Toronto

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Toronto

Post by stuey » 13 May 2018, 18:22

A set of thugs. Lets hope they NEVER get into SL. These so called "expansion" clubs do nothing for rl. Bring no "away" supporters with them and expect the british clubs supporters to fork out £1000`s in airfares and accomodation to watch them. KIck all 3 of them out.

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Toronto

Post by InTheKnow » 13 May 2018, 19:09

Looked real good for 38 minutes. Specially the first 20mins. Reminded me of us last year. Throwing it around in their own 20metres and not afraid to have a go.

Then it went pear shaped for them and they resorted to crazy Ness. I'm all for Toronto joining Superleague. If RL is to ever grow then we need this.

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stuey » 13 May 2018, 19:19

Why does it need to grow? What is so wrong with 12 teams based around this area. If expansion is needed stick all the teams like Toronto, Catalan etc in a World SL. and let them play among themselves. If we do need to expand, why teams from 1000`s of miles away. No income for the home clubs from "away" support, and a massive cost for players, coaches and especially supporters to go and watch them.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 13 May 2018, 19:22

stuey wrote:A set of thugs. Lets hope they NEVER get into SL. These so called "expansion" clubs do nothing for rl. Bring no "away" supporters with them and expect the british clubs supporters to fork out £1000`s in airfares and accomodation to watch them. KIck all 3 of them out.
Well you'll be disappointed then if the rumours of licensing coming back come to fruition as they'll be the first team brought in

Ridiculously rich owner who's spending some brass, decent home support and add possibilities regarding extra TV deals
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 13 May 2018, 19:26

No we don't.

If we want to expand globally then Toronto and the proposed New York, Boston etc. should be helping to create a professional American League and Catalan and Toulouse etc., should be strengthening the French league rather than the life being strangled out of good English clubs in the name of expansion.

It's killing the game and after 55 years, I for one am getting fed up of the whole thing.

43s flyer
League One Player
League One Player

Post by 43s flyer » 13 May 2018, 19:28

Thought i was watching the Thaler show :D

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 13 May 2018, 19:36

43s flyer wrote:Thought i was watching the Thaler show :D
Bet he loves watching himself back again and again...he ain't deleting that from the sky planner. :lol:

PSTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by PSTiger » 13 May 2018, 20:26

stuey wrote:A set of thugs. Lets hope they NEVER get into SL. These so called "expansion" clubs do nothing for rl. Bring no "away" supporters with them and expect the british clubs supporters to fork out £1000`s in airfares and accomodation to watch them. KIck all 3 of them out.
Toronto pay for the clubs to fly over there. They pay the flights and hotel.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 13 May 2018, 23:16

the way he talked to their captain reminded me of how he spoke to gale in 2017 (when he was captain in shenny's absence) and then winked at our opposition.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

castleman

Post by castleman » 14 May 2018, 02:55

Hmm ... Warrington behaved impeccably didn’t they? No retaliation, no taunting. A team of gentlemen...
Dixon threw a punch and was sent off for it. Rightly so. But I found it strange that the “third man in” Warrington player who tried to take Dixon’s head off was not at least sin binned. As for the three yellow cards they showed Thaler at his best. Enough said.
I think having a team like Toronto in Super League would be good for the game. I wish them the best of luck. And I look forward to them playing Wigan.

chesterfieldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chesterfieldtiger » 14 May 2018, 06:24

I agree with earlier posts. Let the foreign teams battle it out in their own leagues. Imo they bring nothing to super league at all. No away support etc etc. And remember if Toronto get in and Toulouse and a proposed new York team that's 3 less English teams. And you all know the RFLs thoughts on smaller town clubs. We'll be out quicker than Jack flash. If they can build strong leagues in Canada France and America why not a world series at the end of the season? Just my thoughts

SFOtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SFOtiger » 14 May 2018, 06:45

I think Toronto, New York etc surely see their long term future in a local competition. However, without a bunch of teams up front, Super League is a good place to hang out, at least for them. For the European sides, one has to assume there is something in it for them too?

The RFL has to see this too? If so, what is the long term benefit for the RFL? It has to be a stronger overall game in the Northern Hemisphere? The chance to have greater power in the game vs NRL, who with the whole Denver fiasco, and the World Club Challenge farce this year undermined the global game again in their own best interests.

If this is the case, the Super League should expand temporarily to accomodate North American teams that earn promotion IMO vs relegating a European team. That way we don’t damage the European game, while helping expand the game for what will ultimatley be another competition. Win-win. The problem with this, as always, would be squabbling over central funding/TV money.

I think the idea of a global (or at least Northern hemisphere) play off series is a great way to expand the game and draw in excitement, once North America has its own league.

It would be shortsighted to disasvantage European teams to give a leg up to North American teams who ultimately will go their own way, if they succeed.

Interesting times ahead. I hope the RFL are smart about this...

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stuey » 14 May 2018, 10:19

PSTiger wrote:
Toronto pay for the clubs to fly over there. They pay the flights and hotel.
Tue, but they still expect supporters to fork out for air flights and accomodation, and bring no "away" support to swell the home teams coffers.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 14 May 2018, 11:15

The owner is a billionaire, he could afford to recompense the away crowd but if they do it, do should Catalans, Salford and the rest.

Fearless' Headguard

Post by Fearless' Headguard » 14 May 2018, 13:44

Tiger53 wrote:If we want to expand globally then Toronto and the proposed New York, Boston etc. should be helping to create a professional American League and Catalan and Toulouse etc., should be strengthening the French league rather than the life being strangled out of good English clubs in the name of expansion.
Absolutely, although I can see the logic of having French teams in our league the transaltantic stuff will never work...if the NFL could not make it work how can RL?
All for expansion but the RFL bend over backwards for a team several thousand miles away while the Cumbrian game dies out.
The fearsome hollow boom of the older boys in the deep end, The green shoots of recovery shriveled up in harsh tomorrows, Left to pick dry sticks and mumble to myself, A melancholy emblem of parish cruelty.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 14 May 2018, 14:13

MØL wrote:
Bet he loves watching himself back again and again...he ain't deleting that from the sky planner. :lol:
I liked the little exchange with emmitt,
emmitt "I've been bitten sir".
thaler "are you making a formal complaint jake"
emmitt "no, I'm just telling you I've been bitten"
jo brand is eddie warings love child