Post by old cas lass » 08 Sep 2018, 20:01

43s flyer wrote:Ref allowed 3 tries from forward passes
Had a shocker second half.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Catalan v saints

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Sep 2018, 20:22

How can both touch judges miss a ball thrown a yard forward even if ref not at good angle to see
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 08 Sep 2018, 22:30

I don't envy them their job but the standard of refereeing this year has to be at it's lowest for years. Embarrassing at times.

The touch judges frequently resemble plant pots

The blame lies firmly at the gates of Red Hall though.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 09 Sep 2018, 08:18

SuffolkTiger wrote:I don't envy them their job but the standard of refereeing this year has to be at it's lowest for years. Embarrassing at times.

The blame lies firmly at the gates of Red Hall though.
Agree with all this, but there is no quick fix to improve the current crop of ref's to the standard of those in NRL, so we have to try to make their job easier.

No doubt we have to do something and a radical solution might be that we should give our ref's an on-field assistant, whose only responsibility would be to police the tackle / play of the ball, as this is the area that ref's struggle with most IMO. Similar to NRL.

These 'tackle' assistants would be of far more use than the current dead ball assistants and would not only help by reducing the amount of messing about by tacklers and milking of penalties, but would provide a pathway for any potential ref's of the future.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Sep 2018, 08:32

A very good start in improving the standard of refing which as sunk to new levels of garbage this season for the start of next season is to try and persuade Matt cecchin who's quitting refing in the nrl to come over here
Vince Lombardi

WallTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WallTiger » 09 Sep 2018, 09:11

[quote="orrsome"][quote="SuffolkTiger"]I don't envy them their job but the standard of refereeing this year has to be at it's lowest for years. Embarrassing at times.

The blame lies firmly at the gates of Red Hall though.[/

Totally agree about current standard of referring in SL but also think generally playing standards are at the lowest they have been for several years and whilst I never thought it could get any worse, the administration of the game is quite frankly pathetic at best. Let’s hope Elstone & the RFL can work together to sort it out although I won’t hold my breath.

But with regards to refs I will say that there job is not helped by the embarrassing play acting of the players with diving, trapping arms/legs in and throwing of arms up in the air to influence the ref to give a penalty at the ruck/play the ball. For me it has got worse over the past 2 seasons and is a major blight on the game and turning people away. It needs sorting immediately, with penalties being given for this blatant cheating, I’m sure coaches will soon get the message to the players if that started happening.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 09 Sep 2018, 10:44

WallTiger wrote:
orrsome wrote:
SuffolkTiger wrote:I don't envy them their job but the standard of refereeing this year has to be at it's lowest for years. Embarrassing at times.

Totally agree about current standard of referring in SL but also think generally playing standards are at the lowest they have been for several years and whilst I never thought it could get any worse, the administration of the game is quite frankly pathetic at best. Let’s hope Elstone & the RFL can work together to sort it out although I won’t hold my breath.

But with regards to refs I will say that there job is not helped by the embarrassing play acting of the players with diving, trapping arms/legs in and throwing of arms up in the air to influence the ref to give a penalty at the ruck/play the ball. For me it has got worse over the past 2 seasons and is a major blight on the game and turning people away. It needs sorting immediately, with penalties being given for this blatant cheating, I’m sure coaches will soon get the message to the players if that started happening.
Exactly my point. Players are taking advantage of the inept standard of reffing with their play acting and arm waving (especially rat boy and his mates) because they cant watch everything that's going on. If they had an assistant ref standing over the play of the ball, with the power to award penalties, this kind of cynical behaviour would be eliminated.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 09 Sep 2018, 10:47

orrsome wrote:
WallTiger wrote:
orrsome wrote:

Exactly my point. Players are taking advantage of the inept standard of reffing with their play acting and arm waving (especially rat boy and his mates) because they cant watch everything that's going on. If they had an assistant ref standing over the play of the ball, with the power to award penalties, this kind of cynical behaviour would be eliminated.
P.S. It would also have the effect of speeding the game up, which is surely what we all want.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 10 Sep 2018, 09:48

I don't think we have enough refs but the Aussie system works. They don't look to strip the ball as a matter of course.

Every time I hear "the standard of the league has gone down". It's normally from a Leeds fan when they win nothing. Some teams are to qualify, some are not. Some play expansive attractive rugby and then you have Wigan.

Personally I'd very the Aussie ref who's had enough to come over and push reffing along.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 10 Sep 2018, 11:00

mart0042 wrote:I don't think we have enough refs but the Aussie system works. They don't look to strip the ball as a matter of course.

Every time I hear "the standard of the league has gone down". It's normally from a Leeds fan when they win nothing. Some teams are to qualify, some are not. Some play expansive attractive rugby and then you have Wigan.

Personally I'd very the Aussie ref who's had enough to come over and push reffing along.
The Aussie system works better mostly because the players know that they cant get away with stripping the ball, holding down, etc because there are 2 sets of eyes on them.
I hear more and more comments from Aussie players playing in Super League that our refs are inept at best and would not be good enough for NRL.
With this in mind, the obvious thing to do is to give them some help, albeit from a relatively inexperienced 2nd ref on the field. As said the dead-ball linesmen are most under utilised so move them to doing something useful like watching the tackle / play of the ball.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 10 Sep 2018, 11:32

orrsome wrote:
mart0042 wrote:I don't think we have enough refs but the Aussie system works. They don't look to strip the ball as a matter of course.

The Aussie system works better mostly because the players know that they cant get away with stripping the ball, holding down, etc because there are 2 sets of eyes on them.
I hear more and more comments from Aussie players playing in Super League that our refs are inept at best and would not be good enough for NRL.
With this in mind, the obvious thing to do is to give them some help, albeit from a relatively inexperienced 2nd ref on the field. As said the dead-ball linesmen are most under utilised so move them to doing something useful like watching the tackle / play of the ball.
I completely agree.

The bunker system also a good idea. It frees up a ref.

gerin2em

Post by gerin2em » 10 Sep 2018, 17:44

:oops:
mart0042 wrote:
orrsome wrote:

I completely agree.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the bunker system

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 11 Sep 2018, 09:46

gerin2em wrote::oops:
mart0042 wrote:
orrsome wrote:

I completely agree.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the bunker system
In the nrl they have a former ref and player and staff at location away from the match. They use the same location as all matches are televised. Any decision sent to video ref goes to them and looks completely neutral.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 11 Sep 2018, 10:17

Also the bunker explains the decision, everyone in the stadium can hear that decision.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 11 Sep 2018, 11:54

nearly every try thats scored in nrl gets sent to bunker i assume kfc have paid the nrl a lot of money to advertise there 10 dollar bucket of spicy wings
Vince Lombardi

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 11 Sep 2018, 14:11

Difficulty in having a bunker system in Super League is that not all matches are televised, but it may be possible to link to the individual club's video systems?