Advice on first trip to Catalans please....

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Fearless' Headguard

Advice on first trip to Catalans please....

Post by Fearless' Headguard » 02 May 2018, 03:22

Just looking for a bit of advice as finally making my first trip down to Perpignan for the game next month. I was actually fully booked for this trip about 10+ years ago but the charter flight from Leeds Bradford was cancelled early doors if I recall correctly (anyone else remember this?) I was somewhat the worse for wear after a night round Selby and just vaguely remember my Dad getting a phone call in the small hours saying the flight had been cancelled? God knows what year it was but I was deeply disapointed at the time.

Anyway I am finally going to make it this year by flying down to Girona from Holland...for the game itself I was debating wether to use the Catalans Sports Tours (who cancelled the plane all those years ago) to get there or to go on the train under my own steam.

Me and the wife are having a few days in Tossa de Mar and I understand that there is a bus that CST organizes that comes up from LLoret and picks up at a few places on route to France...so my questions are...

1. Can you always pay on the gate or is it sometimes all ticket?
2. Is the bus service best or is it easier to just go up on the train?

Thanks in advance.
The fearsome hollow boom of the older boys in the deep end, The green shoots of recovery shriveled up in harsh tomorrows, Left to pick dry sticks and mumble to myself, A melancholy emblem of parish cruelty.

takethetwo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Advice on first trip to Catalans please....

Post by takethetwo » 02 May 2018, 05:12

Find a package deal for flight and hotel in Lloret De Mar at a reputable travel agents . Once booked , go on Catalan Sports Tours and click the day you arrive , and the time your flight lands and it will show you the prices for the transfers . Once booked with them you will receive a confirmation email and a telephone number in case of emergencies . Me and some mates have booked Thursday to Sunday in Lloret for 240 pound each , fly from Manchester to Barcelona at 8:20 Thursday morning. Catalan Tours then take us from Barcelona to Lloret , Lloret to Catalan on Game Day , back to Lloret later that day , then to Barcelona Sunday morning. £52 each for transfers and tickets . Hope that helped .

Fearless' Headguard

Post by Fearless' Headguard » 02 May 2018, 05:23

takethetwo wrote:Find a package deal for flight and hotel in Lloret De Mar at a reputable travel agents . Once booked , go on Catalan Sports Tours and click the day you arrive , and the time your flight lands and it will show you the prices for the transfers . Once booked with them you will receive a confirmation email and a telephone number in case of emergencies . Me and some mates have booked Thursday to Sunday in Lloret for 240 pound each , fly from Manchester to Barcelona at 8:20 Thursday morning. Catalan Tours then take us from Barcelona to Lloret , Lloret to Catalan on Game Day , back to Lloret later that day , then to Barcelona Sunday morning. £52 each for transfers and tickets . Hope that helped .
Cheers for that mate...like I say I am actually flying down from Holland and already booked for Tossa but you recommend to use CST for transfer AND ticket then?
The fearsome hollow boom of the older boys in the deep end, The green shoots of recovery shriveled up in harsh tomorrows, Left to pick dry sticks and mumble to myself, A melancholy emblem of parish cruelty.

takethetwo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by takethetwo » 02 May 2018, 05:29

Yeah definitely worth it for the transfers and tickets mate , they take you from Girona to various resorts , and although you can pay on the gate , the deal is worth it just for the transfers .

St Albans tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by St Albans tiger » 02 May 2018, 07:19

Sounds like you have it sorted seeing as you need to go back to a resort. If for any reason you do need to take the train you can relax in the fact that they are super easy, cheap and very reliable. Have taken the train from Madrid, servile and Barcelona before without a problem.

Myself and wife are going this year and am flying to girona the day of the game and taking the train to perpignan. Takes about an hour and cost 29 euro first class. Staying over the night and then travelling on from their.

The only hitch is its a taxi from the airport to station.

Fearless' Headguard

Post by Fearless' Headguard » 02 May 2018, 07:35

Good call St Albans....thing is I would quite like to have a wander/slurp around the city itself before the game hence fancying the train option (which actually means driving to Girona from Tossa and jumping on there)...however as advertised on the CST website they say they take you in to Perpignan itself and then pick you up later to bus you to the ground. Trouble is that their website is a bit vague and doesn't give times, travelling all that way I don't want a quick turnaround really.

