmeeken back (and, probably controversionally, I think Roberts as he now has a lot to prove as at his best he was pretty good when he was good but hasn't shown a lot of class on his last showings as we all know) we can raise to a level where we will overcome them .

Think Trueman is still a little green at the moment but he will be definitely be good next season and being in the team this season getting game time is getting him up to speed.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 27 Jul 2018, 11:33

i would imagine saints could be in big trouble two of there fans grabed hold of murdoch mesila fancy trying to start a fight with him...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 27 Jul 2018, 11:48

tigerfeat wrote:i would imagine saints could be in big trouble two of there fans grabed hold of murdoch mesila fancy trying to start a fight with him...
Bet it gets swept under the carpet.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 27 Jul 2018, 11:51

tigerfeat wrote:i would imagine saints could be in big trouble two of there fans grabed hold of murdoch mesila fancy trying to start a fight with him...
They were brave, stupid or really drunk to go for the biggest bloke on the park!!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 27 Jul 2018, 11:55

wish hed have knocked the scrote out
Vince Lombardi

GET EM ON SIDE
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by GET EM ON SIDE » 31 Jul 2018, 08:13

Saints are looking really strong and I would go as far as saying they are miles in front of the rest. Now things have settled for them financially following purchase of stadium (yes all that time ago) they can invest more finances into the squad cos ask many a saints fan they under invested in quality for a good 5 years and some say the stadium took some funding with loans still to be sorted years after moving in date. They own there own stadium and could be force for years to come.

Visitor

Post by Visitor » 02 Aug 2018, 11:19

Let’s be fair, Saints were a conversion or no brainfart from Morgan away from a win in the semi last year so some of these comments are laughable.

Playing champagne rugby in the summer is very different to a wet dismal night in September and October, and Luke gale won that game with a monumental effort. That was Cas’s final in reality, they had nothing left come the final (losing hardaker in such fashion would have an impact but Cas looked spent in the final) against Leeds who at best were above average. Cas would have taken them if they hadn’t had such a draining semi.

The thing is, Saints had been dire for months at the start of the season and were lucky to even be in the semis but were clearly in the ascendancy at that point.

As someone else has mentioned, the money into the (Saints) stadium has limited the spend over a few years, including keeping KCunningham as coach on the cheap when Brown left.

Now the stadium is paid for however, it also brings in money, with conferences and weddings for example, and a fancy shop etc.

Audi Warrington use it for a lot of their meetings and training, for example, as part of their sponsorship. Also, the hospitality suites are 5 times the size of Knowsley Road so that’s another revenue stream.

The huge investment is now paying dividends, off the pitch financially, and that then influences things on the pitch with stronger contracts, nice place to attract players to and money to spend bringing through youth.

That’s something that Cas board need to think about with the new stadium.... it will pay for itself eventually.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 02 Aug 2018, 13:24

Saints' new stadium was funded by the cross-funding from Tesco, selling Knowsley Road for housing, and a town centre retail development. It left them with no bank debt according to Eamonn McManus:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby ... Manus.html

http://www.spawforths.co.uk/langtree-park-stadium

Sources above. Therefore, I don't see how the stadium has been a millstone for them....Saints have made a loss every single year for the last 5 years.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Visitor

Post by Visitor » 02 Aug 2018, 13:36

You’ll notice his words are chosen very carefully, in that he says It was built with no BANK debt, that’s not the same as NO DEBT. Some of the investment was McManus’ personal money as an interest-free loan, and some was from an investment company. I believe that wasn’t interest free, but have all been paid back now.

He mentions on that interview how the stadium actually makes money in its own right, whereas Knowsley Rd lost money!

By the way, St Helens have just returned to profit in 2018.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2018/07/23/s ... y-in-2018/

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 02 Aug 2018, 15:20

Visitor wrote:Let’s be fair, Saints were a conversion or no brainfart from Morgan away from a win in the semi last year so some of these comments are laughable.

Playing champagne rugby in the summer is very different to a wet dismal night in September and October, and Luke gale won that game with a monumental effort. That was Cas’s final in reality, they had nothing left come the final (losing hardaker in such fashion would have an impact but Cas looked spent in the final) against Leeds who at best were above average. Cas would have taken them if they hadn’t had such a draining semi.

The thing is, Saints had been dire for months at the start of the season and were lucky to even be in the semis but were clearly in the ascendancy at that point.

As someone else has mentioned, the money into the (Saints) stadium has limited the spend over a few years, including keeping KCunningham as coach on the cheap when Brown left.

Now the stadium is paid for however, it also brings in money, with conferences and weddings for example, and a fancy shop etc.

Audi Warrington use it for a lot of their meetings and training, for example, as part of their sponsorship. Also, the hospitality suites are 5 times the size of Knowsley Road so that’s another revenue stream.

The huge investment is now paying dividends, off the pitch financially, and that then influences things on the pitch with stronger contracts, nice place to attract players to and money to spend bringing through youth.

That’s something that Cas board need to think about with the new stadium.... it will pay for itself eventually.
theres one thing about this post that makes me highly suspicious visitor. who the hell in warrington can afford an audi. ;)
jo brand is eddie warings love child

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 05 Aug 2018, 13:17

Not much 'atmosphere being generated ' in saints end wire and leeds fans loving it tho ..there getting absolutely pulled to pieces at minute
Vince Lombardi

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 05 Aug 2018, 14:15

Catalans have being outstanding in attack and aggressive in defense. I'm a little embarrassed by our defensive efforts against Superstar Saints this year so far in comparison.

Catalan have owned them.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 05 Aug 2018, 14:30

Interesting to see how the saints pack go rest of season smashed out of sight today especially first half well done Catalans
Vince Lombardi

Bolton-tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bolton-tiger » 05 Aug 2018, 14:35

Be intresting to see how catalans go in the final and how many fans they bring over for it.could be good for us as i think we play them the week after the final so they might be batterd and bruised and want to rest players against us

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 05 Aug 2018, 14:43

tigerfeat wrote:Interesting to see how the saints pack go rest of season smashed out of sight today especially first half well done Catalans
Thompson aside there's a fair few over 30. In those conditions and against a hungry defense they looked over 40 today.

I hope we've learned from that performance by Catalans. The 1st half was like a top end team from the NRL.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 28 Aug 2018, 16:31