Semi Pro football in Castleford

Exactly what it says on the tin...
Glassy AFC

Semi Pro football in Castleford

Post by Glassy AFC » 02 May 2017, 16:12

I know there are a lot of Leeds Utd fans who are also Tigers fans and go to both when they don't clash. Obviously this is a rugby league forum but is there a big football interest from Tigers fans out of the SL season ? Reason I ask is the town have a semi professional football club who compete in the North East Counties League, the FA Cup and FA Vase and who are looking to grow their fan base and it would be fantastic to see Tigers fans support their home town football when the rugby season is over. Glasshoughton Welfare AFC have had a good season both on and off the pitch but would love to attract the support of you - Tigers fans who are renowned for supporting and following your own. Just after ideas really to see what you guys think and what suggestions you'd have to attract fans down to the Glasshoughton games.

greenhouse
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Semi Pro football in Castleford

Post by greenhouse » 02 May 2017, 16:18

I personally find football completely boring but one thing you could do is call yourselves castleford fc.

Glassy AFC

Post by Glassy AFC » 02 May 2017, 16:23

Yeah I know football is not everyone's cup of tea. Even a lot of people at amateur and semi pro level don't like top level football and everything that goes with it but there are a lot of people who like both rugby league and football. Glasshoughton can't change their name but they are a Cas side who represent the town at a high level.

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 02 May 2017, 16:26

Glassy AFC wrote:I know there are a lot of Leeds Utd fans who are also Tigers fans and go to both when they don't clash. Obviously this is a rugby league forum but is there a big football interest from Tigers fans out of the SL season ? Reason I ask is the town have a semi professional football club who compete in the North East Counties League, the FA Cup and FA Vase and who are looking to grow their fan base and it would be fantastic to see Tigers fans support their home town football when the rugby season is over. Glasshoughton Welfare AFC have had a good season both on and off the pitch but would love to attract the support of you - Tigers fans who are renowned for supporting and following your own. Just after ideas really to see what you guys think and what suggestions you'd have to attract fans down to the Glasshoughton games.
This is a club that has grown over the years, starting out as Anson sports , playing at Allerton Bywater.
As someone suggested maybe re- name your self Castleford AFC ,don't forget Castleford had a football team playing at Wheldon Road before the rugby team. Might grow on soccer lovers and you have changed your name once before.

Glassy AFC

Post by Glassy AFC » 02 May 2017, 16:33

Definitely something to ask the relevant people at the club. It's good to get people's opinions. Such a shame we can't do something alongside Cas Tigers as I know the fans we do have go home and away with Cas when it doesn't clash with our matches.

Normy-Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Normy-Tiger » 02 May 2017, 16:57

Speak to Cas. Try get some vouchers in the season tickets from next year etc...

Glassy AFC

Post by Glassy AFC » 02 May 2017, 17:11

Like it - that's a good idea. Be good to offer Cas fans/ season ticket holders something. Whether that be cheaper entrance or something for free once inside the ground. I know Wakey used to do something similar with the old Wakefield FC before they folded. It's good to know from the fans what would attract them to come down.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 02 May 2017, 17:20

Cas already has Castleford Town FC, they're going to be semi pro.

I don't think glasshoughton should be trying to get on the back of the rugby team though, I'd try someone like Leeds United
Barnsley etc. Football = Football.

It's boring and full of prima donnas, personally I wouldn't want anything whatsoever resembling football involving with Cas tigers. Two different sports, two different sets of fans and certainly a different type of culture altogether.

Suggest this thread is deleted or moved to any other sports. Soccer isn't RL.
Audacter Et Sincere

Glassy AFC

Post by Glassy AFC » 02 May 2017, 17:26

Like I said - it's opinions and that's yours but you don't speak for everyone. Theres plenty of RL fans who love football and vice versa. Each to their own.

WF10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WF10 » 02 May 2017, 17:29

I keep meaning to go down to watch but haven't managed it yet. Will hopefully get down sometime soon.
removed post it again and you will join them on a 48 hour ban read the AUP

Glassy AFC

Post by Glassy AFC » 02 May 2017, 18:30

Nice one mate - well if you do make it down let people in the clubhouse know that you're a Tigers fan

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 02 May 2017, 18:39

I used to go to there home games as a lad used to love it dont watch much football now but often thought of having a walk down there again
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

WF10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WF10 » 02 May 2017, 18:45

Have you got any more games this season?
Can't see any on that pitchero website.
removed post it again and you will join them on a 48 hour ban read the AUP

Glassy AFC

Post by Glassy AFC » 02 May 2017, 18:48

No - we have finished for this season. Improved from 17th last year to 11th this and hopeful for a FA Cup place for this coming season.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 02 May 2017, 19:33

Glassy AFC wrote:Like I said - it's opinions and that's yours but you don't speak for everyone. Theres plenty of RL fans who love football and vice versa. Each to their own.
Indeed.

I think I just don't want to read about Glasshoughton Welfare FC on our main Rugby League Forum though. I'm excited to see Tigers news but not that of a semi pro soccer team. All the best though.
Audacter Et Sincere

Glassy AFC

Post by Glassy AFC » 02 May 2017, 21:02

No worries - just looking for help to promote another side in the town but appreciate your comments. Maybe with so many other threads going on then non football fans needn't read this one. Just a thought.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 02 May 2017, 21:10

Glassy AFC wrote:No worries - just looking for help to promote another side in the town but appreciate your comments. Maybe with so many other threads going on then non football fans needn't read this one. Just a thought.
Footie and football are also known names for rugby league. Hence my belief in reading a post on here I believed to refer to amateur rugby in Cas.

Just to clear that up. Cheers.
Audacter Et Sincere

Glassy AFC

Post by Glassy AFC » 02 May 2017, 21:36

I guess I could of put 'soccer' in the title but then that's what it's called in the USA. A bit like RL is called 'Footie' in Australia.
In hindsight maybe shouldn't of tried chatting to rugby league fans about potentially helping/supporting a local football club.

Shall leave you to your 'Footie' chat :roll:

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 02 May 2017, 22:22

Glassy AFC wrote:I guess I could of put 'soccer' in the title
Agreed. Cheers
Audacter Et Sincere

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 02 May 2017, 22:36

Probably just posted into wrong section of the forum. There is an 'other sports' section.

Long live the Tigers!!!