Davc1h

Post by Davc1h » 02 May 2018, 07:56

Fearless' Headguard wrote:Good call St Albans....thing is I would quite like to have a wander/slurp around the city itself before the game hence fancying the train option (which actually means driving to Girona from Tossa and jumping on there)...however as advertised on the CST website they say they take you in to Perpignan itself and then pick you up later to bus you to the ground. Trouble is that their website is a bit vague and doesn't give times, travelling all that way I don't want a quick turnaround really.
I went from Lloret on the CST bus last year and you usually get a couple of hours in the square at Perpignann for a drink/look round. Then back on the bus to the game.
Straight back to Lloret after the game.
Pretty well organised last year to be honest.
I will be using them again this year.

greenhouse
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by greenhouse » 02 May 2018, 09:35

If you book match transfers with CST you will get pick up times about a week before the game.always a great trip.

heppy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by heppy » 02 May 2018, 12:47

What,s wrongwith staying in Perpignan.cheap hotels good bars and restaurants.I did it in mywheelchair

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 02 May 2018, 12:53

heppy wrote:What,s wrongwith staying in Perpignan.cheap hotels good bars and restaurants.I did it in mywheelchair
Expensive beers? :)

greenhouse
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by greenhouse » 02 May 2018, 12:54

I think a lot like to meet up in the queen vic and watch the rugby on thurs -fri then after the game on saturday, it's usually a great atmosphere. :dance: :dance: :dance:

St Albans tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by St Albans tiger » 02 May 2018, 12:58

Perpignan is a lovely place - especially if the sun is shinning. Its a very easy place to spend well over a couple of hours. I personally try and get out of the main square as there are some lovely bars and restaurants off the side roads - which are very reasonably priced. The stadium is about 30 mins walk from the town centre with small bars on the way so quite an enjoyable stroll down the road.

St Albans tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by St Albans tiger » 02 May 2018, 13:05

I agree beer can be expensive - but if you get lunch and a bottle of wine and make an occasion of it then its no more expensive than say having a meal in Leeds city centre

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 02 May 2018, 13:07

But St Albans when we do Perpignan it lasts three or four days so it's quite an occasion.:)
Source bar just off the main square is a good "rugby" bar, Eric the manager is a great guy.

St Albans tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by St Albans tiger » 02 May 2018, 13:21

Source bar is that the one with the upturned wine barrels on the patio/road side for table? I think they had little leather rugby balls attached to them with team names stitched onto them

I think we have been there before and agree is a nice bar - last time we went, we had lunch in a restaurant just tucked off the main square - I think part of a small hotel - we could just about see the castle tower. We had a lovely lunch, wine, beer etc and was not too pricey - but you do pay for what you get - its a major city in the south of France and so prices will be higher than the seaside resorts in Spain.

Personally I think its worth the additional expense.

Did have to laugh though as the owner ran out to pack up all his spare outside patio furniture when he saw the 4 or 5 buses arrive in the town square

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 02 May 2018, 13:49

St Albans tiger wrote:Source bar is that the one with the upturned wine barrels on the patio/road side for table? I think they had little leather rugby balls attached to them with team names stitched onto them

I think we have been there before and agree is a nice bar - last time we went, we had lunch in a restaurant just tucked off the main square - I think part of a small hotel - we could just about see the castle tower. We had a lovely lunch, wine, beer etc and was not too pricey - but you do pay for what you get - its a major city in the south of France and so prices will be higher than the seaside resorts in Spain.

Personally I think its worth the additional expense.

Did have to laugh though as the owner ran out to pack up all his spare outside patio furniture when he saw the 4 or 5 buses arrive in the town square
Not sure mate, as you walk up the square with the canal on your right, it's off the far left corner, walk down that street twenty yds and it's in front of you. He has shirts from all clubs pinned to the ceiling. He used to have the match replayed an hour or so after the final hooter.

St Albans tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by St Albans tiger » 02 May 2018, 14:08

Just "googled" an image of it and yes its the same place - got to it via a completely different route as last time I got a little lost in the streets around the church.

It was a nice bar - been there a few times - never "too busy" but a nice mix of locals and rugby fans.

If you find yourself there at night there is a small street at the opposite end of the canal to the castle - just off the bridge with some small bars - one called "enfants terrible" - full of mid 30 locals - but a bit like a tapas bar, with lots of small evening meals being served and a really good wine list and buckets of beer. Will certainly go back there - assuming I can find it again.

corvusxiii
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by corvusxiii » 03 May 2018, 12:04

Been going to do this trip for ages but would prefer to stay in Perpignon. Any advice on hotels and transfers from the airport to town.
To finish last in the Tour de France, first you must finish.

St Albans tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by St Albans tiger » 03 May 2018, 12:44

I don't think its too far from the airport to town centre - we did it a few years ago and I think it was about 20 Euros probably nearer 30 now - if you are not in a rush its also worth just googling local buses - they are pretty reliable and only a few euro's

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 03 May 2018, 12:47

corvusxiii wrote:Been going to do this trip for ages but would prefer to stay in Perpignon. Any advice on hotels and transfers from the airport to town.
Taxi takes fifteen minutes, we stayed in the Aragon (so) hotel, Perpignan is great, you can get the number one bus (I think) to the beach.