next years wish list

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
init
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: next years wish list

Post by init » 16 Oct 2017, 21:42

In no particular order.....

Beat St's at their place finally in a league game

Beat Hull away from home

Beat Leeds home/away & neutral (if req)

learn to play wet weather rugby

Beat Wigan anytime

other than that ........ GF, CC, LLS, go unbeaten all year, record the cas fans singing sweet caroline and have it chart at no1......oh and at the end of the year revert back to AMBER!!!!!!

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 16 Oct 2017, 23:06

1st i hope we buck the trend of winning the LLS and then having to battle in the middle 8 the next season.

We need 2 big props in my opinion. The full back situation needs clearing up too.

Work on varying attacking kicks in general play, as well as finding grass instead of a regulation catch for the opposition when we kick downfield.

It wouldn't be a disaster if we didn't get off to a flyer next season,we only have to look at the team who beat us last week to see its how you finish.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 17 Oct 2017, 10:00

I must agree with TIGERFOREVER two props and a full back should be on our NEED list not on our wish list, if the club want to get their money in for our season tickets some movement on the signing front would help to spur us on, having signed two lads with loads of potential its time we pushed the boat out and signed some proven quality, with our increase in turn over and money from team players that have left, money must be available

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 17 Oct 2017, 17:39

What about money taken out for upgrading contracts? And money used investing in backroom staff? And signing academy players?

There's most costs than just the first team that build a successful side.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 17 Oct 2017, 19:46

i agree money cant be spent more than once, but the wages saved by the number of players that have been released plus extra money generated by increased crowds, merchandise, A reported £1000,000 for winning the league leaders shield and may be something from our appearance at Manchester there should be a few bob left over to sign some Quality players, Most of our fans think we need some size in the front row and with what's happened a full back, the fans that were attracted to the club came because we were winning if the winning stops a lot of the new fans will drift away

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 18 Oct 2017, 09:13

The cap increases by 200k, that should cover contract upgrades and the rest. Even using the money from the lls and grand final appearance we should still have 200-300k for new wages.

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 18 Oct 2017, 11:17

Top teams always strengthen when they are at top of their game. Just hope we can improve with a couple of signings, we all know DP has unearthed a couple of gems from the lower leagues,, but to keep the newbie fans interested is by signing a couple of star performers. Extra income from continued higher gates, pays their wages. None of us wants to go back to 6-7,000 gates.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 18 Oct 2017, 12:45

I'm sorry but there are no excuses for not replacing the players we've lost nor the failure to sign a number of quality players to move us forward.

If money is genuinely and issue I would suggests there's something wrong behind the scenes.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 18 Oct 2017, 13:01

mart0042 wrote:The cap increases by 200k, that should cover contract upgrades and the rest. Even using the money from the lls and grand final appearance we should still have 200-300k for new wages.
Providing we can spend the increase.....just because the cap is X amount, doesn't mean we have the revenue or money to sustainably spend it.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 18 Oct 2017, 13:15

Flat Capper wrote:I'm sorry but there are no excuses for not replacing the players we've lost nor the failure to sign a number of quality players to move us forward.

If money is genuinely and issue I would suggests there's something wrong behind the scenes.
Of the players we've lost, how many were first team regulars?

Chase (last chance saloon), Larroyer (desperate for a deal due to mortgage), Monaghan, Lynch, Patrick were all back-up players who played very little part in last season. Fitzsimmons, Holmes and Igbinedion were punts or kids and didn't play for us last year so can be easily replaced by kids coming up.

The most lucrative ones there would have been Monaghan and Lynch. I reckon Wardle will have taken most of Monaghan's contract. Lo and Larroyer I'd probably say are comparable. I don't reckon there would have been more than 150k in cap space among the other six.

Hardaker is still technically contracted to the club and a wage we still have to account for until his case is brought to an end.

People say we need quality players to move us forward but this is the side that finished top of the league by 10 points. Other sides have to strengthen, the core of our squad is good enough. We just need to have stronger back-up players who put pressure on the first team and/or good enough to rotate in.

