Full back suggestions

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Full back suggestions

Post by Casmoley » 18 Oct 2017, 22:37

Normyford2 wrote:I was harsh earlier moley lol it's not an easy one as Zak has thrown a MASSIVE spanner in the works! I still don't think Ellis is a starter! Alot depends on what the plans are with Zak , are we keeping/arnt we keeping. Looks to me like we will keep, Scott grix is underwhelming but could 'do a job' if we are keeping Zak. It's just a messed up scenario because full back is so important to our team! I would have preferred a short term grix type player with Roberts at half back. I would take jowwit , I would accept Locke too! Our halves were great last year and I wouldn't want to disrupt that! What's happened with Zak is a massive shame and has certainly stalled our progress for the next few years because we have to fix something that wasn't broken!

We're all friends here just p*ssed off with the situation. Looks like Grix is signing a new deal at wakey. A loan deal for Jowitt for a year would be decent if we are going to wait for Zak to return. If we sack Zak it may still be a option until someone decent is available permanent the year after. Powell is the silver fox but with all this stress he'll have same hair cut as Massey next year!!

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 18 Oct 2017, 22:39

Casmoley wrote:
swede wrote:Would go with Matty Russel. If possible.
Good player. But if he's not good enough for fullback in a Warrington team that don't have a set fullback is he good enough a full back for us over Eden/ Roberts?
Would even more disappointes with Russell. Don't rate him much.
Do we even have a quota spot left or is that it?
Hey Moley, I hear the Springer deal to Wakey is still a possibility. Are we making room for a decent forward signing or what?
I also hear Zak was down at Cas this week.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 18 Oct 2017, 22:40

Could Joe Wardle be the answer?

I know it sounds desperate, but i don't like the idea of moving Roberts from his best position.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 18 Oct 2017, 22:41

duke street 10 wrote:Could Joe Wardle be the answer?

I know it sounds desperate, but i don't like the idea of moving Roberts from his best position.

No. I think if you're going to move anyone other than Roberts it would be Jy Eden Minikin Lo.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 18 Oct 2017, 22:47

RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:
Casmoley wrote:
swede wrote:Would go with Matty Russel. If possible.
Good player. But if he's not good enough for fullback in a Warrington team that don't have a set fullback is he good enough a full back for us over Eden/ Roberts?
Would even more disappointes with Russell. Don't rate him much.
Do we even have a quota spot left or is that it?
Hey Moley, I hear the Springer deal to Wakey is still a possibility. Are we making room for a decent forward signing or what?
I also hear Zak was down at Cas this week.

Last I heard Carter denied talking to gadwin as he is contracted to Cas. He won't be on a huge contract so losing him wouldn't make a huge difference whereas lynch and Patrick contracts combined could help us sign a decent prop. If Gadwin did leave I would suggest a similar contract to Mitch Clark. Also plenty of money now spare from Zak / Monners.

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 18 Oct 2017, 23:28

William Zillman.

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 19 Oct 2017, 07:19

Casmoley wrote:Let's hope we massively improve our prop department to make us all feel better about the full back mess.
this was part of the point I was making in the ellis thread-I don't expect a fullback as good as zak but putting Roberts there and ellis in the halves seriously weakens 2 positions.decent fullback = slightly weaker team,but if we add some quality in the forwards then overall we can still move forward.unfortunately from the names being bandied about this does not appear the case.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 19 Oct 2017, 07:55

Full back is the hardest position to fill as most of us know, recently we tried Solomona the Eden both cracking wingers but full backs NO, If there isn't a proven top Quality full back available before switching players round to positions that they are not comfortable with, we must give our under 19 full back an extended run he was thought good enough to play for GB in the recent matches against France, these lads have to start somewhere

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 19 Oct 2017, 09:28

gateman wrote:Full back is the hardest position to fill as most of us know, recently we tried Solomona the Eden both cracking wingers but full backs NO, If there isn't a proven top Quality full back available before switching players round to positions that they are not comfortable with, we must give our under 19 full back an extended run he was thought good enough to play for GB in the recent matches against France, these lads have to start somewhere
Correct gateman, look at Jack Walker, not a bad 18yr old.

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 19 Oct 2017, 10:02

Casmoley wrote:

No. I think if you're going to move anyone other than Roberts it would be Jy Eden Minikin Lo.
I would quite like to see Minikin tried at fullback as a long-term replacement for Zak. Also started life as a centre as Zak did. Imo Minikin in very similar player to Zak and is young enough to be moulded. Then use Lo and Eden on the wings, Wardle Shenton and Webster to fight out for centres.

laner
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by laner » 19 Oct 2017, 10:11

Alex Walker London Broncos & Scotland 22yrs could he be worth a punt 6ft plus’s

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 19 Oct 2017, 10:23

laner wrote:Alex Walker London Broncos & Scotland 22yrs could he be worth a punt 6ft plus’s

Another great shout.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 19 Oct 2017, 12:31

Andrew6666 wrote:
Casmoley wrote:

I would quite like to see Minikin tried at fullback as a long-term replacement for Zak. Also started life as a centre as Zak did. Imo Minikin in very similar player to Zak and is young enough to be moulded. Then use Lo and Eden on the wings, Wardle Shenton and Webster to fight out for centres.
Not a bad shout but he needs to improve under the high ball. Given he is young he has time on his side

Jazzman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jazzman » 01 Nov 2017, 12:01

Much depends on what happens with Zak and if the club want him back but I don't see them throwing the transfer fee down the drain. Roberts is 32/33 now so probably has another two years at top level so it might make sense to move him to full back (hence the signing of Jamie Ellis) after which Zak probably comes back into contention.

That should keep the side settled without too much disruption or anybody really being out of position.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 01 Nov 2017, 15:48

Its a shame Ash Robson decided he wanted part time rugby I think CAS saw him as a full back, we have the current GB under 19 full back it would be crazy not to try him in the friendly's to see how he goes

davenrtn123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by davenrtn123 » 01 Nov 2017, 16:19

Nobody suggested Minikin yet. I think the lad has hell of a lot going for him talent wise, a good rugby league brain and would be an asset anywhere in the backs......just a thought.

CoachHusky

Post by CoachHusky » 01 Nov 2017, 16:35

davenrtn123 wrote:Nobody suggested Minikin yet. I think the lad has hell of a lot going for him talent wise, a good rugby league brain and would be an asset anywhere in the backs......just a thought.
When we played Wakefield to secure the league leaders shield he dropped everything that was sent his way. He dropped a couple and his confidence totally went. I actually think Minikin is too dependant on how the first 10-15mins go for him. We don’t want a fullback that once he drops one totally loses confidence. Just my opinion.
All coaching is, is taking a player where he can't take himself.

Towns88
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Towns88 » 01 Nov 2017, 23:21

He was spewing his guts up during the grand final. Would be a bag of nerves at full back.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 02 Nov 2017, 11:12

I think David Mead had shown he'd be a good option for a year or two.

Release a quota fed player to accommodate.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Nov 2017, 11:26

mart0042 wrote:I think David Mead had shown he'd be a good option for a year or two.

Release a quota fed player to accommodate.
Contracted to Brisbane next year, signed a new deal a couple of months ago.