Truey / Young Players

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Truey / Young Players

Post by Mysterio » 01 May 2018, 11:45

Apart from the odd couple (Danny Orr being one) I’m notouriously bad for judging the ability or potential of a young player.

Unless they’ve got something blatantly exceptional (balance, side step, offload etc) I just can’t gauge.

To this end, can folks with more ability to see this tell me what I’m looking at in Trueman? (And/or any other young uns)

I’m genuinely not trying to be disrespectful but I don’t see much in him at all.

What I do see is someone reasonably confident and safe under a high ball.

I don’t see a side step, amazing pace or strength, reading of the game or attacking prowess.

The fact we don’t have a fullback capable of the X factor is the only reason our year hasn’t/won’t ultimately end in success IMO. The position is paramount importance in our team.

I’m not bagging Jake here. When DP says he’s seen him do amazing things in training it excites me. I was the same with Westerman and even sculthorpe!
Audacter Et Sincere

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Truey / Young Players

Post by duke street 10 » 01 May 2018, 12:15

I will say one thing about Trueman. He hasn't thrown a strop like Roberts did when given the difficult position to fill.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 01 May 2018, 12:25

hes being set some task trying to fill the place of last years full-back that is for sure ,when i saw him make his debut against wigan scoring three trys and not being put off by them trying to knock him about i thought he would be one of the best half-backs around in a couple of years time
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 01 May 2018, 12:38

Regarding Trueman, he didn't particularly play well against Wigan when he scored the hatrick i don't think and he had a bit of a nightmare against Hull last season (Super 8's i believe). I thought it was too early for him and that we wouldn't see him again for a while.

BUT to the lads testimant, he has been asked to fill a position that is nigh on impossible to master, if you haven't come through the ranks as one. He has made the position his own recently. I feel that people still make too many comparisons to him and Hardaker in how they attack. You won't find many in world rugby who can chime in the line as good as Zak could. I'm very happy with how he's progressing and would like to see him play against PNG at the end of the year when the Knights tour, the more experience he get's on the field (whatever position he plays) the better.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 01 May 2018, 13:10

The youngsters at the local clubs get the games at cas as the Cas scholarship coaches generally have links to them and see them week in and week out.

If you watch the under 16s at club level you'll see that there's only a few real outstanding players and a number have got scholarships because of who they know and which club they play at. But that's common knowledge.

In the end actual ability only counts for so much, it's the dedication and willingness to learn.

Hampshire at wakey is a good example, fantastic at junior but has a lot to learn. Jsl is a great example his dedication, will to win and enthusiasm is huge.

Spotting quality is tricky but fitness is easy to spot. A player carrying an extra 2 stone is easy to see.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 01 May 2018, 19:55

I shall be attending our under 19s match on Thursday I enjoy looking at some of the lads that hopefully will turn out for the first team , a lad I am interested to see is Lewis Carr with the reports the lad is scoring for fun at least one four timer and a few three timers under his belt this season Lewis hails from my home town club Normanton Knights is position there was full back

classysupercas3
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classysupercas3 » 01 May 2018, 20:14

Mysterio wrote:Apart from the odd couple (Danny Orr being one) I’m notouriously bad for judging the ability or potential of a young player.

Unless they’ve got something blatantly exceptional (balance, side step, offload etc) I just can’t gauge.

To this end, can folks with more ability to see this tell me what I’m looking at in Trueman? (And/or any other young uns)

I’m genuinely not trying to be disrespectful but I don’t see much in him at all.

What I do see is someone reasonably confident and safe under a high ball.

I don’t see a side step, amazing pace or strength, reading of the game or attacking prowess.

The fact we don’t have a fullback capable of the X factor is the only reason our year hasn’t/won’t ultimately end in success IMO. The position is paramount importance in our team.

I’m not bagging Jake here. When DP says he’s seen him do amazing things in training it excites me. I was the same with Westerman and even sculthorpe!
Your right really. I think the main thing is his age and a cool head. Agree he isn't a full back. And we wont be winning trophies without one either. Think we have been short changed this year pal

Weareone

Post by Weareone » 02 May 2018, 00:01

gateman wrote:I shall be attending our under 19s match on Thursday I enjoy looking at some of the lads that hopefully will turn out for the first team , a lad I am interested to see is Lewis Carr with the reports the lad is scoring for fun at least one four timer and a few three timers under his belt this season Lewis hails from my home town club Normanton Knights is position there was full back
Dont excpect to much from the u19s not a good team this year but you can not be good every year carr is scoring but he not playing well missed tackles ect its ok scoring but if you are letting more in than scoring its not good the ones to watch in this team is turner oneil storey and summers got told all are out of contract and as DP not giving turner and oneil a shot i am afraid to say they might not stay as they are in there last year for 19s

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 02 May 2018, 07:46

Weareone wrote:
gateman wrote:I shall be attending our under 19s match on Thursday I enjoy looking at some of the lads that hopefully will turn out for the first team , a lad I am interested to see is Lewis Carr with the reports the lad is scoring for fun at least one four timer and a few three timers under his belt this season Lewis hails from my home town club Normanton Knights is position there was full back
Dont excpect to much from the u19s not a good team this year but you can not be good every year carr is scoring but he not playing well missed tackles ect its ok scoring but if you are letting more in than scoring its not good the ones to watch in this team is turner oneil storey and summers got told all are out of contract and as DP not giving turner and oneil a shot i am afraid to say they might not stay as they are in there last year for 19s
thanks for that mate I have not seen any matches this season but last year I hardly missed a under 19 home match, I will give DP his due last year he was in attendance at most of our under 19s, you have surprised me RE Lewis having seen him at Normanton as a young lad

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 02 May 2018, 13:53

Weareone wrote:
how do you know he wont next season

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 02 May 2018, 21:10

Weareone wrote:
Think storey has looked well when he's played in back row he's a decent size and some good pace prefer him there than in backs like O'Neil gets stuckin he's a right niggley get and Turner levels above most full backs about imo I'd like to see them both get a new deal and a chance in the first team if not think some other club could swoop for them.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 03 May 2018, 00:08

I stuck up for loads of young players over the years and criticised the club for letting them go. however none seem to have gone on to better things.
jo brand is eddie warings love child