By my calculation we used 28 players last season, of which Egodo, Maher, Gill and Trueman only played one game. So really a squad of 24 for the majority of last season. Of those 18 (19 including Hardaker) still remain at the club.

We've added Lo and Wardle which takes us to 20 and then we elevate Egodo, Maher, Gill, Trueman and Douglas which brings us to 25. So 3 signings needed - the general consensus being a FB and two props.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 18 Oct 2017, 13:23

More or less what I just posted on another one gone thread.

Agree 100% Hudds

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 18 Oct 2017, 13:40

All I will add is the old phrase, if you stand still you end up going backwards.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 18 Oct 2017, 14:16

It was clear in the big games we played last year against hull saints and finally leeds we were at least one big forward short possibly two now some of the fringe players have now left as well ,that needs to be corrected asap
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 18 Oct 2017, 14:22

So we're clearing out fringe players to make room for a couple of big impact players .....

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 18 Oct 2017, 14:46

It was clear to see, the last 8 weeks of the season some of our forwards looked dead on there feet.
With Jesse and mcmeeken playing in just about every game, jesses defiantly did.
Both seemed to struggle at the back end.
Jesse IS NOT A PROP., we lost a lot of out momentum down the left when he was used as prop.
Even millington weren’t as affective the last month.
We certainly need 2 more props, just for rotation purposes.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 18 Oct 2017, 16:14

old cas lass wrote:It was clear to see, the last 8 weeks of the season some of our forwards looked dead on there feet.
Jesse IS NOT A PROP., we lost a lot of out momentum down the left when he was used as prop.
100% correct

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 18 Oct 2017, 16:25

Not Jamie Ellis for 3 years thats for sure. Totally agree with FC on this one.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 18 Oct 2017, 17:03

HuddsTigers wrote:
Flat Capper wrote:I'm sorry but there are no excuses for not replacing the players we've lost nor the failure to sign a number of quality players to move us forward.

Of the players we've lost, how many were first team regulars?

Chase (last chance saloon), Larroyer (desperate for a deal due to mortgage), Monaghan, Lynch, Patrick were all back-up players who played very little part in last season. Fitzsimmons, Holmes and Igbinedion were punts or kids and didn't play for us last year so can be easily replaced by kids coming up.

The most lucrative ones there would have been Monaghan and Lynch. I reckon Wardle will have taken most of Monaghan's contract. Lo and Larroyer I'd probably say are comparable. I don't reckon there would have been more than 150k in cap space among the other six.

Hardaker is still technically contracted to the club and a wage we still have to account for until his case is brought to an end.

People say we need quality players to move us forward but this is the side that finished top of the league by 10 points. Other sides have to strengthen, the core of our squad is good enough. We just need to have stronger back-up players who put pressure on the first team and/or good enough to rotate in.

By my calculation we used 28 players last season, of which Egodo, Maher, Gill and Trueman only played one game. So really a squad of 24 for the majority of last season. Of those 18 (19 including Hardaker) still remain at the club.

We've added Lo and Wardle which takes us to 20 and then we elevate Egodo, Maher, Gill, Trueman and Douglas which brings us to 25. So 3 signings needed - the general consensus being a FB and two props.
If Jamie Ellis is one of the 3 signings needed then that is very unimpressive news.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 18 Oct 2017, 21:09

old cas lass wrote:It was clear to see, the last 8 weeks of the season some of our forwards looked dead on there feet.
Hit the nail on the head there with that OCL. Bang on correct

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 19 Oct 2017, 10:12

HuddsTigers wrote:
mart0042 wrote:The cap increases by 200k, that should cover contract upgrades and the rest. Even using the money from the lls and grand final appearance we should still have 200-300k for new wages.
Providing we can spend the increase.....just because the cap is X amount, doesn't mean we have the revenue or money to sustainably spend it.
I think an average crowd of 7k gets full salary cap. We averaged more had an extra home game for coming top 4, plus a home semi. Should easily cover it.